Highlighted

specific functions wanted/needed

univofky

I would like to have VPN, Pandora, connection to MS Exchange Server, ability to view PDFs and Word docs, maybe view Hulu, wi-fi, excellent speakers and phone quality.

Is there an upcoming phone that will meet these needs?  I'm sure many have iPhone envy, but if I can meet the above - then forget the iPhone.

Multi-tasking would be a nice bonus.

Thank you for your suggestions!

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct Answers

Re: specific functions wanted/needed

fezzik
Novice

Both Droid phones will have Wifi and a third phone coming the first of next year will actually become a sort of mifi/phone/droid device.  Both Droid phones have MS Exchange server capabilities.  PDF and Word Docs can be viewed with Apps from the market place I believe they are free I don't know about manipulating word docs though I kind of expect an open office lite but I haven't seen or heard anything yet.  Hulu is streaming video and both can play those.  The DROID has true WSVGA screen so it will look better on it than any other phone.  I don't know about a Hulu app but don't doubt that such an animal exists but since both have full web browsers yeah Hulu won't be a problem.  Don't know about Pandora I don't remember what that even is.  For VPN access you will need to get the $45 Enterprise Data plan.  There might be an app to do it on a normal data plan but usually on Verizon VPN acess requires the Business data plan.  Both of the Droid phones will multitask like a champ.  Though you will probably want App Killer cause my understanding is that at least with 1.5 apps just went to the background when you shut them down and didn't clear from memory so the Eris at least might get glitchy if you open and close a bunch of apps with out killing some.  Kind of like a task manager for PCs.  Both of these phones or at least a phone very similar to Eris and the actual Droid have been compaired favorably against the Iphone 3Gs the Eris has some upsides and some slight downsides but all in all is said to stand up with it where the Droid has a slightly slower processor but adds multitasking so take that for what you will.  Both of them have superior hardware to the iPhone 3G and while I wouldn't say they are superior to the iPhone 3Gs they at least stand up next to it as valid competitors. 

0 Likes

Re: specific functions wanted/needed

fezzik
Novice

Both Droid phones will have Wifi and a third phone coming the first of next year will actually become a sort of mifi/phone/droid device.  Both Droid phones have MS Exchange server capabilities.  PDF and Word Docs can be viewed with Apps from the market place I believe they are free I don't know about manipulating word docs though I kind of expect an open office lite but I haven't seen or heard anything yet.  Hulu is streaming video and both can play those.  The DROID has true WSVGA screen so it will look better on it than any other phone.  I don't know about a Hulu app but don't doubt that such an animal exists but since both have full web browsers yeah Hulu won't be a problem.  Don't know about Pandora I don't remember what that even is.  For VPN access you will need to get the $45 Enterprise Data plan.  There might be an app to do it on a normal data plan but usually on Verizon VPN acess requires the Business data plan.  Both of the Droid phones will multitask like a champ.  Though you will probably want App Killer cause my understanding is that at least with 1.5 apps just went to the background when you shut them down and didn't clear from memory so the Eris at least might get glitchy if you open and close a bunch of apps with out killing some.  Kind of like a task manager for PCs.  Both of these phones or at least a phone very similar to Eris and the actual Droid have been compaired favorably against the Iphone 3Gs the Eris has some upsides and some slight downsides but all in all is said to stand up with it where the Droid has a slightly slower processor but adds multitasking so take that for what you will.  Both of them have superior hardware to the iPhone 3G and while I wouldn't say they are superior to the iPhone 3Gs they at least stand up next to it as valid competitors. 

0 Likes