Highlighted

Micro SD card

Groid

I connected my new droid to the computer and mounted the sd card.  I noticed under properties, the format was 'RAW'.  I thought that was strange, but tried to copy a small file to it and it copied fine and I deleted it.  Later I took a picture and it said something about preparing the sd card.  Now, when I connect to the computer, the format is now FAT32.  Should the card always use fat32?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct Answers

Re: Micro SD card

fezzik
Novice

Yes.  Fat32 is pretty much the lowest common denominator between Windows and Linux.  Windows has gone to various forms of NTFS and Linux uses EXT3 currently with an option for EXT4 but 4 is still considered somewhat unstable.  The phone probably uses EXT3 but might also use Fat32.  Fat32 isn't great but it is the best way for your Linux based phone to share information with your NTFS based windows computer. 

0 Likes

Re: Micro SD card

fezzik
Novice

Yes.  Fat32 is pretty much the lowest common denominator between Windows and Linux.  Windows has gone to various forms of NTFS and Linux uses EXT3 currently with an option for EXT4 but 4 is still considered somewhat unstable.  The phone probably uses EXT3 but might also use Fat32.  Fat32 isn't great but it is the best way for your Linux based phone to share information with your NTFS based windows computer. 

0 Likes