Droid compatibility with Microsoft Sync in Ford Vehicles
Coach13

Does anyone have any information that will let me know what the Droid compatibility is when using it in conjunction to the Microsoft Sync in my Ford?  Sync website has not tested this unit as of yet.  I dont want to spend the bucks without knowing if it is compatible or not.  I am pretty sure the bluetooth is, the only thing that concerns me is the google OS vs the microsoft OS.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Droid compatibility with Microsoft Sync in Ford Vehicles
compugeeknni
Enthusiast - Level 1

I'm glad the information was helpful.

One other thing that I forgot to mention is the pairing process.  It does work, but you have to be quick on the draw when you input the code from Sync to the Droid.  You only get about 20 seconds to enter the pairing code before the Droid sees it as a failed pairing.

Not a big deal, but it can lead you to believe that the pairing simply won't work if you don't know about the timeout and are a little too slow with the input.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
compugeeknni
Enthusiast - Level 1

I can't make any claims for all versions of Droid, or all versions of Sync, but here is what I have:

Droid running stock 2.0.1

2010 Ford Expedition with Sync 3.1 and Voice activated navigation system

I have been very happy with the overall interoperability.  I am able to download all of my contacts, place calls via voice command, see signal strength and battery remaining on the phone from the Nav system, and stream Blue Tooth audio (although BT control for audio is somewhat limited and a little bit quirky).  With BT audio streaming, the Sync system automatically starts playing a song as soon as the Droid connects (even is you don't have BT selected on the audio system) and the Sync/Nav system controls don't seem to work.  You have to access the music app on the phone and pause the song if you don't want it to keep streaming in the background.  Pausing the app on the phone also seems to then activate basic Sync control of play/pause, and next/previous track.  BT streaming volume also tends to be very low to start with and you have to bump the volume on the phone up to get it to acceptable input levels.

If I plug the phone into the car's USB port I am able to mount the SD card to the Sync system and have full control of the songs with the standard USB voice commands and Nav system buttons, plus it works well to keep the Droid charged.  You are still able to use all of the BT commands for the phone portion of the Droid even if you are using USB for the audio portion.

I know that I have seen some reports of various issues depending upon Sync version and/or original vs. updated Droid O/S, but so far I am very happy with my Droid/Sync experience.  There is still room for improvement, but both platforms are still under a fair amount of development so I expect that things will only get better with future releases from both companies (I know, this is probably wishful thinking given Ford's slow response to the iPhone 3.1.3 issues but it can't hurt to hope!:smileywink:).

0 Likes
Coach13

Thank you very much for the info.  This is what I have been searching for..

0 Likes
compugeeknni
Enthusiast - Level 1

I'm glad the information was helpful.

One other thing that I forgot to mention is the pairing process.  It does work, but you have to be quick on the draw when you input the code from Sync to the Droid.  You only get about 20 seconds to enter the pairing code before the Droid sees it as a failed pairing.

Not a big deal, but it can lead you to believe that the pairing simply won't work if you don't know about the timeout and are a little too slow with the input.

0 Likes
Coach13

Thanks again, I will keep that in mind.  My current phone only gives about 30 sec as well so I'm pretty used to it.

0 Likes