Google Wallet without secure element?
SuperSamGalaxy
Enthusiast - Level 3

Now that Google has made Wallet available to everyone, and just announced that with KitKat (Android 4.4) it will work, I would be curious to see whether tap to pay functionality will become available to Verizon customers.  It is important to note that as the new Wallet app will not use any hardware that all standard apps do not have access to, there is no legal grounds for Verizon to block it and doing so would be a violation of C Block regulations.  Though it was probably a violation before, Verizon had obstructed the truth with "security concerns" due to the fact that it used "proprietary hardware", which is no longer the case.  Will Google Wallet now become available to Verizon customers in its full form?

0 Likes
Re: Google Wallet without secure element?
SuperSamGalaxy
Enthusiast - Level 3

Missed some text and don't see an option to edit.  Please see my modified post below.

Now that Google has made Wallet available to everyone, and just announced that with KitKat (Android 4.4) it will work without the need for the secure element, I would be curious to see whether tap to pay functionality will become available to Verizon customers.  It is important to note that as the new Wallet app will not use any hardware that all standard apps do not have access to, there is no legal grounds for Verizon to block it and doing so would be a violation of C Block regulations.  Though it was probably a violation before, Verizon had obstructed the truth with "security concerns" due to the fact that it used "proprietary hardware", which is no longer the case.  Will Google Wallet now become available to Verizon customers in its full form?

0 Likes