Re: Verizon Wireless and OpenVPN
xxxOverload

I just got a note 4 and am having the same issue! About ready to return the phones and cancel everything. I need VPN!

It is for sure a problem with the phone. Drops data connection as soon as data starts to flow. It is not a problem with the VPN tunnel. I tested it through tethering with my note 2 and it works just fine but, on the note 4 it drops the LTE connection every single time.

If only Verizon wouldn't lock there bootloader this would be fixed with root and a custom ROM.

0 Likes
bpyazel
Enthusiast - Level 1

Same issue on the LG G3.  How is this still a problem?  I've tried three different VPNs, all with their own apps and several openVPN apps.  Same result with all, disconnects about every 30 seconds.  When will this be fixed?  Was this done to prevent VPNs on Verizon's network since you inject data into our packets to sell to retailers without our permission and this would circumvent that?

LorBak
Enthusiast - Level 2

I'm hoping the next update fixes it. I'm especially upset that I was

outright lied to by the sales associate when told that the feature was

available. Not even the VPN in settings is usable!

I have read in a couple forums that you can purchase a $500 static IP from

Verizon and it will work again!

JeepSmith
Enthusiast - Level 1

I wonder..... has anyone tried a Lollipop ROM on their Dev Edition MotoX?    Seemingly this would be a fix.

Another question may be.... why in the _______ hasn't Vzw gotten us MotoX 1stGen peeps our Lollipops let.  Slackers!!  Come on guys... I know you (MotoMobility) got bought out but can't someone help us out?

Eric

Arwkin
Enthusiast - Level 1

Add the Motor Droid Turbo to the list.

Kitkat V4.4.4

Same experiences listed throughout this thread.

Hoping Lollipop is the fix.

Davel23
Enthusiast - Level 3

Well after giving up any hope that this problem might ever be resolved I decided to give it one more try after my Galaxy S5 updated to Android 5.0.  And now... it seems to work.  I was able to stay connected to both 4G and my VPN for about an hour and perform several tasks I was unable to since switching to Verizon.  So I'll say with cautious optimism that Lollipop fixes the issue.  Keeping my fingers crossed.

bilditup1
Enthusiast - Level 2

I had the same issue with several VPN apps and services with Android KitKat/4.4.4 on my Sony Xperia Z3 Compact (using with LTE only). Upon upgrading to Lollipop/5.0, they began working. I suspect this is related to the issue described here:

Issues with IPSEC-VPN client and Verizon VZ4G LTE network | VPN | Cisco Support Community | 6001 | 6...

and am assuming that something under the hood in Lollipop helps avoid the IP conflicts caused by VZW NATboxes.

tpaipv6
Enthusiast - Level 2

As painful as it is to admit, I believe the issue is primarily Android 4.4 but with Verizon playing a role.  Unfortunately for me, being on Verizon's "flagship" Droid Turbo, which is stuck on 4.4 even though we were all promised 5.x nine months ago and subsequently screwed repeatedly, I have no options to fix the issue.

Anyway, to elaborate, I'm connecting my woefully out of date Droid Turbo with 4.4.4 to both an OpenSwan/L2TP server on linux, and a Fortigate firewall hardware device.  Both fail.  They will bring up the tunnel happily, I'll get about ten seconds of traffic through, then it drops.  The first hint that this was a Verizon issue was the failure of dead peer detection.  The Fortigate will consider my phone to be unreachable after that amount of time and drop the session.

I attempted to turn off DPD but then I just lose the connection after ten seconds and the firewall keeps it there for a long time before finally giving up.

I have NAT-T (aka NAT Traversal) enabled, did not make a difference.

I was about to give up, found this thread, tried my wife's Galaxy S6 Edge, same software and same setup, and it works fine.  Hers is running Android 5.x.  I have a VL600 LTE USB modem.  I tried it with my Apple MacBook Pro and similar vpn setup, it works fine.  I have an Apple iPad Air 2 running iOS 8 on Verizon 4 G LTE, its VPN also works fine using the built-in Cisco IPSec client.

So, in summary:

• multiple OS's work fine on Verizon's 4G LTE network using IPSec VPN's (windows and mac os over Verizon VG600 cell usb modem, iOS on iPad Air 2)
  • Android 5.x Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge works fine over Verizon 4G LTE.
  • Android 4.4.4 definitely does NOT work fine on Verizon's 4G LTE network using an IPSec VPN, whether the VPN server has DPD and/or NAT-T enabled.  My Droid Turbo is witness to this.
  • Anyone with a Verizon Droid Turbo is f'd because they're going to leave that phone on 4.4.4 until everyone forgets all about them promising 5.x but never delivering.
  • Google is ignoring the 18 month old bug report on this issue for Android 4.4.4:  Issue 62714 - android - VPN issues on KitKat (version 4.4) - Android Open Source Project - Issue Tra...
bilditup1
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks for the update on this issue. It's too bad VZW has to use NAT boxes but Google really should have patched this long ago.

BGarlock
Enthusiast - Level 1

This bug is terrible.  I have a 2013 MotoX dev edition, and waiting for Moto and Verizon to release lollipop has been awful.  I'm thinking of flashing CM 12.1 to hopefully get this bug fixed.  Android fragmentation is making me either go Nexus or maybe even Apple.  Waiting over a year for a phone update is unacceptable.