Adding Memory to S5
Darboy55

Want to add memory to the Galaxy S5 that was purchased a year ago  16g Is not enough and I have very few apps and pictures on the phone.  See how memory can be added that is NOT the question here.   When I opened the back did not expect a SIM Card.  I expected the SIM slot to be empty, all that needed to be done would be to add the 128g  micro SD card and move on.  Not the case.  So here are the questions.

1. Can the memory of the S5 be upgraded that is using Verizon Network?
  2. What is on the SIM card currently in the phone? Is that the 16g of memory for the S5 or the programing for the phone itself.
  3. If the S5 can be upgraded is there a written set of instructions that someone can point me too?  I have yet to buy the M-SD Card so not out any cash yet but I would like the additional memory on he phone.  .
Labels (1)
Tags (3)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Adding Memory to S5
Snn5
Legend

1:  yes

2:  SIM has your subscriber info on it so the phone can communicate with Verizon's network.  It contains no memory as that is built into the phone on the inside.

3:  How to insert and replace the SD card on the Galaxy S5 | Android Central

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Snn5
Legend

1:  yes

2:  SIM has your subscriber info on it so the phone can communicate with Verizon's network.  It contains no memory as that is built into the phone on the inside.

3:  How to insert and replace the SD card on the Galaxy S5 | Android Central

0 Likes
Darboy55

Snn5,  Thank you for the quick response. So if we add memory we have no phone.  If I want a phone I can not increase the storage.  I took the sim card out... had connectivity to wifi.. but no phone which is what I expected. So what I had was a hand held computer.    Seems like a limitation, if I want a phone we have 16g of memory.  If we don't need a phone we can use the device like a computer.  Or is there is something yet I do not understand.  If so please advise. I am far from an expert but can be a quick study.

0 Likes
Snn5
Legend

I think what you are missing here is that the phone has 2 cards in it.  A SIM card which is required for the phone to work as a phone and use data on Verizon.  The other card which might not have come with the phone and is added separately is the SD card which EXPANDS the memory you have in the phone.  One ists on top of the other in the same spot...there are 2 slots.  Reference the pic where it lists Micro SD/SIM in the same area.  You MUST have the SIM.  The SD card ADDS memory to what you have already.  The phone has an unchangeable INTERNAL memory and you can expand that memory with an SD card which is the EXTERNAL memory.

0 Likes
Darboy55

OH BOY.......  age old say... he who can read and does not has no advantage over he who can not read...  Took a harder longer look at that procedure for adding memory...  now I see it... the M-SD card is installed above the SIM... missed that boat 3 times looking at it.... should have read it a bit closer.... This post is closed and answered.. thank you.

0 Likes
Snn5
Legend

You're welcome  and glad that answered that! 

0 Likes