Mac to Droid Pro sync
Geoff49

Hi

I have just purchased a Droid Pro Global and as yet have not found a way to sync it with my Mac Book Pro ie the i Calendar or anything else it only recognizes PC when connected, Does anyone have any ideas to solve this problem.

Geoff49

0 Likes
Re: Mac to Droid Pro sync
RonAnderson
Steve did that on purpose. Apple with apple and no exceptions. I'm Steve and I know what is best for you and my computers!!!!

LOL
0 Likes
VZW_Zrock02
Contributor - Level 3

Here are the steps to sync your droid with the mac successfully

1) Safe Syncing

Syncing is only one step above the previous generations. It’s always best to start with a core data set and push it to other devices. Trying to merge two data sets can result in duplication and corruption.

If your Google account already has contacts, export them from Google as a vCard file and import them into your Mac Address Book.
Once imported, delete the contacts from Google so the initial sync pushes all your Mac info into Gmail. As always, it’s a good idea to back up your data before any sync endeavor. From the Mac Address Book, go to the File menu, then choose Export, and then Address Book Archive.

For your calendar, the safe sync concept is similar but you actually want to start with a populated Google calendar and a clear iCal. From experience, if you push too much into Google at once, it can freeze. If you already have a Google calendar, back it up by clicking “Settings” under the “My calendars” Then choose “Export Calendars”.

They’ll download as a zip file that you can double click and get the individual .ICS files. Similarly, backup your iCal by visiting the File Menu and choose “Backup iCal.”

Syncing can be buggy under the best of circumstances, which is why I recommend backups throughout the whole process.

Now that both your Google Calendar and your iCal calendar are backed up, you’ll then want to export your existing iCal calendars and import then into your Google calendar. This isn’t the same as backing them up. Click on a calendar, and then go to the File menu and choose “Export This” which will create individual .iCal files for each calendar you use. Note that Google doesn’t like To Dos so go ahead and remove those beforehand.

Now that you have your individual iCals exported, go to that same Settings tab in Google under “My Calendars” and now import your individual iCals into your existing calendars. Note: it won’t give you an option to create a new calendar from the import, so have your Google calendars ready beforehand. Finally, delete your iCal calendars (remember to back up first) so your iCal is clear of info and all your data is now on Google’s servers.

2) Getting The Sync On

If you have Snow Leopard, Google contact syncing is built-in: go to the Address Book Preferences and check “Synchronize with Google”. Put in your Google name and password and let the syncing begin! For Leopard users, you’ll need to own an iPhone or iPod touch to enable syncing or use third party apps like Gsync.

To sync calendars, you’ll need to be running Leopard or Snow Leopard. Go to your iCal application and then go to Preferences and then Accounts. Click the + icon and put whatever you want for description. For username put your name@gmail.com and your password for Gmail. Then under the disclosure triangle for Server Options, put https://www.google.com/calendar/dav/(followed by your googlemail address) and then user. So for example, https://www.google.com/calendar/dav/myname@gmail.com/user would be what you enter. Your calendars will now start downloading from the cloud. Alternatively, you can use BusySync and avoid these hassles.

For photos, iTunes-like picture sync isn’t available, but you can mount your Droid like any other mass-storage device and have it recognized. You’ll need to enable USB mounting first. Go to the menu at the top of your phone and then click USB Connection to mount the SD card. To move music and other multimedia files easily I recommend DoubleTwist. Keep in mind all applications are from third party developers and are download at your own risk.

http://www.google.com/sync/mac.html  

If the you want to transfer media / files to the device, the mass storage mode would need to be enabled.

http://support.vzw.com/clc/devices/knowledge_base.html?id=37415

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader
Wow Zack! I'm impressed that was the most clear and detailed instructions I have ever seen come from a Verizon employee here on the forum. I sincerely hope that it works smoothly for the readers.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes