Skyoe Moblie
Gavin

Does anybody use this app?  What is the purpose of it?

0 Likes
Re: Skyoe Moblie
usdoc1

It is Skype Mobile. You must have a skype account first. Then you can get a local number where you reside. From this you can make calls to anyone to a land line or mobile phone for a fraction of the cost of a land line. Almost all in Europe and those who are aware of this take advantage of this feature. I have this on my Verizon phone and can call my folks across the globe for pennies! Enjoy this feature.

0 Likes
Re: Skyoe Moblie
sHaY_j
Contributor - Level 3

Skype™ is an application for PCs (Personal Computers) and wireless devices that allows Skype customers to place free or low cost calls to other PCs, wireless devices, and landline phones.

Verizon Wireless has launched Skype mobile, a mobile version of Skype for select BlackBerry and Android 3G Smartphones, which offers customers:

• Unlimited Skype-to-Skype:
    • calling (domestically and internationally).
    • instant messaging.
  • The ability to call landline and mobile numbers in the U.S.
  • Low rates for international long distance calls.

Here's a chart with more details about this app.

DROID by Motorola, Motorola DEVOUR or DROID ERIS by HTC Customers

Skype mobile can be downloaded for free from the Verizon Channel in the Android Market.

BlackBerry Storm, Storm2, Curve 8330, Curve 8530, 8830 World Edition, Tour Customers

Skype mobile can be downloaded for free from several places including:

• The device’s Home screen (for consumers i.e. BIS / BlackBerry Internet Support)
  • VzStart (or consumers and business (i.e. BES / BlackBerry Enterprise Server)
Android and BlackBerry 3G Smartphone Customers

From the customer's Phone Browser at:

From the browser on their 3G smartphones at www.skype.com/m, or text keyword SKYPE to 2255

Caller ID Block
  • Skype mobile will not work with Caller ID Block.
  • Customers must remove Caller ID Block to use Skype mobile.
  • When calling a Skype Contact, the call will come up as Skype Call and a number with a 404 area code in the Caller ID.
  • The 404 number will be stored automatically in the device's address book and will only be used by the Skype mobile application.
  • When calling a U.S. mobile or landline number, the Caller ID will display the name and phone number of the caller.
Privacy Settings

Privacy settings set on the Skype PC client will also apply to Skype mobile. To minimize Spam sent to either the computer or the device, follow these steps on the computer:

• Go to Skype in the menu bar and select Privacy.
  • Click on Show advanced options.
  • Select people in my Contact list only, for each option.
  • Click Save.
Wi-Fi Networks
  • Skype mobile can only be used on Verizon Wireless’ Nationwide and Extended Nationwide Rate and Coverage Area in the U.S., and not on Wi-Fi networks.
  • There is no need for customers using BlackBerry 3G Smartphones to disable their Wi-Fi network connection while using Skype mobile, because both can be used simultaneously.
  • Customers using Android 3G Smartphones must disable their Wi-Fi network connection to use Skype mobile.
  • On Android devices, if customers attempt to use Skype mobile while connected to a Wi-Fi network, customers will be notified that Skype mobile requires them to switch to the Verizon Wireless network, and they should either disable Wi-Fi or exit.
Additional Resources

The following Skype websites are available:

0 Likes
Re: Skype Mobile
JLL-Blackberry

Dear Shayonte:

I have a Verizon Blackberry Tour 9630 running the new 5.0.0.591 operating system from VZW.  When I click on www.skype.com/vzw, it takes me to a Skype screen that says the following:

Sorry, Skype Mobile is not available for your phone.

Switch to one of Verizon's best-selling Blackberry and Android  3G smartphones.

Visit www.skype.com/go/skypemobile to learn more.

All of the literature says that Skype should work for my phone.  What is the problem?

Thank you,

JLL

0 Likes
bluecoco

I have the droid incredible, I've downloaded skype from teh sms that was sent to my phone.  I've signed up on my laptop as a skype user. 

When I try to connect to skype on my phone, I get teh message...  "skype mobile can only be used on Verizon Wireless in the US.  To learn more about using skype mobile, Go to verizonwireless/skypemobile."

What the heck, this is where I got the link from!!!  I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling, same error.  Any help here?

0 Likes
fezzik
Contributor - Level 3

You cannot call landlines in the US only international landlines.  So it is great if you call over seas or happen to have friends on SKYPE but aside from that it is useless. 

To use SKYPE to its fullest you have to either tether your phone to a Laptop or get an iPhone.  iPhone's Skype app does allow WiFi and SKype out calling.  Go figure. 

0 Likes
Gianni

Hello JLL,

I had the same problem until I found a work around.

On your Tour go to your browser and type: http://start.vzw.com

once the page loads click On the Get Apps Icon, scroll down until you see <Skype> click On it and it will download for you...

Apparently there is some issue On the VZW site preventing the download.

Hope this helps!!

Gianni

0 Likes
Re: Skype Moblie
Fancyjules

Ok, here's one for ya....

I just got my Blackberry Bold, my husband the Android.  He is in the states and I am in Afghanistan.  We were told that we could Skype mobile to mobile for free on the 3G network.  Now that I am back in Afghanistan it is saying that you can only use Skype in the US.  Can anybody offer some help?

0 Likes
Android10
Contributor - Level 3

I apologize, Skype Mobile does not work when traveling outside the United States or in Puerto Rico.

You would need to be on the Verizon Wireless Nationwide Network or the Extended Network in the United States to use Skype Mobile.

0 Likes