4.4 kit kat update
jhurley19

Hey, I was wondering when and how to get the new 4.4 kitkat update on droid razr m.

thanks

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: 4.4 kit kat update
rosedillinger90
Enthusiast - Level 2

Probably next year. Then again, their properties are as clear as a Salvador Dali painting so you may get it next month! After all they choose to update the two year old Droid DNA, but not the Note 3 >.> it's like a dart board with them. Wherever the darts land, that's where they'll focus.

_darkzero_
0 Likes
DesertMama
Enthusiast - Level 2

You really don't want the update!  It's horrible!  my poor RAZR M will never be the same!!!  Smiley Sad

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thanks for the feedback, DesertMama. A new operating system can take some getting used to. What is going on that makes it horrible?

jurley19, the update is now available, but it doesn't get pushed to everyone all at one. Keep in mind it can take up to 4 weeks to be pushed. Generally 2 weeks after it is released (5/12/14), you can pull it yourself.  http://vz.to/1klhoKQ 

TamaraH_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
sabaker59
Enthusiast - Level 1

If they have not updated your phone yet, you can manually update it. But don't be in a hurry. The new Kitkat is not all that great. They tell you all about the "new" changes but don't mentioned everything they took away or made worse.

DesertMama
Enthusiast - Level 2

Tamara_H:  Here is what I posted about my experience with the KitKat update:

Will there be a "fix" for the KitKat update on my RAZR M phone??  I ran the update last week on my phone....lots of "cosmetic" changes on the phones screen - the app icons look a little nicer, etc.  However, I could not send or receive texts.  I tried restarting several times.  I finally took it to Verizon store, where they tried a "soft reboot", a "hard reboot", etc. and still no luck.  Then, he went into the app itself, and hit "clear data", and it seemed to do the trick - I am now able to send and receive texts...but they take forever to send and receive.  And, sending texts to a group is totally different - they don't show up as separate conversation with each person, they show up as individual conversations under one heading (the list of names in the group I sent to)...very aggravating.  Also, I used to be able to go up to the little "menu" in the upper right corner, and "insert smiley" - that is no longer an option!  Also, I cannot multi-select messages within a "conversation" (under a person's name) to delete - I have to select message I want deleted, then the drop down menu comes up and I can select to delete that one message (or lock, forward, etc.)...

The flashing LED light doesn't work quite right.  It used to flash green when I received a text message or email message and blue when I had FaceBook notifications.  Now it blinks a sort of white-blue color for any and all notifications.  It does still blink red for low battery.

ALL of my ringtones were reset...every single one of them. I had ringtones set for various callers, various notifications, etc., but every single one of them was changed to a "default" ringtone - and not even the "default" that they were when the phone was brand new. I've had to go back in and reset every single calendar, email, facebook, alarm, ringtone, etc.  Very frustrating!!!

The alarm function/interface is totally different...not just the change in the alarm tone, but the actual physical appearance.  Not sure I'm at all happy about it.

The battery life sucks now.  My battery will be half dead halfway thru the day...and that's with minimal use!!  I can usually be at 80% battery life by noon - with this new "update", I'm lucky the phone doesn't die by noon!!!

Also, I keep getting random error messages...the latest was something like "Google Search has quit working/responding" - and I wasn't even using Google Search - I had just opened phone to check a text message!!!  What the heck??

Wi-fi signal strength doesn't seem so good either, even when right next to the wi-fi antenna at work...my little wi-fi "wedge" indicator at top of phone display never gets "full", and it never turns blue anymore.

Signal strength sucks...and I lose GPS signal when using my Maps app in areas I've never had trouble in before!

I have a little banner I set up on my phone on the "phone lock screen" that has my name and lists my drug allergies just in case.  It is still there - but a lot smaller, harder to read.  I tried finding where I can go in and modify it (settings - display), but nowhere in there is a place to modify that banner - I can only modify Brightness, Wallpaper, Font Size, etc....

I'm so very unhappy and frustrated.  I can deal with a few cosmetic changes, but this is totally ridiculous!!!  Can this info please be shared with the developers?  Can you tell me if there will be any updates or "fixes" to this update that will address these issues??

Thank you.