ALLY NEWBIE/DROID NEWBIE... NEED APP ADVICE
kell089

My first Droid pone, heck my first phone I use the internet on. I'm new to this whole scene, especially ALL these Apps.

I do pretty basic things on my phone, nothing technical or anything what-so-ever. Im just curious if there are any apps i should DEFINITELY install. For safety reasons, certain software, any advice would be helpful! 

I've heard that i should definitely have: 1. Task Manager  2. Task Killer

Is this true? untrue?

HELP PLEASE, I'M CLUELESS. THANKS!! ❤️

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: ALLY NEWBIE/DROID NEWBIE... NEED APP ADVICE
TheGreatOne
Master - Level 1

I don't use task manager and task killer. About task killer...there ar many different view points on to whether a person should get it. Some people say it is not needed & others say it is.

The apps I would recommend are:

• Opera Mini 5 beta - Just a faster browser & an easier browser to navigate around
  • RingDroid - Make free ringtones with the songs in your phone or record ringtones
  • Ringo Lite - You can assign ringtones to callers & a ringtone to text messages
  • SMS Backup - Backup's up your text messages to your SD card
0 Likes
AZSALUKI
Legend

i use advanced task manager....but you need to create an "ignore list" to tell it what NOT to kill (calendar, alarm clock, etc....use common sense and think about what you don't want to stop running).

my favs are:

aloqa

appbrain

qik

shop savvy

es file explorer

and for fun/entertainment:

abduction

frozen bubble

grid droid

tmz

onn

pandora

0 Likes
Harley_Chick
Enthusiast - Level 1

Apps are a very personal choice - a lot depends on what you are into. 

For fun/interesting stuff, I highly recommend Google Goggles, Bump and Google Sky Map. 

For text messaging, I love Handcent SMS. 

Radios:  Pandora and Last.fm.  For Twitter, I use Touiteur (again, personal choice). 

For facebook, I use an app called Fbook.

I have a battery program literally called "Battery Indicator" that puts a battery percentage on my toolbar - much easier to read than the little disappearing "battery".

And yes, I do have Advanced Task Killer.  I'm still undecided whether or not I need it (I'm still pretty new to this whole Adroid thing myself). 

And the best part, all of these apps are FREE on the App Market! 

Good luck and have fun with it.  The Ally is a great little phone! 

0 Likes
demmo86rt
Champion - Level 3
This is the best resource I have found that explains why you don't need a task killer: http://androinica.com/2010/05/07/google-and-cyanogen-comments-imply-task-killermanager-apps-are-poin... I have one installed, but only to handle rogue apps that won't shut down and those get installed immediately. I used to use an auto killer but it just seemed to cause more problems unless I ignored nearly everything and I just didn't see the point in that. On the other hand, some of my favorite apps are: Handcent Last.fm Swype, an alternative keyboard only available as a beta from their website. Unfortunately, the beta is closed right now. Dolphin HD, a web browser. I'm having issues with it right now and not currently using it but they say there's a major update coming that I hope fixes it. And the two best games in the market, Armored Strike Online and Alchemy.
0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader
My favorite apps are (in no order) :

Real signal
Battery left widget
Sound manager
Aldiko
Shazam
Flixster
Sensorly
Colornote

And although I don't use it a lot, Amazonmp3 update in the market. It fixed the constant background running of preinstalled version that came with my Droid Eris. Now the only time I see it running is when the phone starts (and I quickly kill that) or when I actually run the application.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes