Skip to main content
Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Get up to $500 when you bring the phone you love. OR get iPhone 13, on us. Online only. With Select 5G Unlimited plans. Ends 1.31. Buy now
end of navigation menu
The latest version of NFL Mobile (after July 22, 2010)
jillmart
Newbie

 

I have a question about the NFL Mobile app. I downloaded it before July 22, and I've since downloaded the latest version of the app today on July 25 and un-installed the older version of the application.
I am seeing conflicting reports on the cost of the new version of this NFL Mobile app. I'm reading that starting Sept. 1, I will have to pay for the live video and RedZone features. However, another report is listing that if I downloaded the older app before July 22, I have access to everything this application provides for the entire NFL 2010 season. Which is correct?
Also, I'm new to using smartphones. Is there a way for Verizon to tell when I originally downloaded, installed, and un-installed applications? If so, is there a way I can see this as well? I only have been able to see how much data I've used in my plan, not what I used it for.

 

I have questions about the NFL Mobile app. I downloaded it before July 22, and I've since downloaded the latest version of the app today (July 25) and un-installed the older version of the application.


I am seeing conflicting reports on the cost of the new version of this NFL Mobile app. I'm reading that starting Sept. 1, I will have to pay $10 per month for the live video and RedZone features. However, another report is listing that if I downloaded the older app before July 22, I have access to everything this application provides for the entire NFL 2010 season. Which is correct?


Also, I'm new to using smartphones. Is there a way for Verizon to tell when I originally downloaded, installed, and un-installed applications? If so, is there a way I can see this as well? I only have been able to see how much data I've used in my plan, not what I used it for.

0 Likes
Re: The latest version of NFL Mobile (after July 22, 2010)
jillmart
Newbie

Sorry for this to post twice. As I said, I'm a newbie.

0 Likes
Re: The latest version of NFL Mobile (after July 22, 2010)
budone
Legend

I would suspect there would be a new Version coming out After July 22nd. 

 

UPDATE, I went searching Verizon. Beginning Sept 1 to access any video from the NFL app, including highlights and live football games, will cost $10/month for the VCast package. There is no mention if you downloaded the app prior July 22nd.

0 Likes
Re: The latest version of NFL Mobile (after July 22, 2010)
rwilliams268
Newbie

My problem with this whole thing is I already pay for unlimited data and web with the $29.99 a month smartphone plan and I don't see how I should be charged an additional $10 a month for something that uses the data that I already pay for.

0 Likes
Re: The latest version of NFL Mobile (after July 22, 2010)
spottedcatfish
Champion

 


rwilliams268 wrote:

My problem with this whole thing is I already pay for unlimited data and web with the $29.99 a month smartphone plan and I don't see how I should be charged an additional $10 a month for something that uses the data that I already pay for.


You are paying for the content.  Verizon is in the business of getting their customer's coming and going, so first you have to pay for a way to get the content, then you have to pay for the content.  I hope there isn't much advertising involved, but since it's extra revenue stream, I wouldn't be surprised.

 

0 Likes
Re: The latest version of NFL Mobile (after July 22, 2010)
Angelface55
Newbie

You asked the exact same questions that have been driving me nuts for weeks now! I have read conflicting reports as well but here are two articles I read that help clear up some things.

 

(This is on the actual verizon wireless website)

1. http://community.vzw.com/t5/DROID-Community-Blogs/NFL-Mobile-App-Only-From-Verizon/ba-p/234953

 

2.  http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Hey-Football-Fans-NFL-Mobile-prnews-2348684600.html?x=0&.v=1

 

 

I also called Verizon and asked about these conflicting reports and their Rep told me that if you Downloaded it before July  19-21st you were grandfathered  in and will not have to pay the $10 extra for video. You will continue to recieve the premium features for free throughout the 2010-2011 Season after September 1st.. If you downloaded after July 22nd then you will have to pay the $10 for vcast subscription in order to watch the videos.

 

I explained to her I can't find a  way to figure out what date I exactly downloaded it on my phone or even on "My Verizon" account. She told me she has no way of  checking since it is on my phone and then asked a technician who also explained that there is no way for us to check ourselves on our phones. Sounds pretty silly to me that we can't have an exact download date for our applications because it  seems like something so simple. But that's what he said and apparently he's the expert. (Off subject: that also leads me to question how then, can they know whether we downloaded before or after the 22nd in order to qualify for the free premium features. How is that tracked then, if there are no download dates saying when we did it. Know what I mean? When we access the live video stream of games after September 1st, does the application automatically adjust itself to not cause a charge on our bills? How does verizon verify it? I don't know. Just food for thought) So again no way of checking when Apps were downloaded by Verizon or ourselves and if you can remember when you downloaded it initially (which I can't) and it was before the 22nd then you are safe for the whole season! No charges for you including video. Lucky for me the Rep was also a Colts fan like me and was a big help on understanding all this. Unfortunately I'm just going to have to wait till September 1st to see if I downloaded before the 22nd or after if that charge appears. Hope my post helped!

0 Likes
Re: The latest version of NFL Mobile (after July 22, 2010)
budone
Legend

It does not matter if you DL'd before that date or not. I did, and the program became unusable last week stating I needed to DL the new version 

0 Likes
Re: The latest version of NFL Mobile (after July 22, 2010)
Angelface55
Newbie

budone wrote:

It does not matter if you DL'd before that date or not. I did, and the program became unusable last week stating I needed to DL the new version 


I also questioned that. I have updated two or three times since I first downloaded the application. I just updated alittle while ago because of the roaming issues they were having I believe and it would not allow me to continue on to the app without forcing me to upgrade. When I followed the "Upgrade" tab it was also requesting an email address to show me what steps to follow just to update. That didn't make sense to me. Why do I have to give my email address just  to "show me". But it wouldn't let me use the app unless I upgraded so I finally did going thru the Market without giving an email address. I asked the rep if that changes my download date or if the very first time I downloaded it still counts. She said the initial date still counts, the rest are just "upgrade" dates. Who the hell knows. I'm so frustrated with it all. Leave it to Verizon to make things so confusing and NEVER give a  straight yes or no answer. I'm getting tired of having to pay extra for everything too since I already pay for unlimited data as well,  but if I do break down and do the $10  I realized it won't just be for NFL videos, it will be for everything pertaining to videos including shows and weather, news, etc. That might be worth it.. Ugh. I just love football and want  to watch my games. Don't get many Colts games here in Tx.

0 Likes
Re: The latest version of NFL Mobile (after July 22, 2010)
budone
Legend

 


Angelface55 wrote:

budone wrote:

It does not matter if you DL'd before that date or not. I did, and the program became unusable last week stating I needed to DL the new version 


I also questioned that. I have updated two or three times since I first downloaded the application. I just updated alittle while ago because of the roaming issues they were having I believe and it would not allow me to continue on to the app without forcing me to upgrade. When I followed the "Upgrade" tab it was also requesting an email address to show me what steps to follow just to update. That didn't make sense to me. Why do I have to give my email address just  to "show me". But it wouldn't let me use the app unless I upgraded so I finally did going thru the Market without giving an email address. I asked the rep if that changes my download date or if the very first time I downloaded it still counts. She said the initial date still counts, the rest are just "upgrade" dates. Who the hell knows. I'm so frustrated with it all. Leave it to Verizon to make things so confusing and NEVER give a  straight yes or no answer. I'm getting tired of having to pay extra for everything too since I already pay for unlimited data as well,  but if I do break down and do the $10  I realized it won't just be for NFL videos, it will be for everything pertaining to videos including shows and weather, news, etc. That might be worth it.. Ugh. I just love football and want  to watch my games. Don't get many Colts games here in Tx.


Understand this program will not get you all games. ONLY games shown on the NFL Network on Thursday or Sunday night.

 

 

I had the same 'Roaming' issue also.

0 Likes
Re: The latest version of NFL Mobile (after July 22, 2010)
Joe_Kuz
Newbie

Wow only thurs. and sunday games....you gotta be kiddin'.  All that $ vzw coughed up for this deal with nfl and they can only show games pretty much anyone with tv service and nfl channel can watch.  You have 2 give customers games they can't watch if you want them to pay extra.  Not all just maybe just their one favorite teams games for season or something. 

0 Likes