Highlighted

Buying from a 3rd party - or any way to speed up NE2?

axolotl

My husband's New Every Two is up Jan 20th. We went to the local Verizon Wireless store tonight to look at the Droid, and see if there was any way he could get it early. They told him his only option was to buy it now at the 2yr contract price and pay $20 extra for the privilege, or wait until January 20th and get the 2 yr price plus $100 off. We asked if there was any flexibility on the date and she said no. She even suggested maybe Santa will bring him one (oh, that helps - thanks!!!)

I realize it isn't long to wait, but my husband wants this phone badly and he doesn't ask for much. :smileyhappy:  He was combing through sites like Wirefly, which have it for $149 for contract upgrades or extensions. I just want to make sure it isn't going to screw up our plan, we currently have the Nationwide Select Family Plan 700, and a discount through his employer. If he gets a phone/plan extension through Wirefly is that going to mess up his discount - or mess up my plan? Is there any other way we can get the phone now without paying through the nose  - or are we stuck waiting it out til January?

Also, I'm the secondary line on the account, any idea what kind of discount, if any, I get when my 20 months is up?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct Answers

Re: Buying from a 3rd party - or any way to speed up NE2?

Alright, so here's how it would work:

For your NE2 credit ($100 it looks like in your case) you would have to wait until January 20th...with a slight possibility (though very rare anymore) for that to be moved up at MOST 1 month (and even then it tends to only be if your current device is buggy and you've had at least 1 replacement) but this is at the store manager's discretion; so if you've upset them in the past; expect it to not work very well.

You can use the early upgrade (the $20 extra cost) any time before then, but then that line would lose it's NE2 until 20 months after the early upgrade (and would be reduced down to $50 because the NE2 pricing tiers have changed).

You can order through sites like wirefly, but I will advise that if anything in the transaction goes buggy, it can become a large nightmare, because dealing with wirefly to get it adjusted can be a pain.  It's also something that CS reps can't really help with a whole lot at VZW because orders through 3rd parties don't show up in the system, they only show the activation of the phone.

Your line, being secondary and only $9.99 per month is not eligible for any additional discounts at 20 months, nor is it eligible for early upgrade.  The only "perk" is that at 20 months, you would be able to upgrade at the 2-year contract pricing for a phone (with a 2-year contract extension) as opposed to having to pay full retail price for the phone (you can also opt for the 1-year contract price with a 1-year contract extension, but you do have to pay a little more for the phone).

Hope this helps...

0 Likes

willanaya
Novice

this is what i have come up with from reading posts:

1.  you can purchase a new phone with your NE2 at the 20th month period instead of waiting the full 24 months. (if you have a 2 year contract; for a 1 year contract you can purchase on the 10th month instead of waiting the full 12 months)

2. if your husband gets a new contract, you will have to wait another 2 years for your NE2 because essentially you are starting over. (you also lose your current number because they will issue you another number.)

3. if you are the secondary line you are not eligible for any NE2 compensation.  you are subject to paying the full price of the phone.

0 Likes

Alright, so here's how it would work:

For your NE2 credit ($100 it looks like in your case) you would have to wait until January 20th...with a slight possibility (though very rare anymore) for that to be moved up at MOST 1 month (and even then it tends to only be if your current device is buggy and you've had at least 1 replacement) but this is at the store manager's discretion; so if you've upset them in the past; expect it to not work very well.

You can use the early upgrade (the $20 extra cost) any time before then, but then that line would lose it's NE2 until 20 months after the early upgrade (and would be reduced down to $50 because the NE2 pricing tiers have changed).

You can order through sites like wirefly, but I will advise that if anything in the transaction goes buggy, it can become a large nightmare, because dealing with wirefly to get it adjusted can be a pain.  It's also something that CS reps can't really help with a whole lot at VZW because orders through 3rd parties don't show up in the system, they only show the activation of the phone.

Your line, being secondary and only $9.99 per month is not eligible for any additional discounts at 20 months, nor is it eligible for early upgrade.  The only "perk" is that at 20 months, you would be able to upgrade at the 2-year contract pricing for a phone (with a 2-year contract extension) as opposed to having to pay full retail price for the phone (you can also opt for the 1-year contract price with a 1-year contract extension, but you do have to pay a little more for the phone).

Hope this helps...

0 Likes

fezzik
Novice

What's this $20 extra I have never had to pay that to upgrade early?  Ever.

0 Likes

If you are not a VIP customer, whenever you do an Early Upgrade (upgrade for primary line before your NE2 is available) there is a $20 surcharge to "cover" the cost difference for that additional year contract you would've had that phone for...but like I said, if you're listed as VIP in the system, it automatically waives that fee.
0 Likes

fezzik
Novice

Wow I have never heard that nor have I heard of that.  that is crazy.  I don't think I am a VIP and I have always been able to upgrade early for the 2 year contract price.  No $20 convenience fee.  That is stupid. 

0 Likes

axolotl

Thanks for the responses. I wonder why we aren't VIPs yet. We've been customers for 19 months, our phone plan is $90 a month for the primary line and we've never had a late payment. Maybe I'll call about that. If you have a discount through your employer does that make you ineligible? 

0 Likes