Re: Yahoo Email On Droid
jpdroid

I got my Moto Droid on Nov. 6th with no problems until today.

This morning, the Gmail was not connecting through the Gmail app/widget, (I could still open browser and get to my Gmail that way). Hitting the Gmail widget brought up old emails and said I had 4 new messages, but would not load them, it said "NO CONNECTION, RETRY" and would not bring up the new messages, no matter how many time I tried to reconnect..

At noon, I took it back to the VZW store. The rep there, tried for an hour to fix it, no joy, he called his tech guy to see if he was missing anything, he wasn't.  After another call to another tech guy, (another hour later) he says the Gmail app is a third party app. (Google, a third party app on a Google branded phone??, I don't get it, anyway) and Google would have to address the problem. So he put me on hold and attempted to contact Google, no luck (I guess they were out to lunch, as it was 2pm CST). Then he said what I wanted to hear, "You can swap out the phone at the store". Finally I thought I was about to get out of there.

The VZW rep swapped out the phone, transferred my contacts, and SD card and handed it to me to check out the Gmail, still no joy. And now my Yahoo mail didn't work. (We were loosing ground) I handed it back to him, after some more tinkering,  new problem(s), no market, no browser, and no calls.  So at  3pm I'm frustrated and hungry I say "I'll be back", I step over to the sub shop next door, get  some lunch, and before I could eat, the VZW rep came over with my phone and asked me to try it out. Makes calls, check. Opens Browser, check. Opens Market, check. Opens Gmail,.... wait for it,..... check. Yes, finally. I was leaving happy.

But then, after I got back home, I tried to open Yahoo mail, no joy, it gives me "Username or password incorrect"  even after changing the IMAP server to "imap.mail.yahoo.com", the Wi-Fi is off.  I can load up other email accounts but not Yahoo.

So any help with this, without having to go back to the VZW store will be greatly appreciated.

0 Likes
AFguy
Contributor - Level 2

Yahoo has made some changes recently that has affected users from setting up their yahoo email accounts on their mobile devices.  This is the same as setting up access to your yahoo mail on your desktop via outlook/outlook express.  It cannot be done unless you sign up for Yahoo Mail Plus, which costs $19.99 per year.  There was a way to access your yahoo mail on the droid when it first came out, as described in the earlier posts of this thread.  However, you can no longer access your yahoo mail this way, as it will give you an "invalid username/password" message.  I contacted Yahoo support and was told I would need to upgrade to Yahoo Mail Plus in order to successfully access my yahoo mail this way on my mobile device.  You can still access your yahoo mail by browsing to mail.yahoo.com on your device.

0 Likes
Laytimator

AFguy wrote:

Yahoo has made some changes recently that has affected users from setting up their yahoo email accounts on their mobile devices.  This is the same as setting up access to your yahoo mail on your desktop via outlook/outlook express.  It cannot be done unless you sign up for Yahoo Mail Plus, which costs $19.99 per year.  There was a way to access your yahoo mail on the droid when it first came out, as described in the earlier posts of this thread.  However, you can no longer access your yahoo mail this way, as it will give you an "invalid username/password" message.  I contacted Yahoo support and was told I would need to upgrade to Yahoo Mail Plus in order to successfully access my yahoo mail this way on my mobile device.  You can still access your yahoo mail by browsing to mail.yahoo.com on your device.

Thanks, man!  I was wondering if I had missed something or wasn't doing something correctly.:smileyhappy:

0 Likes
emilynicol2
Enthusiast - Level 3

AFguy wrote:

Are you sure? I have a free account, I just set it up a few minutes ago (as instructions described in earlier post) on my Droid and it worked just fine :smileyhappy:

0 Likes
pdecks

I set up my account manually when I got my phone and it worked fine. The last email I got from my email accounts was 12/3/09. I had mail from 12/4/09 in that account --are the changes that Yahoo has made affecting those of us that set all this up manually weeks ago?

0 Likes
RB94
I pulled this from another poster.  I did it EXACTLY like it said and it does indeed work.

I will add my 2 cents here. I hope it helps.

Follow these directions exactly:

1. Make sure Wi-Fi is turned off.

2. Press the E-Mail icon (the default Android E-Mail application). If you already have an account for this icon, add another account.

3. Enter your Yahoo E-Mail address and password.

4. Press "Manual Setup" in the lower left hand corner.

5. For "Incoming Server Settings" set the IMAP server to "imap.mail.yahoo.com" and the Port to 143.

6. For "Outgoing Server Settings" set the SMTP Server to "smtp.mobile.mail.yahoo.com" and the Port to 587

7. Check "Require sign-in" and press Next

8. Select how ofter your Droid will check for E-Mail, and choose default options.

9. Give the account a name and set your display name for outgoing messages.

These directions were downloaded from: http://phandroid.com/2009/11/09/motorola-droid-yah oo-email

I used these directions on the 11th of November and have been sending and receiving email from my Free Yahoo account everyday since.

0 Likes
RodneyB
Enthusiast - Level 2

There is a Yahoo Mail app now.

Go to the Market to download it.