APN settings locked - not receiving MMS
Cleveland19335
Enthusiast - Level 2

On Saturday I purchased an unlocked Sony Xperia XA2 at Best Buy - they pulled the SIM card out of my S7 and used the same one.

On Sunday I realized I was not getting MMS messages (pics) being sent. I use a third party messaging app - Textra - that never caused any issues on my previous phone, but Textra occasionally gives a notification that it is trying to get MMS messages.

I did some research on this and found that the APN settings are not correct, in fact those related to MMS are blank.

There is no plus sign to add a new APN. And the existing APN cannot be edited except for the actual APN field (VZWINTERNET). I can delete this APN but then I am only given the option to reset default, and that gives me the same blank fields with out ability to edit.

I've tried removing Textra and using the default Sony messenger - that didn't work. I downloaded Verizon Message+ and that did not work either.

Did reboots after each, setting as default, etc.

On the screen prior to the APN there is a button to download internet and mms settings - and that also sets it the same as above.

Took the phone back to Best Buy - they couldn't figure it out.

Took the phone to Verizon store - they changed my SIM card, but still would not let us edit the APN settings.

Called Verizon Tier 2 support - they tried pushing the info to the phone, nothing. They called Sony supporter and handed me off to them.

Sony could not figure it out, but they are supposed to call me back today.

Since then, I am guessing the phone is going back if I can't get MMS so I popped the sim card out and put it back in the S7.

Now the S7 is having the same issue - I no way to edit the fields the APN MMS fields and I am not receiving the picture messages.

On both phones I can still reach the internet while on the VZW LTE network.

The only app that is new to me is the Xperia data transfer that I used to transfer contacts. I have since uninstalled it on the S7.

Labels (1)
Tags (2)
Re: APN settings locked - not receiving MMS
goldw130
Enthusiast - Level 2

I get this message a lot on my Galaxy S8 using Textra. There seems to be an ongoing issue with Verizon and getting group texts on Androids that Verizon doesn't want to fix. There are many, many threads on these boards relating to it, and Verizon customer service people will respond with the same canned messages that do not address the issue at all. I have no idea how to actually get in touch with someone at Verizon who will listen. It's absolutely infuriating, and I would leave Verizon in a heartbeat if there weren't other people on my plan. No one else I know with an Android on other carriers have this problem.

0 Likes
Cleveland19335
Enthusiast - Level 2

That really stinks - I love textra. Got the MMS working with the stock

message app, I think it's google. UGH...it's horrible.

Do you know if it is all third party messaging apps or just textra? I can

try something else out that gets me off the standard google and Verizon

options.

0 Likes
goldw130
Enthusiast - Level 2

I've had trouble getting MMS messages on all apps, including the stock apps. Textra just happens to share what the issue is, which apparently is some issue with the Android operating system and Verizon. Many people have investigated this for awhile now, and say it comes down to a bug with Verizon. I don't know that much about technology, so I might be talking out of my behind, but that would make sense if the issue is with the APN, because APNs are carrier-specific.

0 Likes
Cleveland19335
Enthusiast - Level 2

I guess I'm lucky then with the stock.

seems if VZW would unlock the apn settings it would be fixed.

0 Likes
rambler011
Enthusiast - Level 2

I bought a Umidigi A5 pro, which is a global phone. Since I have been a customer for less than 60 days, my apn's are locked and can't be adjusted. When compared to the apn of my Samsung A50 which I bought in the store when I signed up for service, there are things missing in the Umidigi phone that are listed in the A50. I can send text with the A5 pro, but can't receive them (simple text, no mms) so I do want to put those things into the Umidigi that are missing as I figure that is the issue. I did put same sim card in another phone, a motorola G7 Power and text worked both ways just fine. The following is the list of settings that Verizon has listed in the apn, if not listed it is to be left blank, unspecified.

apn - vzwinternet

MCC - 311

MNC - 480

APN TYPE - default, dunn, supl

APN protocol - IPv4/IPv6

APN roaming protocol - IPv4

BEARER - HSPA, GPRS, EDGE, eHRPD, UMTS, LTE, HSPAP, IWLAN, HSDPA, HSUPA

Mobile Virtual Network Operator Type - GID

Mobile Virtual Network Operator Value - BAE0000000000000  - (13 zeros, carefully counted)

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thank you for visiting our community forum, rambler011. We know being able to use all of your phone's features is always important. We're sorry to hear about the complications. To clarify, is the  information you listed what you're currently finding under the G7 APN info, or the Umidigi phone's? Have you reached out to Umidigi about editing this information? EricW_VZW

karl_hungus
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have the same issue with a Motorola G6 from Amazon.

I had the same issue with a Mororola G4. One the G4 I was able to edit the APN settings. Simply changing the APN Type from "default,dun,supl" to "default,supl,mms" fixes the problem.

However, someone somewhere decided we should not be able to do that.

karl_hungus
Enthusiast - Level 1

Please see my reply to OP regarding the solution.

acevan90
Enthusiast - Level 1

Did anyone ever get this fixed?!? I'm work from home and have lots of MMS messages from group texts and it's getting out of hand. Verizon Support via twitter just wants me to reset my network settings which doesn't resolve it.