2.1 review completed

anchor328
Member
3rd try with my droid Eris. One of my phones received the 2.1. No speech to text as stated in the release notes. No pinch to zoom in Googlemaps nor Gallery.For that matter there is no Gallery for a pinch to zoom feature. There is no live wallpapers as shown on leaked versions. The only extra features I have noticed are the full page weather widget and leap. Basically the only way we can tell this is 2.1 is by looking at the release notes. All the really cool features have been disabled.
Labels (1)
0 Likes

Re: 2.1 review completed

kenyu73
Novice

I've had leaked v2 and v3 on my Eris and Live Wallpapers was disabled and the (mic) on the keyboard too. It's been discussed for quite some time that the Eris cannot support the CPU demand for some 2.1 features.

 

Verizon shouldn't have that listed in the release notes. I'm sure it's a mistake.

0 Likes
Highlighted

Re: 2.1 review completed

gpa111
Member

The only features I want from that list are pinch zoom and the mic... which in no way does the hardware limit those features...

0 Likes

Re: 2.1 review completed

anchor328
Member

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=42oDzviQKU4  this is an eris running live wallpapers and 3D Gallery. Don't tell me the hardware can't handle it.

 

I ran speech to text on a 166mhz 486 under windows 98 with 32 megs of ram - Viavoice. Don't tell me a 500+ mhz processor that is many times faster then that old clunky 486 running on a superior operating system with 288 megs or ram can't do the same.

0 Likes

Re: 2.1 review completed

kenyu73
Novice

OK, let me choose better words....

 

Some overpaid Executive and super smart engineer decided that the cost/benefit for running Live Wallpaper, TextToSpeach, and other features were to costly for performance reasons.

 

The general operation of the Eris could be effected so they ripped out these features because the Eris is a phone first, then a toy/tool after.

 

The backlash from typical users would be astounding if while running Live Wallpaper caused lag while texting and/or calling.. not to mention Live Wallpaper and VoiceToText conversion.

 

I'm sure HTC and Verizon have a neat little white-paper on this decision....

 

Yes they can run

Yes they can cause user experience issues (lag)

 

What realistic executive choice would you make?

 

0 Likes

Re: 2.1 review completed

gpa111
Member

Live wallpapers lags the Incredible... personally I think it is a **bleep** idea on any phone and a memory hog.

 

Give me the other features though, since they do that update the usability of my phone.

 

Does the incredible have a mic icon on the keyboard?

 

Maybe it is a sense related thing?

0 Likes

Re: 2.1 review completed

kenyu73
Novice

 


gpa111 wrote:

Live wallpapers lags the Incredible... personally I think it is a **bleep** idea on any phone and a memory hog.

 

Give me the other features though, since they do that update the usability of my phone.

 

Does the incredible have a mic icon on the keyboard?

 

Maybe it is a sense related thing?


The Incredible has all the 2.1 features, including the keyboard "mic".

 

0 Likes

Re: 2.1 review completed

supitsmike
Sr. Member

anchor328 wrote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=42oDzviQKU4  this is an eris running live wallpapers and 3D Gallery. Don't tell me the hardware can't handle it.

 

I ran speech to text on a 166mhz 486 under windows 98 with 32 megs of ram - Viavoice. Don't tell me a 500+ mhz processor that is many times faster then that old clunky 486 running on a superior operating system with 288 megs or ram can't do the same.


Yeah that would make sense to compare if Windows and Android really had the same OS structure. Too bad it doesn't. If the Eris CAN perform these, then it'll tax something else: Battery, overall performace, etc. It's give and take when you're dealing with a less than 1GHZ processor.

 

 

0 Likes

Re: 2.1 review completed

anchor328
Member

supitsmike wrote:

Yeah that would make sense to compare if Windows and Android really had the same OS structure. Too bad it doesn't. If the Eris CAN perform these, then it'll tax something else: Battery, overall performace, etc. It's give and take when you're dealing with a less than 1GHZ processor.

 

 


If it had a 486 running at 166 mhz then you still would not have a point. Remember the 486 multi-tasked well enough to have no lag and it pulled from a slow hardrive. Our phones pull only from ram. I would say the processor in these phones is faster then 20 of the 486s running at 166mhz.

0 Likes

Re: 2.1 review completed

 


anchor328 wrote:
3rd try with my droid Eris. One of my phones received the 2.1. No speech to text as stated in the release notes. No pinch to zoom in Googlemaps nor Gallery.For that matter there is no Gallery for a pinch to zoom feature. There is no live wallpapers as shown on leaked versions. The only extra features I have noticed are the full page weather widget and leap. Basically the only way we can tell this is 2.1 is by looking at the release notes. All the really cool features have been disabled.

The feature set is listed on the support page.  Live Wallpapers is not listed.  Any leaked versions were a test; custom ROM's may have added them.  Apparently, Verizon didn't think they worked well enough.  You can still get a custom ROM.  I got the Live Wallpapers on my Droid but don't use them as they would be a battery killer.  There's better selection of other regular wallpapers, anyway.  I like Beautiful Backgrounds.  Some of the Home replacements like GDS have fantastic themes.  Regarding pinch to zoom, when I updated, it broke the Gallery link on my Home screen so I trashed it and pasted a new one from the launcher.  That worked.You should have something comparable on your Eris.  Pinch to zoom works on Maps but I read  you have to update your Maps app first.  You should also have Navigator.  I hope other people can coment on speech to text.  I have a mic icon on my keyboard now.  and it works but the interpreter is not very good so you may not use it anyway.  Anyway, you should have everything on the list and everything on the list should work.  If you can't figure it out, call 'em or make more posts.

 

0 Likes