ATTENTION ERIS OWNERS: PLEASE READ!!
Dangerous_Dave
Contributor - Level 2

I called HTC tech support today regarding the issue of losing all phone sounds intermittently since the 2.1 update, which my Eris has been experiencing all week, and my daughter's Eris experienced for the first time last night. Imagine my surprise when they told me this was the first they've heard of it!!! I told them I find that hard to believe since the internet is absolutely ablaze with people complaining about the same issue. Their answer...people may be complaining on the internet, but they're not complaining to us! So as far as HTC is concerned, there's no such problem! So now I implore all of you who are experiencing this intermittent loss of all phone sounds on your Eris since the 2.1 update to PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE call HTC tech support and tell them about this problem so that they can document your complaint and know that there really is a problem to fix! Verizon may or may not be listening here, but HTC are the ones who ultimately have to actually FIX this problem. Please...let them know there IS a problem! I was on hold for a little more than five minutes before getting a live human, but it has to be done if we want our phones fixed.

[removed phone number]

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: ATTENTION ERIS OWNERS: PLEASE READ!!
Dangerous_Dave
Contributor - Level 2
While I would like to post the phone number here for HTC tech support, apparently, posting that type of information violates the terms of service of this forum. Fortunately, the ever-friendly phone representatives at Verizon wireless will be happy to furnish that number to you.
0 Likes
ChloesMom

I'm in GA and mine did it for the 1st time today about 11am today. Calling Verizon now. Thx

0 Likes
Dangerous_Dave
Contributor - Level 2

ChloesMom wrote:

I'm in GA and mine did it for the 1st time today about 11am today. Calling Verizon now. Thx

Thankyou! My daughter had the update on her phone for about five days before the problem occured for the first time. So just because some people haven't experienced the problem yet, doesn't mean they aren't going to. It is very intermittent. Please people...call Verizon and HTC so we can get this fixed!
0 Likes
thenestor

There are a ton of people having the same exact problem here:

http://androidforums.com/htc-droid-eris/66298-phon e-useless-when-phone-goes-silent-multiple-times-w...

1. It appears after upgrading to Android 2.1.

2. It can appear in phones using the OTA update, a rooted ROM, or a leaked upgrade.

3. Not all phones are affected, so it might be a hardware problem.  (Some phones will NEVER experience this bug, while some get it regularly.)

4. Hard reset does not solve it; the problem always comes back in phones that are affected.

5. Even with NO THIRD-PARTY APPS installed, the bug still shows up eventually on affected phones.

6. Temporary solution is a reboot or soft reset (battery pull), but the bug will come back.

7. The only known "permanent" solution is a warranty replacement.

The core problem is that the audio drivers get stuck in an endless loop.  No one knows what causes that.  This is what shows up in the debugging log (repeated twice per second until reboot):

WARN/AudioTrack(57): obtainBuffer timed out (is the CPU pegged?) 0x8eb58 user=00001468, server=00000000
0 Likes
sswrighton
Enthusiast - Level 2

Well, they lied then.

I sent a trouble ticket into HTC on this on 5/20/2010.

0 Likes
delia741

I have this same problem with my phone practically every other day since the update - my phone also seems to be much slower and the touch screen less responsive, I often have to touch the screen 4-5 times for the desired option to open which did not happen before.

0 Likes
sswrighton
Enthusiast - Level 2

Got this response from HTC this morning:

Thank you for your response. We are currently aware of this issue and working to address this in the next MR (ROM update). Like all ROM updates, we cannot provide the exact date for an expected release, as there may be delays that are out of HTC’s control.

0 Likes
shnan629

Are we supposed to be talking to Verizon or to HTC about this problem?  I've also  been experiencing this problem, sometimes multiple times a day, and the only way to fix it is to turn the phone off and on again.  It happens with outbound and inbound calls.

Like everyone else, it didn't happen until after the 2.1 update.

0 Likes
shelleb

Same problems here.Including having to pinch screen when browsing internet. Main problem is the audio.  I've contacted Verizon and they mentioned that they are not aware that the problems I'm having are related to the 2.1 update. I contacted HTC. The Rep was honest enough to say that many of the issues I'm having are related to the latest update. She was able to help me with the weather widget which wouldn't load after the update, but that was the least of my problems. She mentioned that there will be some type of "FIX" but had no more info such as when it would occur.When I contact Verizon the Techs tell me to do a soft reset or hard reset..but the problems continue.  I'm not sure what to do at this point. Noth Happy:womanmad: Does anyone have any recent info from Verizon or HTC regarding these issues?

0 Likes