After one year, my Droid Razr Maxx is shutting off on its own.
TedDanson

After one year without problems, my Droid Razr Maxx has begun to shut off and occasionally restart on its own several times a day. Sometimes when it shuts off, it can take as long as fifteen minutes before it will start again.

I have tried deleting all of the applications I've installed since recently before the problem began, but the problem persists. Is this a known issue? Have there been any recent updates that might be causing this behavior? Does anyone have any additional things I can try before sending my phone to Verizon?

Thank you.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: After one year, my Droid Razr Maxx is shutting off on its own.
tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Try a system cache clear; it doesn't take that long and shouldn't erase any of your data:

Power down phone

Hold volume up/down & power simultaneously until you see the Boot Mode Selection Menu

Use volume down to navigate to 'Recovery', use volume up to select

Should see screen with triangle and exclamation point next to an Android

Press volume up/down simultaneously to go into system recovery

Use volume rocker to navigate to 'wipe cache' and use power button to select

Once finished, use volume rocker to navigate to 'reboot system now' and use power button to select

0 Likes
B33
Legend

It shouldn't be Ted i have the same exact phone " 2"  of them and mine are running Ok what OS are you currently Running on your Razr Maxx  ICS or Jelly Bean?

0 Likes
djysrv1
Enthusiast - Level 3

I also have this problem which occurs under two sets of conditions. First, if the device is left on charge for a couple of hours after getting to 100% it shuts down and cannot be re-started with the power button. The second is that if I take the device out of my belt holder and leave it alone for a couple of hours, it shuts down the same way,

How to re-start the phone

For both conditions, the device can be re-started by simultaneously holding the power button and the lower end of the volume button.  This produces what is called a "soft boot."

It has worked every time so far since the problem cropped up earlier this year. I got the device in March 2013.

Addressing the cause

Verizon in its forums advises users to clean the cache with a complicated series of steps that drop the user into a normally hidden portion of the operating system.  See URL below.

https://community.verizonwireless.com/thread/801488

I am using Easy Cache (URL below) to clean out trash files that accumulate on the device,  Unlike prior versions of Android, in 4.1.2, here is no easily accessible menu option to do this.  So far over a period of several months I have not had any issues with Easy Cache other than its constant promotion of additional Apps in which I have no interest.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.bazinga.cacheclean&hl=en

Note that trash files accumulate quickly and that a clean out at least every other day can remove several hundred megabytes of temporary files.

Theories about the cause of the problem.

The first is that in the case of leaving device on charge for too long produces a false signal to the operating system of an extremely low battery condition and the device shuts down. 

The second is that in the case of leaving the device on a desk for several hours,with no detectable motion, sets off a routine in the operating system to protect the battery draining completely. This issue is a head-scratcher since there is really no difference between doing that and leaving the phone on your nightstand for 6-8 hours while you sleep.

Feedback to Verizon and Motorola.

This problem needs to be fixed. A review of various Android forums on the Internet shows a lot of traffic about it some of it going back more than a year.  See this shortened version of the Google search string http://bit.ly/13Q6pkp

This is not something you can stick you heads in the sand about as disgruntled customers are reporting in this problem forums, and with increasing frequency, they are returning the phones or seeking alternatives.

0 Likes