Re: 2.1 review completed
Dangerous_Dave
Contributor - Level 2
Ironically, 2.1 does have live wallpaper...kind of. In the form of the new "cinematic" weather widget which is REALLY cool (especially during a thunderstorm). Granted, the weather widget doesn't keep going on indefinitely, but how much time do you spend staring at your homescreen and doing nothing else?
0 Likes
anchor328

I could care less about the live wallpapers as I'd use that a few times to see then turn it off for battery purposes. In other words it would be treated similarly as Steamy Window is now. 

I was really looking forward to speech to text support like the Motorola has. This means swype will definately stay as my keypad. That is amazing. I can type nearly as fast as I can on a normal keyboard with swype for our Eris. I had not have the chance to see if it is available in the 2.1 market as my dad's phone was the one that received the update. 

So far as Gallery is concerned I say "what gallery?!" The Eris has no program called Gallery nor area called "Gallery."  So how is pinch to zoom suppose to work in "Gallery?"

About SWYPE for our Eris below:

If you all are interested in swype for your Eris ask me and I will hunt it down again and post the link. I believe you can get swype in it's normal blue color, a green and a black color. For those who do not know what swype is it simply is a keyboard whereby you slide 1 finger over/near the letters you would type. Picking up your finger finishes the word and allows you to slide your finger around for the next word. It automatically puts in a space. I can type around 30-40 words per minute with just one finger and I am not good at it yet.. I used it in my first posting in this review.

0 Likes
cgold56

I would love to have the link to Swype for my Eris, if it's not too much trouble.  THANKS<

0 Likes
anchor328

This is for Android 1.5. I do not know if it will work on 2.1. But I don't see why not. Once installed you touch and hold your finger on a text box to get the input options menu up and running then simply chose SWYPE. After that Swype pops up all the time.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=625509

0 Likes
Atmos42

Text to Speech is there. You have to go into Settings, choose text-to-speech in the settings menu, then choose Install Voice Data. It will install and you now have text-to-speech. Found this the first time I went into settings.

0 Likes
Jwyatt

We aren't complaining about text-to-speech.... Most people want the promised New support for voice-to-text entry. Every other android 2.1 device has it. It was on the os enhancement page verizon put out....SO I don't know why we didn't get it.

0 Likes