Re: Has anybody found a decent Outlook sync app?
Zendad

I have my Outlook  Calendar and Mail  synced to my Google email account and the Google account shows up on my Droid.

Calendar: Google Calendar Sync - had a bit of trouble getting Holidays setup properly - somehow I had duplicates from Outlook and Google. Download app from Google.

Mail: Kind of a strange setup, but it works for me. I have several email accounts and I didn't want all my mail going to the Droid, lots of junk. That made it harder to setup.

1) I have email from all non-Gmail accounts Forwarded to my Comcast account (when I forward from my email it does not stop the original message - it duplicates the message to a second destination - your email may just re-direct to the new destination) . The Forwarding is done at the service provider, not Outlook. Your computer and/or Outlook do not have to be running. If you want everything to go to your phone then just Forward to Gmail and you are done. Don't want everything then go to step two.  

2) Comcast has a nice filter system to control email. I have one rule to forward mail (all accounts) to Gmail based on the "From" field. I have a dozen "Forms".

If From contains "joe@Domain.com" or From contains "@work.com" then Forward to Gmail and File into Folder ForwardToGmail.

This filter fires 1st.  This is great. It get just the people I want redirected to my phone, but now I have duplicate message in my Outlook ( see explanation in step 1).

3) I created a 2nd Comcast filter to dump the duplicates. This filter is based on the "To" field for each of the Forwarded accounts.

If To contains Tony@Account1.net or To contains "Tony@Account2" then File into Folder TRASH.  

All this forwarding and filtering takes place quickly and before it gets to Outlook!

0 Likes
rjones

Updates on my original post.

I have bought CompanionLink for Google, which, for $40, will do the sync between Google and OUtlook. It maintains proper contact  fields and categories. Notes are copied to the Google Contacts database and denoted with |M| markers, since Google doesn't have a separate Notes database. If you use it, remember to uninstall from your PC the separate Google calendar app if you use it, otherwise you'll get duplicates. Still trying to get tasks to work. I don't have Microsoft Exchange. Only problem is that I think I have to buy a separate license for my laptop if I want to sync it to  CompanionLink. I'm trying to get a clarification on that from the company.

0 Likes
abiglion

I bought the RoadSync app from the Verizon Marketplace to sync with Outlook 2007 after finding out that I couldn't open any attachments with the regular mail system.  (If you use Gmail or web-based email you should not have this problem.)  It works great for me but you need to make sure to get the correct settings for the Exchange Server.  Get the free version of RoadSync and test it out before you buy it.

Good Luck and keep posting info so we can all get over our growing pains!  :smileyhappy:

0 Likes
sandydriod

I found a easy app to sync with my enterprise outlook. Its called Exchange by Touchdown. It does cost $9.99 but it works great. You can find it at in the Market, search Exchange By Touchdown.

Good Luck.... It has worked very well for me. Email, Calendar, Contacts....

0 Likes
Apple

I have looked at the Touchdown app ... looked pretty good, but it seems that it will not support  multiple local/global folders for either contacts or tasks?  I had heard that they are planning these features, but not in the near future due to hi priority items still pending?!?!?

I have exchange server in my office and use Outlook for my email, calendar, contacts (business & personal folders) and tasks (multiple folders).  I am looking to make sure I can do all of the below items before buying an Android phone.  If not, I guess I will need to go to a Blackberry?

1. Email support for multiple folders?

2. View email attachments (PDF, WORD & EXCEL files). This seems to be handled with all of them via DocsToGo?

3. Calendar support with exchange. Does it support 'private' appointments in outlook? I set up private appointments & these would be displayed on the phone, but masked on outlook (except those with viewing rights).

4. Contacts: support multiple contacts(personal - local folder) & global shared folder with other users in the office.

5. Memos: not important as I could use tasks just as easily for some of these that I use.

6. Tasks: this is actually one of the most critical issues for me as I use these to track several personal and shared projects. I need be able to sync multiple folders (local & shared global) from exchange with the phone. Do the tasks support folders as well as 'categories' and' due date'? Are there limitations for the length of text in the 'note' field. The other fields are not so important provided that no info would get truncated during syncs.

Thanks-

0 Likes
_bookbean1

Suggest you take a look at the Motorola discussion boards.   The censorship here is trulely amazing.

0 Likes
Backnblack

_bookbean1 wrote:

Suggest you take a look at the Motorola discussion boards.   The censorship here is trulely amazing.

Or over at http://androidforums.com/ or http://www.droidforums.net/forum/

No VZW Nazis over there.....

0 Likes
djc025

I had problems with Google Sync also. I finally found an application called gsync. I found it on {no third party software/apps links please} .  Sorry I had to type it out. For some reason it would not allow me to put in the hyper link. It worked well. I believe I paid $14.99 for it. I use an older version of Outlook. It is the 2003 version. You may want to visit their site. Good luck.

0 Likes
NVG1

Okay, so I searched and downloaded the program from HTC's site to sync my Eris to Outlook.  My contacts & calendar are now in my phone.  Why won't they sync to gmail from my phone???  I am constantly making changes to my contacts while in the field and need to know they will be in sync.  A one way connection is worthless.  I thought I was getting away from syncing to the computer all the time.

Please help

0 Likes
wakeboards

Can't believe its 2010 and there are no solid answers for the Droid and non-exchange Outlook users? I should have checked the forums before switching but this task seemed like such a basic necessity.

Did anyone get their Blackberry back? I would like to keep the Droid.

0 Likes