All my old email has been deleted from my email server following Verizon's update push of last week to my Samsung Galaxy Note II. Now the phone will not display read but undeleted messages. I'm loosing vital email messages and haven't discovered why. T
spcline

Verizon pushed out an update to my Samsung Galaxy Note II phone last week   It deleted all my past read but undeleted emails from my email server.  I've lost some vitial email communications.  Haven't been able to discover why.  Removing and reinstalling my email account doesn't appear to have fixed the issue.  Anyone else experience this issue?  Any solutions?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: All my old email has been deleted from my email server following Verizon's update push of last week to my Samsung Galaxy Note II. Now the phone will not display read but undeleted messages. I'm loosing vital email messages and haven't discovered why
Patience_Gone
Contributor - Level 3

Did you log on to your email account from a PC to verify if the emails were on the main server?

If your settings have it set to remove the emails from the email server and save them locally on your phone or tablet, then you MUST backup your phone's files manually---and often. 

Here's some places to check

1) Start with your email server from a PC. Login to your email account with your computer.  Are the files there? Check Folders

Yes--Then change your phone settings to download the older emails.  You may have it set to download only 10 most recent.

If No--then try the other options below, but before you log out, change your sync settings to leave messages on the server. 

2) Check your External SD card for the backup files

3) Check if you backed up data to a Cloud server.

4) Check if any other devices you may have your email account setup on.  Like a tablet, or an old backup phone still connected to wifi. ( I'll pick up one of my old phones and find tons of old emails loaded on it. )

If you didn't backup your files and you have your email settings set to remove the emails from the server to your phone, then you are probably out of luck. 

Going forward---1) leave emails on the server.  2) Save to your ext SD card   3) ALWAYS backup App data files including photos, text msg, call logs, app configurations from your INTERNAL SD card before installing ANY update.  Some updates will wipe your phone clean...some will not. 

Better to be safe than sorry.  Hope this helps

0 Likes
Re: All my old email has been deleted from my email server following Verizon's update push of last week to my Samsung Galaxy Note II. Now the phone will not display read but undeleted messages. I'm loosing vital email messages and haven't discovered why
spcline

Thanks for your help on this but yes, I've done all that more than once. Checking my email server confirmed that most everything has been deleted.  And I did have the phone set to not delete emails off the server - kind of a golden rule with me.  This behavior began right after the update push by Verizon last week.  Update SCH-1605_ND3_to_ND7 was pushed out to my phone on June 18th at 13:25 PDST.  Following that update everything email wise was gone.  There is not a new 'Read Messages' folder where many of the recent emails since that date are visible - but nothing before the update.  In any event it should never have communicated with my server with the message to delete everything.

My SD card is full of other stuff but I'll take a quick look at it and see what's there.  That still won't restore messages back to my email server.

Stephen

0 Likes
Re: All my old email has been deleted from my email server following Verizon's update push of last week to my Samsung Galaxy Note II.  Now the phone will not display read but undeleted messages.  I'm loosing vital email messages and haven't discovered why
Patience_Gone
Contributor - Level 3

I don't know what email you are using (Yahoo, work,  Exchange Server, Google, Hotmail, ect.) but an update would not (should not ) change your email sync settings on your email server. It may turn email sync on or off on your phone, but for google, yahoo, hotmail, it will not change the sync settings you have to wipe your emails from the server. Not with a Samsung Android phone.  This had to be in place before the update and Kit Kat just wiped it clean.  Sorry.  

Kit Kat is totally different from Jelly Bean and it does not play.  Jelly Bean is like the fun 3rd grade teacher that likes to go on field trips, finger painting, graham cracker cookies and have picnics and do all sorts of fun things.  Kit Kat is a prison warden with a bat and gun and it does not play when it comes to permissions and security. It will crack a whip and block services.   It will only give certain apps permissions to do certain things.  It will turn your email off, if it doesnt like the way you have it setup or the app you are using.  It will block your outgoing Text messages without warning you if you have 2 or more text apps downloaded.  It will block your wi-fi all together.  It is not friendly, especially if your phone was made for Jelly Bean. 

0 Likes