Highlighted

Your Android Phone and You 101

supitsmike

Hey there folks, my name is Supitsmike, and I'll be your Android expert nerd for tonight. As  you open your new Droid/Eris, you may have many questions, and may need assistance. I'm here to help you. Lets get started. Here are a few questions you may ask yourself when with your new phones (or kids, as I like to say):

What is Android?

Android is a Linux based operating system, created by Google. What makes Android so special is that it is an Open Source OS, meaning that it allows people to give them full freedom and control to do whatever you'd like with that phone.

I bought the HTC Eris. Why does it look so different from the regular Droid?

That is because HTC, created a special and specific UI (User Interface) for certain phones. If you are on the HTC Eris/Hero, then you will be experiencing what they call the "HTC Sense" UI, a theme based around you, and your life. The great thing about Android is that it allows developers, and manufactuers to create a UI based on what they feel is important (Ergo, HTC Sense and the MotoBLUR on T-Mobile)

I have a Droid, and I want it to look like the Eris, can I do that?

Why, yes, yes you can. There is something that us kids like to do, called "Rooting" (or in a more common way, hacking) your phone, to give you even more control over your Operating System and Device.

My Droid/Eris has strangly low internal memory. What gives?

This is certainly common in all Android phones, and will probably remain to be. You use that internal memory stricly for Apps.

Doesn't that mean that I'll run out of Memory REALLY fast?

Hardly. The great thing about the Apps on the Android is that they are tremendously small, and only take from about .8KB to a few MB of Memory, if that.

My Droid/Eris is running slowly, why?!

This may be for many reasons, mostly it's because you have processes running in the background.

What? What do you mean? Processes? Background?

Very much similar to how Windows Operating Systems operate, sometimes you get programs that you did open (or they opened when you restarted your phone), that still run even when you exit out the program. Sometimes, it takes up internal memory temporarily and can bog down the performance of your phone.

Okay, so, how do I fix it?

To be quite blunt, I suggest downloading Advanced Task Manager, an app that allows you to see all processes running, and to end either all or ones that you select. For example, I like to have Twidroid always running, but I don't want the game, Buka that I just played to stay running in the background. I just check the box next to said program running, and hit "end" and voila! Magic! You ended that program, and it will only start once you open that application again. (For more computer-savvy people, picture it like doing an msconfig run and ending all process on your Windows computer).

Or, you can always just restart your phone.

How do I add Widgets to my homescreen(s)?

Very easy. All you do is longpress (hold your finger down on an empty part of the screen) to bring up a new menu, click the "Widgets" option and select your widget.

How do I GET Widgets?

You can get them through the market, however, there are some that are pre-installed with your phone such as the Analog Clock, the Music Widget, and Calendar.

How do I delete icons/widgets/pictures on my homescreen?

Simply longpress said icon/widget/picture, wait till it "pops" up (You'll feel it via the response by vibration from the phone), and simply drag it to the trash can icon (That was the application tray drawer), to delete!

I have the power gadget on my desktop. Can You explain what each icon is for?

[[Wifi] [Bluetooth] [GPS] [Sync] [Brightness]] (In that order) Wifi enables you to connect to hotspots/wireless routers, etc to access internet. Bluetooth allows you to connect with not only different cellphones that have bluetooth, but even hardware such as headsets. GPS allows you to have a precise look as to  where you are and located at. Apps such as Sherpa, Google Maps, and Layar uses these frequently. Sync sync's up your phone with anything Google Related, for example, GMail. Brightness, is pretty self explanitory. Lowest level is dim, medium level is standard brightness, highest can light up a movie theatre.

If I turn off all the things in the power gadget, will apps that need them (like Google Maps or GPS) turn them on automatically and then turn them off again when you close the app?

They will turn on, but not back off after use.

How do I add music to my Droid/Eris?

Plug in your phone via USB, pull down the notification pane and press "mount usb." You should get a window with the SD card content It's suggested that you put it in your media/audio file. Either way it will be recognized accordingly.

How do I properly clean the smudges on my screen?

You've heard this a thousand times, but it really works: Take a cloth, damp it with warm water, wipe screen, success!

Can I wifi-tether with my Droid/Eris on the VZW Network?

Not yet. You can, it will be available in 2010. 

I want more home screens. How do I do it?

Unless you're on the Droid, Eris users don't need to worry themselves about this (More than 7? Really?). Anyway, you need to download a home replacement application. Panda Home, AHome, Open Home are the most popular in that category, and allow  you to add more screens.

I saw my friend, he has this sick Street Fighter theme on his phone. How did he do it? 

Again you will need a home replacement app, and a theme that corresponds with that specific app. For example, people make specific themes for the different home replacement applications, and generally they can't cross over (meaning that I can't use an AHome Theme on an Open Home home screen or vice versa). There are some exceptions of course, such as Panda Home, which allows universally any theme to be applied to it.

When adding an event to the calendar, there is no option for bi-weekly?

Ah my friend, I had this trouble just a few days ago. There is no function (for whatever reason and as stupid as it is) to enter in Bi-Weekly items into your calendar. I'm sorry for whatever inconvenience this did cause, but what I did was enter them in manually in my GCalendar :/

Is there a way to access my contacts from the "to:" box so i can send a text to more than one person, or do I just have to type each name? And Is there a way to resend a message?

1. All you have to do is type out the first or first few letters of the contact (Unless their name is like Pam or Tom, then you could bite the bullet :smileywink:), and then a drop down box should appear with every contact with the same letter. I believe it does it prominently when using the touchscreen keyboard.

2. There is, and I was using it just the other day to spam my friend some text messages to get his attention. You can either longpress(Holding whatever text message for about a second), and a box will appear giving you options such as Copy, Delete, etc. Select "Copy", go to your text field, long press it again, and then select "Paste!" And there ya go, you're all set. Or, I believe that just tapping the message that you want to resend will go and automatically put it in the text field for you.

How do you take Screenshots?

Currently there is no native support, but there is an app that can: Open Home.

How do you clear the history from the market?

Go to Settings>Applications>Manage Applications>Hit Menu Again>Filter All>Select Market.

Is there a way on the Droid to set it where  you can have audible notifications ***DroiD*** go off whenever you receive a TEXT message, but NOT go off when you get an e-mail?

Yes. What you'll want to do is go specifically in your e-mail (if you're using Gmail, regular e-mail should be the same as well), and press Menu>Settings>And under the Notification Settings Bar "select Ringtone". There you can change the ringtone so that it doesn't share the same one as your texts.

How do you save a pic that you took from the camera to the SD Card?

Any picture, any song, and photo, anything you save on your phone gets directly sent to your SD card. Nothing, I repeat, nothing gets saved to the internal memory of your phone aside from Applications. 

I am unable to get my phone to "mount" to my computer. The SD card shows up on the screen under computer but when I click on it to see the content I get a pop up message that says to insert a disk into the drive.

Whenever you connect a USB to your phone and computer, you will see on the notification pane, a USB symbol. Simply press that symbol, and then press "mount." You will then see your computer will notice it as a regular flash drive.

It's pretty handy seeing as how I can just click and drag to whatever I want into my SD Card.

Inow have a Amazon MP3 app on my Droid that I did not add but I can't find a way to delete it, any suggestions?

You cannot delete native Apps such as Amazon, Messaging, and Youtube.

***I will be adding more regularly*** 

**If you like this thread, why don't you give me Kudos?**

Labels (1)

Re: Your Android Phone and You 101

supitsmike

Shameless bump, for all you guys :smileyvery-happy:

For some reason it wont let me edit it any longer. If I could have a mod fix that up for me so I can frequently edit it, I would love it!

0 Likes

somegirl
Novice

You can only edit a post yourself within an hour after you post it. After that, you lose the ability to edit that post. You can make new posts to continue, or request that a mod edit your post.

Considering how often you might be adding to this, I think new posts are probably the way to go. (I'm quite sure the mods have enough on their plates already.)

Great idea though.

supitsmike

somegirl wrote:

You can only edit a post yourself within an hour after you post it. After that, you lose the ability to edit that post. You can make new posts to continue, or request that a mod edit your post.

Considering how often you might be adding to this, I think new posts are probably the way to go. (I'm quite sure the mods have enough on their plates already.)

Great idea though.

Kind words, thank you.

I prefer it to be all in one post because I don't want the hassle of readers having to flip through too many messages.

Perhaps a mod will be able to let us know, until then I'll have to post new messages for different questions.

0 Likes

somegirl
Novice

As an aside, your signature made my day. :smileyvery-happy:

*Edit* Aw... You changed it... Now I am sad. :smileysad:

*Edit 2* And added it back again. Did you do that just for me? *feels special* In case you change it in the future, I'll let everyone know what I'm talking about: If you use 'pls' because it's shorter than 'please', then I'm going to say 'no' because it's shorter than 'yes.'

0 Likes

supitsmike

somegirl wrote:

As an aside, your signature made my day. :smileyvery-happy:

Why thank you, I take deep pride in quiet sarcasm :smileyhappy:

Edit: Yes, I did change it and when I found out there was someone who like it just as much as I did I put it back on :smileywink:

I'm also brainstorming more questions people might have. Be sure to Kudo all the ones that have legit questions on them folks, as it not only adds meaning to the sad thing I call a life, but it makes me feel great :smileyvery-happy:

0 Likes

gwhitbeck

well hello there supitsmike.  couple of questions for you...

1. I have the power gadget on my desktop. Can you explain what each icon is for?

2. If I turn off all the things in the power gadget, will apps that need them (like google maps or GPS) turn them on automatically and then turn them off again when you close the app?

Thanks!

0 Likes

supitsmike

I have the power gadget on my desktop. Can You explain what each icon is for?

[[Wifi] [Bluetooth] [GPS] [Sync] [Brightness]] (In that order) Wifi enables you to connect to hotspots/wireless routers, etc to access internet. Bluetooth allows you to connect with not only different cellphones that have bluetooth, but even hardware such as headsets. GPS allows you to have a precise look as to  where you are and located at. Apps such as Sherpa, Google Maps, and Layar uses these frequently. Sync sync's up your phone with anything Google Related, for example, GMail. Brightness, is pretty self explanitory. Lowest level is dim, medium level is standard brightness, highest can light up a movie theatre.

If I turn off all the things in the power gadget, will apps that need them (like Google Maps or GPS) turn them on automatically and then turn them off again when you close the app?

They will turn on, but not back off after use.

0 Likes

supitsmike

Up Top!

0 Likes

gwhitbeck

dude you rock.  maybe a moderator can make this a sticky on the top of the forum!

0 Likes