"Free" apps that are not free - recourse?
FDAck

Has anyone experienced any issues with downloading a "free" app and then receiving a text stating the app is 9.99/month?  What is the recourse?

Unfortunately, I don't recall the name of the app (game), but the text I received is a "mobile registration alert" with my phone# and the cost, with name Fonesocial (800-814-2129) in text.  On principle, I texted back complaining about the deceitfulness of the app and refuse to call the number.  I'm watching my bill to see if I get a charge from them.

Tags (1)
0 Likes
Re: "Free" apps that are not free - recourse?
FDAck

Does Gamezillas sound familiar to anyone?

0 Likes
AZSALUKI
Legend

no, but typically it clearly states it is a paid app and you have to put in your credit card info (doesn't bill to your vzn bill) so you should be ok. if it does show up on your vzn bill then i would think they could definitely help you out. most subscription type of apps have an agreement with vzn so i wouldn't worry too much.

0 Likes
Wildman
Legend

AZSALUKI wrote:

no, but typically it clearly states it is a paid app and you have to put in your credit card info (doesn't bill to your vzn bill) so you should be ok. if it does show up on your vzn bill then i would think they could definitely help you out. most subscription type of apps have an agreement with vzn so i wouldn't worry too much.

Might want to read disclosures closely because I received a charge to my account (No credit card was needed) for a so called Premium message service that I found out was rolled into a free download that I did for a app, so be careful because this can happen because they can add the rights to charge account when you download a app.

Read Closely what you are agreeing to because Verizon usually wont credit back and if they remove it will return, I blocked all Premium messages from ever being charged to my account again under Verizon Account Manager.

0 Likes
FDAck

Well, I just checked my bill - here's the charge for this "free" app:

8/21 6:36P Premium Messaging PREM_SMS 96653 FoneSocial Alerts -- 9.99

I checked these folks on line and sent a STOP txt to 96653 which is supposed to end the future charges. 

Beware of some of the free apps - they are not always what they appear to be!

0 Likes
Wildman
Legend

Also through you account manager you might want to do as I did and block the Premium Messages and this will make sure this wont happen again, it will automatically cancel any Premium messages that attempts to charge your account again, it under your log on and account features and theres no charge for this feature.

0 Likes
budone
Legend

When looking at an app, READ THE COMMENTS! Believe me, others will let you know if it is a scam!

0 Likes
andyinny

i wouldnt be too quick to say this is from an app. usually these scams so to speak are from people putting their phone # somewhere online... for a quiz, free ringtones, etc.

like someone else suggested, block premium messaging on your account. 

0 Likes
foggybottomboer

Where do you got to block these, I can't find it. New user.

0 Likes
Wildman
Legend

How do I prevent phone numbers on my account from using Premium Messaging?

Account holders can disable Premium Messaging via My Verizon.

To disable Premium Messaging:
  1. Make sure you are signed in to My Verizon
  2. Click on the Safe Guards icon.
  3. Under Service Blocks, click on “Add/Remove Blocks”. A list of available service blocks will display.
  4. Check the box next to “Block Premium SMS”.
Note: this needs to be done for each line on the account that you want to prevent from using Premium Messaging. This will prevent anyone from using those lines to subscribe to new Premium Messaging programs or from incurring premium charges from new programs.

Here is a link that should direct you where you need, I found this with a quidk search... http://support.vzw.com/faqs/Premium_TXT_and_MMS/faq_premium_txt_and_mms.html

andyinny wrote:

i wouldnt be too quick to say this is from an app. usually these scams so to speak are from people putting their phone # somewhere online... for a quiz, free ringtones, etc.

like someone else suggested, block premium messaging on your account. 

This is correct that this is a common way of authorizing a Premium messages but some programmers has figured out other ways to trick you into granting permission to allow them to charge your account. Basically you should be safe from the Market but when you buy from other sites outside the market network they can sometime work the premium message agreement into the agreement policy information to download app.
Best to read everything you are agreeing to these days, electronics agreement  can be just as dangerous even without credit card or account numbers, all they need is cell number.
0 Likes