6 hr battery life on a Droid Eris out of the box
mannyr

Hello eveyone.

I need help I just changed my blackberry storm for the Droid Eris.

Right out of the box and charged the battery lasts 8 hrs tops then it's decresed to 6 hrs.

THhis drop was due to my twitter and facebook usage which is very low and some emails that come in now.  I cant surf the net due to the battery drop.

My old storm would go on for 2 days 1 full day with heavy usage. This is a new phone...what gives?

Thx.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: 6 hr battery life on a Droid Eris out of the box
wgbeatty

You may find that after a few charge/discharge cycles, the battery life may improve. It will help to not have things like Wi-Fi, Syncing, Bluetooth and GPS on all the time as well.

Those that I know who have BB's, do get more battery than typical Adroid phone users.

Does your Eris have Android 2.1 on it?

Warren

0 Likes
PJNC284
Master - Level 2

The Eris isn't exactly known for superior battery life.  6hrs does seem a bit low though.  You may want to drop the refresh rates of the twitter/facebook apps in the settings.  If you have the weather/clock widget using your gps location and adjust the refresh rate if available.  You can also go to Settings, About, Battery and see what is using the most battery.

0 Likes
mannyr

Hello

I running Android 2.1

And I have all those settings to check every 3 hrs and The GPS is off, plus wifi and BT off as well.

Still the battery drains right before your eyes.

Is this normal in these phones????

i feel like returning it.

I fell like a dork hauling the adapter everywhere.

0 Likes
MidnightStar1

I heard that The Eris has battery issues. I do agree with the answers you rcvd thus far but if I were you I would get the Seidio Innocell 3500 mah battery. It can be found on the web but here is a link so you can see it   http://www.amazon.com/Seidio-Innocell-Extended-Battery-Droid/dp/B003602HIE

I am religious about batteries. Always get the highest capacity battery cause I have yet to own a phone or mobile device that has a battery sufficient to handle the work load I lay upon it.

Yes, close those apps when not using but also spare the worry if you don't

0 Likes
mannyr

I thank you for the info on the extended battery.

I love the phone, but not to buy a $52 battery. I'm thinking of returning it.

Anyone know if the Incredible has better battery life.

0 Likes
PJNC284
Master - Level 2

The Incredible really isn't that great neither.  Heck, it seems like all of the HTC devices running SenseUI (Eris, Incredible, Evo)  have less than stellar battery life.  Try viewing your Battery Usage under About in the settings when the phone is about dead and see what's taking the most battery. 

0 Likes
TheGreatOne
Master - Level 1

You may want to consider getting an extended battery for the phone. Yes extend battery is expensive,but well worth it. I read somewhere that you can enable airplane mode to make your battery last. That'll actually turn off all wireless connections & i believe even calls. I have used it before & it does save up battery life. Another tip is to get a pouch/case for the device. Having it near your body (like in your pocket) might just increase the battery life to drain. It has something to do with your body temp.

I grabbed this from a yahoo article.....

Dim It

The brighter your screen, the more juice you're using. If you're in a dimly lit room, turn down your screen's brightness.If you use your smartphone  to play music, lower the volume.

Stop Searching

It is great that you can use Bluetooth technology to connect your smartphone to a headset, or use Wi–Fi to speed up the downloading of e–mail messages. But when you're not using that headset or not near a Wi–Fi hot spot, turn off those features on the phone.

Skip a Generation

Your smartphone is also continually looking for a cellphone signal. If you're in a weak signal area, your phone must work even harder to find one, decreasing battery life. If you know that there is no coverage in your area, turn off your portable device's mobile capabilities

Check Mail Manually

Mobile smartphones can check for e–mail messages and instant messages automatically. Or they can be set to "push" notifications as soon as they arrive in your server's mailbox.

Both strategies can be power hogs. To increase your battery life, turn off push and increase the interval between when the phone checks for new messages. Or better, set up your phone to check for messages manually.

0 Likes
mannyr

We found out that it's due to poor reception here at work, the 3g keeps switching to roam and so on all day.

this drains the battery, Yester day I was off and the battery lasted from noon to 11 pm, still a sad excuse for

battery life but better.

thx to all.

0 Likes
MrHost
Enthusiast - Level 3
It isn't the phones fault. It is due to an under amped battery. It is a strong phone that needs more juice. I would be hard pressed to believe the motorola droid or any other android phone has a huge difference in battery time. If there is a huge difference you don't use the phone as much as some of us do then. I purchased the 1750 battery from seido. Would have got the next one up the 3500 if it had been the price it is now. I recommend buying two and an external charger. I am getting ready to buy another 1750 and charger. This will increase the life of the battery for two reason primary reasons. Proper time for charging and the fact it isn't in use makes the charging cycle much better and effecient. I work in a hospital and get my phone searching quite often, from one netowork type to the next. I can get a solid 12 hours with 20% left at thend of the night when I get home. I have FB chat up litterally all the time bloo, I don't twitter that much but I get updates. I get mail pushed via gmail now. I do use wi-fi off and on as well. Since I'm in doors I don't actually leave the gps on, waste of power in general. Any of the newest smartphones have an underpowered battery. BB doesn't use use the web in the same fashion as android does and it isn't multitasking which is one of the big killers ont he phone. Use a task killer, select the improtant apps to ignor and make sure it cancels stocks and mp3 store, waste of cpu there. You can maximize the power you get with the battery you have, but the 3500, will add a small bit of thickness, but who really wants a hardworking model for a phone. She (the phone) just doesn't feel the same. Sorry to ramble so much, but it gets me when people say it is the phones fault or HTC is the cause. I disabled sense UI for a week and used the open UI that android has. I lost an hour and a half on the average daily, so I have to say from doing that and then turning it back on and getting the missed time back sense UI isn't the cause. I didn't notice any extra pps running when I used the open UI so I have no idea why it acted that way. It coudl have been caused by background jobs that the Sense UI uses but wasn't since it wasn't enabled and the services still ran, now that I mention that I need to check that out. It is the wrong battery fo the job, plain and simple. Replace your moto droid batteries and you will see a huge difference too. You can charge the new batteries for less time(4 hours or less pending on charger) and they will say full, but you get bad results when you short change your batteries charge time. To get the most out of my batteries, I charge them for a full 8 hours, the reason I am getting another battery and ext charger with dock.(http://store.androidcentral.com/mobi-products-cradle-w-spare-battery-slot/5A100A6693.htm) and the battery I am getting (http://store.androidcentral.com/seidio-innocell-1750mah-extended-battery/8A37A6399.htm) or the bigger battery (http://store.androidcentral.com/seidio-innocell-3500mah-extended-battery/8A37A6374.htm) You can find better prices but these are for reference. A note on airplane mode: It disable all radios in the phone. You will not receive calls and txt/mms messages. Basically it turns your phone into a PDA. You can enable the wi-fi for access. Since I replaced my battery I don't do it that often but sometimes I find it neccesary to use airplane mode for some of the remote desktop use I do on my phone.
0 Likes