3rd Android coming to vz - not good news
j0j081

For those of you holding off on the Eris or Moto Droid on the hopes that a new mystery HTC phone (passion?) is coming out soon this will supposedly be the next Android phone on Verizon's network.

http://www.androidguys.com/2009/11/05/a-third-verizon-droid-clears-the-fcc/

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: 3rd Android coming to vz - not good news
SSHGuru
Contributor - Level 1

Android phones are going to come out like computers do now - but it and a few months later there is a new one.  You can't look back - be happy with what you got.

And this one looks ugly, has buttons which I don't want and looks plastic.  I love my droid.

0 Likes
fezzik
Contributor - Level 3

There are better pictures.  The big question at this point is where and who is going to release it but the specs are pretty outstanding.  It will be a Verizon phone but it may only sell at peripheral retailers.  It has a built in MiFi.  That is pretty awesome as is the video chat. 

0 Likes
rcr484

Yeah, that Saygus thing has been brewing for a month. Hearsay has it being a "open development" project between Verizon engineers and some unknown maker. Basically it looks like Verizon built their own Android device, likely with a HEAVY Verizon-centric environment. Supposedly has some good hardware, but who knows. The big deal, just rumor, is that this phone will have mi-fi capability. That explains the thickness (imagine two and half Droids stacked up) maybe from a mondo battery. Gotta be a heavy thing and I'm talking from a Droid owner's perspective.

But the mi-fi thing...cool in theory but gotta be taxing in practice. First, imagine how hot that mutha's gonna get from being a WAP. Secondly, just how is Verizon going to charge you? The same price as tethering?

As stated above, if you're going drop coin on early adoption of tech then you gotta be prepared to drop buyer's remorse. You will ALWAYS have another device come out to top yours.

0 Likes
fezzik
Contributor - Level 3

It isn't going to cost as much as the DROID.  Saygus.com is the official website and you can check out what is on the phone.  It is pretty cool but a few things make me nervous about it.  I have contacted them offering to be a tester.  LOL.  I like their keyboard a lot and a few other features but my understanding is that even with a faster processor the architecture is closer to Arm 11 so it won't be as efficient in other words faster in pure speed but not faster in amount of information processed through.  this phone has been evolving for a long time and they have been trying really hard to get someone to pick it up.  the Open Development thing gave them an in.  It has already passed the FCC about a month ago so it is plausible for a mid December launch if they can get everything worked out like who will sell it and support it and all that.  the thing that scared me is that unless Verizon puts its stamp on it, it will be supported by Saygus and not Verizon meaning if something goes wrong you are dependant on Saygus being around for the life of the phone, and it may not be sold in Verizon stores and won't be promoted by them so the liklihood of a subsidy is much lower (400 to 450 dollar phone) so it might be tough for the company to be around to support the phones it does sell.  Just makes me a little nervous to think of buying a phone from a company no one has heard of until now and all support and upgrades and everything have to come from the company and not Big Red.  However, it should have some cool features and a nice User Interface and a decent phone.  (they were kind of like Motorola making communications devices such as 2 way radios and voice chat machines and things like that until now Motorola made 2 way radios and other communications type devices before they were what they are now their head sets are usually pretty renowned).  The first voice chat cell phone is pretty cool. 

0 Likes