Highlighted

Will HTC Eris get Android 2.0?

Urabus

I have readt through the 10 pages of the Android and HTC eris posts, but I'm curiuos if anyone can provide me with any information on HTC Eris.  I've seen the pictures and spce, but what I would like to know if there is any rumors/facts that it will be upgradable to Android 2.0 instead of the 1.5 it sounds like it will be shipped with?  And is the Eris a good enough phone that it will benefit from an update from 1.5 to 2.0?  Thanks for any insight into this.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct Answers

Re: Will HTC Eris get Android 2.0?

n0yxl

The Droid Eris will indeed ship with 1.5 under Sense UI, and will recieve an OTA update once the sense UI has been tweeked and ready for the new 2.0 O.S.  It should end up running pretty smooth, though not as "snappy" as the Moto Droid.

0 Likes

techspert
Novice

HTC has come out and said it will update the HTC Hero for both Europe and Sprint here in the US from 1.5 to 2.0.  It comes down to making sure the Sense UI is properly ported to work over top 2.0.  That being said, expect the Eris to get the same upgrade.  I would hope it would not impact performance, the upgrade, but at the very least, you'll get the enhancements of 2.0 which is gold.  I would expect turn-by-turn directions with google maps on the Eris when the update comes through.  Also, I know 2.0 has the pull down notifications.  That's another nice feature, though I'm not sure how it will be integrated into Sense. 

0 Likes

fezzik
Novice

I wouldn't doubt but that it will ship with 2.0.  It might be delayed or it may be that the problem with getting it out is actually that the Droid and Droid Eris are supposed to be first with 2.0 so they can't release 2.0 updates for anything till these have released.  There has been no legit rumors about the HTC except for what it will cost and when it is supposed to come out but nothing about actual specs everythingis theories based on what makes sense (the Hero being a great phone on a cdma network etc). Really we have no idea if they were involved in all the special development and all that.  The latest rumors are that it will release with 2.0 and it will be 99 bucks with a 2 year contract and it will physically be about the same size as a Hero.  With approximately the same screen. 

0 Likes

n0yxl

The Droid Eris will indeed ship with 1.5 under Sense UI, and will recieve an OTA update once the sense UI has been tweeked and ready for the new 2.0 O.S.  It should end up running pretty smooth, though not as "snappy" as the Moto Droid.

0 Likes

truelove79

@ n0yxl

How could you possibly know this?  Are you a VZW or HTC employee?  As far as I know HTC has said they're getting the sense UI on the Hero ready for Android 2.0.  They've never mentioned anything about the Eris (I know the Eris is basically the Hero with a different look), let alone VZW.

As far as VZW and HTC is concerned the Eris doesn't even exist.

0 Likes

kenyu73
Novice

Nobody will really know if HTC will patch the Eris to 2.0, but honestly, unless your dieing for "Google Nav" what's the big deal? I feel HTC will release 2.0 soon though as they are looking for good PR with their branding.

If I had to place stakes, I'd place my bet on 2.0 for both Hero and Eris models.

0 Likes

fezzik
Novice

Hmm Well it was announced and on the HTC website it is listed as having Cupcake.  Since Hero is getting it I imagine Eris will get it as soon as the port Sense to 2.0.  Color me surprised. 

0 Likes

par72

Hope you are all correct.  Like the Eris more than the Moto Droid and plan to go ahead with the Eris.  As long as some of you seem to be knowledgeable about the update I will ask the question of how it will be handled.  Over the internet with a download I assume?

0 Likes

supitsmike

If you guys followed @HTC on Twitter, you would know that they are in fact releasing it soon. Yes, the HTC Eris will recieve the 2.0 Eclair update.

0 Likes

remp

So when will this update happen?

0 Likes