Is there an APP for taking a "screenshot" on the DROID X??
jaylan222

Does anyone know if there is an APP that will allow me to take a "screenshot" on my droid x and save it as a pic?  The only ones I've found in the Android Market (that i'm aware of) are for phones that are "rooted".... and as we all know, the droid x cannot be "rooted".....  Anyone know of any APPS?  Thanks!!

0 Likes
Re: Is there an APP for taking a "screenshot" on the DROID X??
Steve_CTR

jaylan222 wrote:

Does anyone know if there is an APP that will allow me to take a "screenshot" on my droid x and save it as a pic?  The only ones I've found in the Android Market (that i'm aware of) are for phones{edited to comply with Terms of Service}

.....  Anyone know of any APPS?  Thanks!!

{edited to comply with Terms of Service}

There is a way to take screenshots with a computer, it requires the Android SDK though, and you may not be willing to go to those lengths.

Thanks!
Steve from CrappyTechReviews.com

Be Careful. While our members are generally helpful and eager to provide useful information, Wireless customers need to be cautious on what you decide to download as there is always potential risk that your device may be damaged or void your warranty.

Further, any posted content that states any benefits of why rooting or hacking should be done is also not allowed.

Thank you.

0 Likes
Wildman
Legend

There is other ways but for some reason the possiblities hasnt been investigated enough, I noticed that a number of applications like Lock2 and AWD seem to figure out a way to be able to do screen shots of there apps while open without being rooted, I have tried to get more information on how this was accomplished but havent had luck getting any further information..... {edited to comply with Terms of Service}

0 Likes
johnM356
Contributor - Level 1

I just followed this procedure on my Moto Droid.

it's not nearly as painstaking as it looks and it works great.

How to: Take Screens Shots without Rooting your Motorola Droid

I'm not sure if a Droid X requires a different procedure, but I can't see why it would.

0 Likes
johnM356
Contributor - Level 1

EDIT:

Here's an article on how to How to take screenshots on the Motorola DROID X.

The procedure looks identical - same tools, same everything.

0 Likes
Wildman
Legend

The SDK way is fine if you are sittung in front of a pc with this configured all the time, I perfer to be able to do a screen capture from the device because I have had a number of questions on how to do something and I usually do screen shots to allow the individual to see what I am explaining to maximize understanding..  I dont want to root device to do a simple screen shots and application backup.

0 Likes
johnM356
Contributor - Level 1

Root isn't necessary using the SDK.

0 Likes
Wildman
Legend

Realize that but you do have to be sitting in front of a pc to do one, like I explained that I use screen shots for instructional photos to help individuals understand how to do something and being in fornt a pc screen to do a screen shot makes no since when doing a simple function like that should need to be {edited to comply with Terms of Service}

to take a shot from devices when I have noted several applications that can do screen shots not on device that isnt rooted but it the user does have to be in the developers app to take shot that means it can only work on screen shots of their application.

{edited to comply with Terms of Service}

0 Likes
MurZimminy

I often do training myself and I researched screenshot information when I got my Droid.  What I learned is that as of Android 2.2, the only way to do screen captures without rooting the system is to use the SDK development tools.  The reason is to protect users from themselves.  If you are around technology long enough, you know that this is usually a good idea.  To prove my point, when you installed your last few apps and got the "warning" about all the potentially bad or costly access that app will have rights to do, did you read through and try to understand why the app needed those permissions?  Unless you are one of those "special" types that DOES do that, you have no idea.  You just trust the developer to be good.

Providing screenshot access would mean that I could build an awesome app that is both useful and popular but at the same time, capture and send screenshots of your data or activities to my server without you knowing.  Sure, someone might eventually catch on, but by then I have a ton of information and I have fled the scene and probably already created more apps to do the same.

After really considering my need for the screen captures, I realized that I really didn't need an app.  The developer tools work just fine for those times I need to capture something.{edit for TOS violation}

Hope this helps!

-= MZ =-

0 Likes
dhouse

I have a D Inc so not sur if the apps can be used interchangeably w/ the X or not but I have an app called "webshots" and it works. It takes a little getting use to but it works nonetheless. Good luck.

0 Likes