backup assistant useless
bersh
Enthusiast - Level 3

So I made the mistake of activating the Backup Assistant on my Droid X.  This program is useless.  After figuring out some quirks with it not wanting to back up my Google contacts, I finally got it to work.  When I go online to check the contacts, it saves the names but no phone numbers.  It does save mailing addresses for the few contacts that I had entered that info for.

So what's the use of this clunky, crappy 'service' supposed to be?  Am I missing something?  Is there a way short of a factory reset to get rid of it or at least turn it off?  I'm temped to root the phone for no other reason than to get rid of this program.

0 Likes
Re: backup assistant useless
AZSALUKI
Legend

not sure? maybe it's a droid x issue? i've used it for 4 years on various phones and it's always worked fine. when i got my htc inc, i activated backup assistant and in a minute all of my contacts and info were there.

0 Likes
bersh
Enthusiast - Level 3

The thing that is frustrating is that if I edit contacts in the phone, it doesn't show up online.  If I edit it online, it will show up in the phone.  It should work both ways - after all, it brings over some of the info from the phone to online.

0 Likes
Omniceribrus

Hi bersh,

Did you go into the Backup Assistant application and click "Sync Now" before logging onto the website? The changes you make on your device will not be reflected on the web until you either manually sync the information, or your phone auto-syncs at whatever time you have it set. 

Also, Backup Assistant can not sync Google contacts, so make sure any contacts are linked to "Phone Contacts" to make sure they are being backed up.

Hope this helps!

0 Likes
bersh
Enthusiast - Level 3

I've manually synced online, manually using the phone, using the automatic update, etc.  I did figure out that it wouldn't just grab the Google contacts, so I placed them all in a group which then made them phone contacts.  No luck.

It will work for *some* email addresses, but not all.  By that I mean some contacts all the email addresses get transferred, others none.  Some contacts only one of a few emils gets transferred, which can be different than others (i.e. - work email for one person, home email for another, other email for others, etc.)

This has got to be one of the clunkyist, unintuitive pieces of software ever written.

0 Likes