4.4.2 Broke bluetooth on Razr Maxx HD
nurbles

My Droid Razr Maxx HD downloaded and installed the 4.4.2 system update yesterday afternoon.  Luckily, it was still connected to the charger when I noticed the update was available, so it was fully charged and powered before, during and after the update.

Not long after the update was done, I tried to connect the bluetooth headset I've been using since I got the phone.  However, the phone says the only bluetooth device I have is a Roku.

I've tried rebooting the phone and that didn't help.  Some research on line shows that Nexus owners have created a thread over 21,000 entries long about a bluetooth problem they're having since they got the update, so I'm thinking there is something seriously wrong with the update itself.

I'm open to almost any ideas, suggestions, etc. but not quite brave enough to try any that involve rooting the phone.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: 4.4.2 Broke bluetooth on Razr Maxx HD
notbitter
Enthusiast - Level 3

It sounds like you might have to pair the device to your phone again (if I'm misreading what you are describing, I apologize).  If your headphones don't show up in the list of available devices, you may just want to set the headphones into pairing mode and press "search for available devices" on your phone.  Once the headphones show up, click "pair."

Hope this helps.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
nancyh11

Unfortunately, I don't have an answer....I haven't been able to pair my Razor Maxx HD with my Honda CRV Handsfree (Bluetooth) since the upgrade...THANKS VERIZON for such great service>>>>>>>>>>

0 Likes
notbitter
Enthusiast - Level 3

It sounds like you might have to pair the device to your phone again (if I'm misreading what you are describing, I apologize).  If your headphones don't show up in the list of available devices, you may just want to set the headphones into pairing mode and press "search for available devices" on your phone.  Once the headphones show up, click "pair."

Hope this helps.

0 Likes
Pyroprophet

My wife and I both have the Razr Maxx HD and we both just upgraded to 4.4.2 and the OTA worked perfectly and both phones are incredibly fast and responsive.  All lag and freezing are gone.  The phone is enjoyable again.  Both phones are working great.  Bluetooth and WIFI are working perfectly.  Battery life is better lasting all day again Without a charge.  Bluetooth connectivity works great when connecting to our Honda Pilot.  Also the music player plays music perfectly with no skips or beeps.  And the music player plays music a lot louder thru the built in speaker of the phone to where I actually have to turn it down a couple notches.  Calls are clear both outgoing and incoming.  Email works great both personal email and company work email.  Screen lock and unlock works great to via PIN with no delays hesitation / freeze.  Camera is a lot faster focusing and quality looks great.  Have not tried Skype yet.  The ONLY problem now is when sending a MMS with a picture and have delivery receipt checked the icon count badge keeps showing "1" message until I delete the MMS pic I sent the person. Also the"circle" widget info on home screen won't reset when I get a text message even after reviewing the message.  Only way to clear the circle notification is to actually click on the circle then the text message opens and then it clears.  Tried this with both versions of text messaging (messenger and hangout) both won't clear.  But if that is all I have to worry about I am golden.  ps: all the complaining about "Swype" is crazy, you just have to down load it manually thru the play store (it just didn't auto restore during the upgrade).  In closing the Wife and I are VERY VERY HAPPY with the new 4.4.2 update. THANK YOU VERIZON AND THANK YOU MOTOROLA.  ps: the version that the wife and I ave is 182.46.10.XT926.Verizon.en.US.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I'm sorry to learn that your Bluetooth feature is not working as it was before the software upgrade nancyh11! Software upgrades are developed by manufacturers to improve performance. However, from time to time software upgrades encounter conflicts with system files in the process. These system conflicts are commonly resolved with a hard reset. Please do a hard reset http://vz.to/z30zKf and test.

AntonioC_VZW
Follow us on Twitter at www.twitter.com/VZWSupport

0 Likes
nurbles

It turns out that I'm an idiot.  Everything has been working for so long that I forgot all about pairing my headset with the phone.  Once I figured out how to do it on the headset, it started working again.

But, for some reason, the Bluetooth link "dies" (or goes away or whatever) after several minutes of idle time:  both devices powered on, but neither in use.  A short time after that, my headset automatically powers off, thinking that the phone has left the area.  This did not happen before the upgrade and I'm thinking it might be related to the attempts (mostly successful, for me at least) to improve power consumption.  But I'm mentioning it in case it could be something else.

0 Likes
mperk720

I downloaded the 4.4.2 update to a Motorola Razr Maxx HD. Now the Bluetooth won't work in my car and the phone won't pair with my Nissan Altima. Verizon should let me buy a new iPhone that will work with my car since the Razr Maxx HD no longer does. How about it, Verizon?

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

mperk720 we'll find the best option! Starting with your Razr Maxx HD, what exactly is happening with the bluetooth? Is the phone showing your car as an available device that you can connect to? Have you tried connecting any other bluetooth compatible device? Next if you're interested in an iPhone, check your upgrade by calling #UPG.

AshleyS_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
user15
Enthusiast - Level 2

I too am having several issues since the recent KitKat update including not being able to get any of my Bluetooth devices to work.

I tried unpairing and repairing to the different devices. I tried turning on and off Bluetooth. I tried turning off wifi (others have said they had problems with Bluetooth and WiFi being on at the same time). None of these things fixed the problem.

I called Verizon technical support and they had me do a soft reset (on the Razr Maxx HD this is done by holding the power button and the volume down button for roughly 10 seconds until it looks like it turned off). The soft reset is supposed to be the same as taking your battery out (if you could do so) and does not erase your data/settings etc.

I then un-paired and re-paired the devices and I was able to connect to them and transmit/receive data as normal (Bluetooth OBD II adapter for my car and Bluetooth stereo adapter for my home stereo).

BTW - all the other problems Verizon told me were design changes by Google and they couldn't do anything about them.

0 Likes
Dabogues
Enthusiast - Level 3

It isn't just you. My Razr HD has had poor Bluetooth performance since the upgrade, as well. Except it's even more frustrating to me, since I was in on the soak test prior to release. I repeatedly reported this issue to Motorola during the soak test (which lasted a couple of weeks prior to release), and received no response at all. Infuriatingly, they seemed to reply to any other issues raised except this one. I was completely ignored.

Anyway, I noticed a slight improvement after going back to factory and repairing, but the performance is still WAY worse than it was before. Audio cuts out on a regular basis, most notably any time you do anything on the phone, be that browsing, opening another app, or just waking the screen up. For example, every time I'm listening to Play Music using my BT headset and wake up the screen, I will get quick blips of audio drop-outs for about 10-15 seconds. It then regulates, but I get those dropouts from time to time anyway. This doesn't happen with wired headphones, and it didn't happened with these ones prior to the update. It does it with a wireless speaker, as well, so they can't blame the BT devices.

I'm very annoyed that Moto completely ignored these reports prior to full rollout. BT is a big part of my usage, and it has made a phone that I was previously pretty happy with more annoying than ever. Ironically, performance in every other aspect of the phone has been improved. Go figure.