New Trojan to watch out for on Market...
Wildman
Legend

I was researching some information and came acress this article the users need to be aware of it is labeled "New GGTracker Trojan imitates Android Market to lure you in" over at Lookout, Android centrol and a few other sites...

Check the article out at

Daily News

http://dailynewscourier.com/new-ggtracker-trojan-imitates-android-market-to-lure-you-in.html

Lookout

http://community.vzw.com/t5/forums/postpage/board-id/Apps

Android Central

http://www.androidcentral.com/new-ggtracker-trojan-imitates-android-market-lure-you

USE CAUTION: IT TIME TO ACKNOWLEDGE THAT HACKERS ARE TAGETING ANDROID USERS, ANTI-VIRUSES IS BECOMING A NEEDED ITEM ON YOUR DEVICE AND I SUGGEST YOU LOOK INTO ONE...

I suggest also consider disabling Premium SMS messages from your account to avoid this type of attack....

Log Into Verizon Account by clicking this option https://nbillpay.verizonwireless.com/vzw/accountholder/uc/UCServiceBlocks.action

6-21-2011 5-42-12 PM.png

0 Likes
Re: New Trojan to watch out for on Market...
reallyniceguy
Contributor - Level 3
As long as you have "install from unknown sources" unchecked, this trojan wont affect you. Its only for people that install apps that are not from the market.
0 Likes
Wildman
Legend

reallyniceguy wrote:
As long as you have "install from unknown sources" unchecked, this trojan wont affect you. Its only for people that install apps that are not from the market.

This information is correct but method has been found on the market that did not require being sideloaded so the app can get access to system through regular installation processes..  There has been a few apps that rooted the users device to grant access.

Monday, June 6, 2011 a programmer recreated a stock app on devices and released it on market that installed itself to the root and gave itself SU rights when the user downloaded a infected file..

Even without sideloading attacks are becoming more inventive in infection methods..

Check out Lookout complete post at http://blog.mylookout.com/2011/06/security-alert-android-trojan-ggtracker-charges-victims-premium-ra...

0 Likes
B33
Legend

Wildman i want to ask as long as you dont click on the advertisement's when on the Web or you dont Purchase any wild apps

witch i don't.  Acually i havent got any new apps since well that Eqaulizer app but i unistalled it.  Now will apps Like Zedg or

pandora that have advertisement on them.  will they if accidently touch in the advertisement  area cause this problem to pop up.

And on my texting i dont use any text services from the Market. i go to my contacts an send a text that way or when i send a Email

i'll use my Gmail or yahoo. I dont use I M messaging.  And doing your updates on your apps! this is still ok ?  or should that be

Avoided as Well.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader
I'm glad I have had one antivirus application or another on my devices from pretty much day one.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
Wildman
Legend

DincX110 wrote:

Wildman i want to ask as long as you dont click on the advertisement's when on the Web or you dont Purchase any wild apps

witch i don't.  Acually i havent got any new apps since well that Eqaulizer app but i unistalled it.  Now will apps Like Zedg or

pandora that have advertisement on them.  will they if accidently touch in the advertisement  area cause this problem to pop up.

This is directed to a infected file and does not apply to all advertisement on all apps but like article reported to use causion if a app wants to open a browser to download something from the market, the market does not use outside link sources. 

And on my texting i dont use any text services from the Market. i go to my contacts an send a text that way or when i send a Email

The method of Premium Messages is a old tactic used to charge a monthly fee directly to you phone bill and has nothing to due with Market, usually it requires a user to place their cell number to download something from the site and once this information they activate a monthly email to device that will charge usually a 9.99 fee to bill as if it was a requested service from the user.... This is why I suggested disabling this with Verizon so if a site attempt this it will instantly restrict the account from being setup..

i'll use my Gmail or yahoo. I dont use I M messaging.  And doing your updates on your apps! this is still ok ?  or should that be

It is wise to continue updates because developers usually add security improvement to minimize their app from being hijacked, plus is a app gets modified and posted as a popular app that is already installed the verification signature usually wont match and it will not be able to override file so installation will probably fail.

Avoided as Well.

0 Likes
B33
Legend

Ok  i Hope wildman i'm asking the Question in the right way or form :smileyindifferent: an this is for any body that would ask the

same thing or want to know on this subject:  so do i need to remove my yahoo or gmail acc. or the My Verizon app . Now back

about a year i called verizon teck an had them pute this restriction on our acc. because of getting weired text messages that can

cost a person. so would that help stop this or would it effected it in a different way.  And i am going to get a security app i'm

just trying to figure out wich one i want.  

A foot note to pass on:

For some us out here the learning curve on this is stuff is like back when u was in grade school an trying to learn science or world history for  some  they learned it quick an done there home work in class an got A or B's.  with me i struggled with it an done my home work at home an was up past Midnight trying to get it done to get a D an on a rare occasion get a C. And what also helped me i respected the teachers an didn't smart talk back at them an that goes a long way.

0 Likes
Wildman
Legend

DincX110 wrote:

Ok  i Hope wildman i'm asking the Question in the right way or form :smileyindifferent: an this is for any body that would ask the

same thing or want to know on this subject:  so do i need to remove my yahoo or gmail acc. or the My Verizon app . Now back

about a year i called verizon teck an had them pute this restriction on our acc. because of getting weired text messages that can

cost a person. so would that help stop this or would it effected it in a different way.  And i am going to get a security app i'm

just trying to figure out wich one i want.  

A foot note to pass on:

For some us out here the learning curve on this is stuff is like back when u was in grade school an trying to learn science or world history for  some  they learned it quick an done there home work in class an got A or B's.  with me i struggled with it an done my home work at home an was up past Midnight trying to get it done to get a D an on a rare occasion get a C. And what also helped me i respected the teachers an didn't smart talk back at them an that goes a long way.

You do not need to do anything with you email accounts because those are not effected in any way, the access usually comes from a web site that the user places their phone number on to recieve a free app or info...  As long as you do not input this info on a unknown site this methid of attack shouldnt be a issue for you..

0 Likes
B33
Legend

Ok Dokie:  wildman thank you sir.!   you know we can count on ya when the poop gets deep  :smileywink:  an we all need that kick to get us out-a  harms way. I'd tost a ice cream sandwich with ya but i'm all out. Need to make a trip to Braums! :smileyvery-happy:

0 Likes