difference between app and widget?
AZSALUKI
Legend

what's a widget and is it different from an app???? also....PLEASE tell me i can uninstall some of the apps that came loaded on the incredible (ie facebook). i know i can't get rid of city id.....but what about fb and twitter???

0 Likes
Re: difference between app and widget?
MrHost
Enthusiast - Level 3
A widget is a small app which is typically used to display information on screen. An application itself is usually a more detailed view of that information and gives more options for interacting with the program itself. Widgets use less memory in most cases, while applications use more. You can't uninstall FB or twitter if they are the original apps in the phone when purchased, well not from the factory install. You can elect not to add in your login information, and then it will not use resources to access them. I use Bloo for facebook on my phone and I use twitters twitter app. I use FBChat to chat on facebook, which is AWESOME!! Hope that helps. To uninstall apps that were included with your phone you would have to reinstall the phones android operating system. There are many possibilities of what can happen and bricking(breaking) your phone is possible if done incorrectly. Verizon forums don't support or endorse these options. Check XDA forums to find other options if it is important for you, but you may fix your problme by not including your facebook or twitter account info so the phone just won't use them and they won't take up any more resources of the phone. Space yes, but not processing power.
0 Likes
kmax44

I know this is an old thread but I am still a little confused about widgets...I do understand the difference between the two but I guess my question is I very seldom see widgets to download in the market, should I search for widgets if I want any program to update regularly? I have a sports app (Livescores) and when I was reading comments for the app and people were saying the widget was better but I have never seen it...is there a way to make it an app a widget?

0 Likes
AZSALUKI
Legend

you likely already have the widget, as many apps/widgets download in the same file. from one of your home screens (one with some empty space to add something) touch the "+" icon...select "widget"....and see if livescores is listed. if it's not there, then go to the market and search for livescores. you should have the option to "update" (instead of download...because you may have the older version of the app. it didn't used to include the widget).

0 Likes
budone
Legend

Some apps will have widgets. For example I downloaded the scanner radio app. It comes with three different widgets.

Soooooooooo for livescores, since you have DL'd the app, now go click the + sign in the lower right hand corner of the seven screens and choose widgets and see if it is there to add.

0 Likes
kmax44

I looked in under widgets and there was not one for livescores and I have the latest version, but I am happy and it answers my questions so any time I download an app I should check to see if a widget was installed also? And thank you for your prompt reply!!

0 Likes
budone
Legend

I purposely downloaded Livescores to see if it has widgets. It has two. And thanks for the suggestion, the widget IS awesome. A ton of options on what and how often you would like to see it.

0 Likes
AZSALUKI
Legend
Yeah....they should be there? If you find the app in the market it specifically says that it now has widgets. Maybe you should try installing it and then download it again.
0 Likes
kmax44

I removed and reinstalled app and the widgets were there like you said, but oddly enough the widgets disapear if I move the app to the sd card is that normal for widgets? Also when I click to add the widget it takes me to the menu screen for the app to configure my teams etc., but does not place an icon on any of my home screens is it the same on yours?

0 Likes
AZSALUKI
Legend

yeah. i dowloaded it just to see what you were talking about. mine did the same (i didn't move it to the sd card). i go to add the widget, and set it all up....then nothing is there? if you look at the comments from the last two days, it looks like MANY people are having issues since it updated last (one, in particular, says "widget will not load" and another said they had to try to load it a number of times). too many bugs for me. i'll just go back to espn scorecenter. it has a NICE widget and more features

0 Likes