GPS Coverage
Krzr93

Hey everyone.  I'm currently waiting for my Droid Incredible to arrive at my house and this will be my first smartphone so I need some feedback on the GPS in a certain situation I will be having in the next week.

So my question is, will the GPS on the phone be able to lead me from Cincinnati Ohio all the way to Speedwell Tennessee?  I will be taking 75 South pretty much all the way down until I think it is State Route 25 near Jacksboro.  I looked at the Coverage Map and there is mostly blue on the whole route but I noticed green bars in some areas and some white areas (no service) near some places on 75.  If I for some reason I lose service on the trip, will it kick me out of the GPS? Also do those green bars on the blue areas mean something that I should be aware of like limited 3G coverage? 

Here a easy link to the coverage map in case you want to have a look for yourself. http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/CoverageLocatorController

Also can someone tell me what the enchanced services mean on the coverage map?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: GPS Coverage
sbrazell
Enthusiast - Level 1

Looks to me like you should have good data coverage at least until you get into TN and leave I-75.

I just made a trip from central OK to central SC and had not intended to use my Droid Eris as my primary GPS but it ended up working out pretty well.  I don't have any personal experience with the Incredible but my experience with Google Navigation is that it will continue to guide you just fine during data outages as long as you continue to have a GPS signal.  Google prefetches info for your route ahead and will continue to display your route as long as you do not deviate.  However, the few times I lost data coverage, I was traveling along an interstate or major highway.  I don't know if it would do as well with many turns.  Looks like if you lose your data coverage, it will be closer to your destination where you will likely have more turns or more chance to deviate, so your experience may differ from mine.

Here is Google's explanation of how Navigation works during data coverage loss:

http://www.google.com/support/mobile/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=165383

Hope that helps

View solution in original post

0 Likes
dabubbakin
Contributor - Level 3
I do know that it gives you entire directions right off the bat. You can always write them down ahead of time? Just wait for reception to kick back in? Grab a map and mark it out ahead of time. Just to be safe. I went from NY to FLORIDA in May and it was easier to use a Tom Tom, but randomly I used the Incredible and it worked just fine. Best thing that happened to me was I needed an autozone while leaving Florida. A few taps of this thing gave me a list of closest autozones and took me right to it. It really made me appreciate technology, and not my car lol. My wife and I smiled at each other when the final destination picture looked just like where we were. Awesome experience, good backup. Don't know what insurance you have also but State Farm has a sweet app as well. Good luck!
0 Likes
Krzr93

I didn't know about the State Farm App.  I will be sure to take a look at it since I indeed have State Farm.  I would just hate to use GPS 4/5 of the trip just to have my service crap out on me leaving me confused on where I'm going next lol.

0 Likes
dabubbakin
Contributor - Level 3
That state farm app is sweet. You'll like it!
0 Likes
sbrazell
Enthusiast - Level 1

Looks to me like you should have good data coverage at least until you get into TN and leave I-75.

I just made a trip from central OK to central SC and had not intended to use my Droid Eris as my primary GPS but it ended up working out pretty well.  I don't have any personal experience with the Incredible but my experience with Google Navigation is that it will continue to guide you just fine during data outages as long as you continue to have a GPS signal.  Google prefetches info for your route ahead and will continue to display your route as long as you do not deviate.  However, the few times I lost data coverage, I was traveling along an interstate or major highway.  I don't know if it would do as well with many turns.  Looks like if you lose your data coverage, it will be closer to your destination where you will likely have more turns or more chance to deviate, so your experience may differ from mine.

Hope that helps

0 Likes
Krzr93

sbrazell wrote:

Hope that helps

Awesome!  That helps a lot.  The only problem I really see having then is the GPS draining the battery within an hour or 2.

0 Likes
MrHost
Enthusiast - Level 3
I liek the way the commercial for the air freshener puts it..Plug it in, plug it in..That way you aren't using the battery during the trip. SImple solution.
0 Likes