Accessing new ringtones on Droid
cms1778

I received my old ringtones from my previous phone, but I cannot add them to my ringtones.

I also added the Ringer App, but I cannot follow the directions that it gave me to add the ringtone. It says to press "menu" when the tone is playing, but I cannot do that. When I hit "menu," nothing happens.

I would greatly appreciate any assistance.

0 Likes
Re: Accessing new ringtones on Droid
fenderman15

I am having the same problem.  I purchased ringtones on line with Verizon, it sent me the email with them as attachments to my Droid.  I can play them from the message, but for the life of me, I can't find out how to turn them into actual ringtones.  The 'instructions' online are less than helpful.

Verizon, please fix ASAP.

0 Likes
Ghees_Mail

oookay...so I am not the only one having this issue. YES! they need to fix this.

0 Likes
cookiemomster

Here is something to try. I have read though I can't confirm, that it is necessary to add a folder to the SD card on the phone titled media ringtones. To do this hook your phone up to your computer, select menu, select notifications, select usb connected, then mount. Go to computer and you will be able to open and view your SD card and add the folder. I don't personally have any ringtones to add to test this, but it sounds like it might be worth a try.

0 Likes
solar3
Enthusiast - Level 3

well, the way I do it on my Droid is to first, connect the droid to my PC, then browse to the SD card and make a folder called "sounds". it can be whatever you want though, it doesnt have to be called sounds. Then with the droid disconnected from the pc, go to MUSIC, then click on ARTIST, the look for the folder you made, mine is under UNKNOWN for the artist name and the album name is SOUNDS, then find the sound or song you want for a ringtone and do a PRESS and HOLD. a menu will pop up and it should have the SET AS RINGTONE option. There may be another option, but this phone is still new to me and this is the only way i;ve figured out so far.

0 Likes
fenderman15

Sure would be nice if someone from Verizon would weigh in here and give us the real scoop ON HOW TO ACTUALLY USE THE RINGTONE I JUST PAID FOR!!!!!

The online help does not address the matter, and I dobut hooking up the phone to a computer, unmounting it, and navigating through the SD card on directories made by the end user is really the way to something as basic as use a ringtone emailed from Verizon's own website. 

Thanks to the responses that have suggested that, at least they have offered a soultion, rather than the cricket-chirping silence from Verizon on this.

0 Likes
CRudis01

If you already have music files you'd like to use for ringtones, alarms, notifications, etc.  Connect your device to your PC, on the device, got to USB, then mount the SD card.  Now on the root of SD card create the following folders by type, they are as follows:

Notifications: media/audio/notifications

Ringtones: media/audio/ringtones

Alarms: media/audio/alarms

After you unmount the card and disconnect, when the phone refreshes all your ringtones, alarms, notifications, etc. will show in the affiliated display.

0 Likes
Caruda
Enthusiast - Level 1

Now, if I am understanding him right,  he is saying that he downloaded a ringtong from the My Verizon store.  When you download ringtones from that store, it is sent to you on your phone via text message.  I have a Motorola Droid and I figured out how to get the file from there.  It's actually very simple, but not obvious at all.  Essentially, the text message comes from verizon and shows that you have an attachment with that message.  However, when you go in the message, you can touch the large play button and listen to it, but there is no option to record it or save it as a ringtone.   The solution is this:  Press and Hold your finger on the TEXT BODY below the large Play Button.  That will then give you the menu option to Save as Ringtone.  After that, it's just a matter of going into your ringtone settings and setting it as your ringtone.  To be honest,  it's the least obvious solution of all the options I attempted,  but that's how you do it.  Cheers.

wampaku

ok i am a little lost on how to put those folders in the sd card. it has to be a bit more than adding a new folder. how do i input those folders in the root? i am just a little lost after getting it mounted and seeing the card. HELP?

0 Likes
Caruda
Enthusiast - Level 1

Notifications: media/audio/notifications

Ringtones: media/audio/ringtones

Alarms: media/audio/alarms

When he says this, he means that in the main root of the SD card (which is the initial folder you are in when you first open the SD card, you create a folder called Media.  So in the root, make a folder and call it Media.  Then, go into the newly created folder and make another one called Audio.  Now finally, go into the Audio folder you just made and create 3 separate folders: Notifications, Ringtones, and Alarms.  Obviously, that means whenever you get ringtons, alarms, or notification sounds,  put them in the appropriate folder.  Droid is smart enough to figure it out.  Simple as that.

0 Likes