Re: Verizon Wireless and OpenVPN
tpaipv6
Enthusiast - Level 2

Yep exactly.  Apple dictated to the carriers that they would run Apple's chosen iOS exactly for [removed] reasons like this.  Here we are stuck in the middle of an Android 4.4.4 bug that Google is ignoring and stuck on Android 4.4.4 because Verizon can't get the job done and won't let us fix our own problems by allowing us to unlock phones that are already captive to their network.

I just switched to an iPad from a Samsung tablet, both on Verizon, for similar reasons; the Samsung has been dropped from support so it's never going to see an android version later than 4.4.  At least with Apple I have a general idea of when they're going to stop supporting something, and Verizon can't impact that in any way.  As a side bonus, VPN's actually work correctly lol.  Just wish VX ConnectBot SSH client was available on iOS; the iOS SSH clients are not as nice.

Content removed as required by the

Message was edited by Verizon Moderator

stalag
Enthusiast - Level 1

So here is the run down on the issue.  It is a bug in the policy routing / vpn framework for Android KitKat 4.4.x.  I was not able to nail to any one specific bug documenting the issue on the Google/AOSP site or the exact offending code or conditions which causes it to occur.  I have a developer phone and ran various debug utilities and tcpdump/wireshark to figure what the cause was. The VPN framework on 4.4.x occasionally leaks packets to the mobile network.  When Verizon's network detects packets with the source address of your VPN assigned IP address it kicks you off their network causing your phones modem to reset.  Other wireless service providers may not have these network/policy protections in place and it will go unnoticed as you are not kicked off their network when your device routes packets inappropriately.  It is not an IPV6 issue, though IPV6 leaks may be of another concern.  If you can root (haha, good luck) your phone, you can create firewall policies with iptables to block the bad packets and prevent the disconnects from occurring.  You might even be able to automate it with the Tasker app or create a specific app to do it. The other alternative is to get a device with Android Lollipop 5.1 as I have not observed the issue with OpenVPN under the new OS.  Most of the VPN services/apps available in the market are based on OpenVPN, BTW.

I have not done any packet captures while using OpenVPN on WiFi, but I would not be surprised if 4.4.x was leaking packets on those networks as well.  Most WiFi routers and ISP's will just silently drop packets (or worse, forward them) with source address violations and not disconnect the offender.  As such I cannot recommend anyone use any VPN applications on 4.4.x devices as your communications are not likely to be completely secure.  This issue has been plaguing everyone for nearly two years and I find it hard to believe that Google nor any other vendor has acknowledged the issue let alone fixed it for 4.4.x devices.  It is unbelievable that software updates for these devices are abandoned almost as soon as they are released, despite costing many hundreds of dollars.  Alas, you have your answer and the completely unreasonable solution.

knightcrusader
Enthusiast - Level 1

Just want to add I had this same issue this past weekend, and at first I was using a Galaxy Note II with 4.4.4. I had my Nexus 6 with me with 6.0.1 so I put my SIM card in that to get around the problem.

Sadly, the problem still exists. Looks like the bug isn't fixed yet.