$15 data plan possible?
voltrek

Is a $15 data plan possible with the droid smart phones? I spoke to a sales rep and he told me that with all the updates i would need the $30 data plan and that the $15 dollar data plan would not work with the Verizon fascinate which i wanted to get.Has any one been able to stay within the $15 data plan keeping your droid smart phone on all day?If so please let me know how.I would like to get a droid phone but i would only occasionally use the web so $30 extra would be a waste of money for me.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: $15 data plan possible?
steveanderson13
Contributor - Level 2

voltrek wrote:

Is a $15 data plan possible with the droid smart phones? Yes, but you must know or learn your usage.

I spoke to a sales rep and he told me that with all the updates i would need the $30 data plan and that the $15 dollar data plan would not work with the Verizon fascinate which i wanted to get  You need what works for you.  That would have nothing to do with updates or the Fascinate.

Has any one been able to stay within the $15 data plan keeping your droid smart phone on all day?If so please let me know how.I would like to get a droid phone but i would only occasionally use the web so $30 extra would be a waste of money for me.  It depends on what you mean by occasionally.  To give you some guidelines, I own a Palm Pixi with the $15 plan.  I use the phone for the hotspot.  My data is turned on for syncing and backup only.  I never myself use data on the phone.  My allowance is 150 mb; Syncing and backup used 21 mb last month.

Secondly, you can turn on/off data at will so that no "automatic" usage occurs without your knowledge.  You can not sign up for Facebook, Titter, etc that would increase your usage.   You can turn off or not enable most everything. You can use wi-fi.  

You can select either plan, then monitor your usage on My Verizon for a while, then estimate your monthly total, then change your plan on My Verizon accordingly.  If you change from one to other it covers that month.  You are stuck with neither.  But you must choose one.  If you know that you are a light user, sign up for the lesser one.  If you are worried, sign up for the bigger one.  You're covered either way.  

If you would like to read more about users' actual usage, here is a thread from Howard Forums (a gadget-loving group)

http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php/1695810-Can-we-compile-some-average-data-usage-to-help-pe...

View solution in original post

0 Likes
mdram4x4
Champion - Level 1

voltrek wrote:

Is a $15 data plan possible with the droid smart phones? I spoke to a sales rep and he told me that with all the updates i would need the $30 data plan and that the $15 dollar data plan would not work with the Verizon fascinate which i wanted to get.Has any one been able to stay within the $15 data plan keeping your droid smart phone on all day?If so please let me know how.I would like to get a droid phone but i would only occasionally use the web so $30 extra would be a waste of money for me.

its possible, but youhave to monitor your data alot.  turn off 3g, use wifi, ect ect

its a real headache.  many people do it in other countries where unlimited isnt offered.

look around the web, ther eis tons of data out there

0 Likes
AZSALUKI
Legend

you can do it, but i wouldn't recommend it. you can go through data VERY quickly on these things. now, if you don't browse, email, etc very much on the phone, then it may be fine. you could always get it, try for a month, and monitor closely. if you see that you are going to exceed the allowable amount for $15, then just go in and change it to the unlimited data plan before you go over your allowed data.

0 Likes
steveanderson13
Contributor - Level 2

voltrek wrote:

Is a $15 data plan possible with the droid smart phones? Yes, but you must know or learn your usage.

I spoke to a sales rep and he told me that with all the updates i would need the $30 data plan and that the $15 dollar data plan would not work with the Verizon fascinate which i wanted to get  You need what works for you.  That would have nothing to do with updates or the Fascinate.

Has any one been able to stay within the $15 data plan keeping your droid smart phone on all day?If so please let me know how.I would like to get a droid phone but i would only occasionally use the web so $30 extra would be a waste of money for me.  It depends on what you mean by occasionally.  To give you some guidelines, I own a Palm Pixi with the $15 plan.  I use the phone for the hotspot.  My data is turned on for syncing and backup only.  I never myself use data on the phone.  My allowance is 150 mb; Syncing and backup used 21 mb last month.

Secondly, you can turn on/off data at will so that no "automatic" usage occurs without your knowledge.  You can not sign up for Facebook, Titter, etc that would increase your usage.   You can turn off or not enable most everything. You can use wi-fi.  

You can select either plan, then monitor your usage on My Verizon for a while, then estimate your monthly total, then change your plan on My Verizon accordingly.  If you change from one to other it covers that month.  You are stuck with neither.  But you must choose one.  If you know that you are a light user, sign up for the lesser one.  If you are worried, sign up for the bigger one.  You're covered either way.  

If you would like to read more about users' actual usage, here is a thread from Howard Forums (a gadget-loving group)

http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php/1695810-Can-we-compile-some-average-data-usage-to-help-pe...

0 Likes
voltrek

Thanks

steveanderson13 wrote:

voltrek wrote:

thank you i will check that thread.

0 Likes
voltrek

One last quick question.will keeping my smart phone on WI if in areas that do not have a WI if signal interfere with incoming calls or text?thank you all for your support.

0 Likes
PJNC284
Master - Level 2

no but you'll want to turn it off when you're going to be away from wifi access for an extended period so it's not constantly scanning for wifi signal and killing your battery.

0 Likes
voltrek

PJNC284 wrote:

no but you'll want to turn it off when you're going to be away from wifi access for an extended period so it's not constantly scanning for wifi signal and killing your battery.

Thanks

0 Likes
steveanderson13
Contributor - Level 2

Using the Opera browser will also help because the data is compressed on Opera servers similar to Blackberry procedure. 

0 Likes