4G Hotspot on LG Spectrum
Bob303

We have a new LG Spectrum primarily for the hotspot.  The hotspot function starts fine and the two computers connect OK but the connection frequently goes dead.  Dead meaning the browser can't get data.  Also the Speed value on the computer's Wireless Network Connection Status goes down.  From 54 to 38 or 24 or 1.  "Repair" fixes it for a while.  We have been using a Fivespot on these computers for about a year with little difficulty and that still works.  Any ideas?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: 4G Hotspot on LG Spectrum
Bob303

Verizon tech support thinks the phone is bad and is sending a new one.  Hope that fixes it.

0 Likes
Ramblin_Bob

I sent my LG Spectrum back to Verizon this week on day 13.  We never could get the hotspot function to work reliably.  (I used to be Bob303 but with the account closed that id is gone.)

The problem was as described in my first post except the correct speed reading I would get were 48, 36, 24.  The speed of 1 never showed up on the second phone.  The problem seemed to occur mostly in the morning in the 7 o'clock hour local time more or less.  Late in the day there were few problems.

The new phone didn't fix anything and only delayed work on the problem as I lost 4 days waiting for it.

The Fivespot we have been using for over a year did and still does work fine.  This tells me the problem is probably not with our computers or environment.

The Spectrum worked fine tethered.  In fact it was 50% faster than when on the hotspot.  That's seems like a lot of overhead.  This tells me the Verizon network and the Spectrum's interface to it are probably not the problem. 

At one point we thought that maybe the 4G data speed was more than some component could keep up with so on the last day we set the phone to 3G, CDMA as the phone calls it, put it right where the Fivespot usually sits, observed appropriate signal strength and data speed and that failed, too.

On the next to last day I spoke with LG tech support and that person thought I should run with the firewall and antivirus turned off.  Thank you very much but I don't think so.  The Fivespot works fine with them.

In asking around locally I have yet to find anyone who uses a cellular data connection at the time of day my problems usually occurred.  That points to the network but the Fivespot doesn't have any problem with it.

My conclusion is that there is a problem with the Spectrum's wifi router function.  Other than that it seemed like a fine phone.  If I had spent less time on the line with Verizon tech support I might even have enjoyed it.

Good luck,

Bob

0 Likes
Ramblin_Bob

We've now been running a Mifi 4620L Jetpack hotspot for five full days and there have been no significant problems.  It runs as reliably as the Fivespot but a lot faster and has none of the problems maintaining a hotspot connection as we saw with the LG Spectrum.

So my opinion is that there is something wrong with the LG Spectrum hotspot function.  If you are counting on it, be sure to test it thoroughly before you're stuck with the device.

Bob

0 Likes