Highlighted

Samsung Gear S2 3G firmware update

Novice

I purchased a Samsung Gear S2 smartwatch and have yet to receive the latest firmware update.  I have been told that there are problems on Verizon's end which are being "worked out".   Can someone please verify that this is a known issue and comment on when the firmware will be released.  I was hoping that since Verizon no longer subsidizes devices, they would be much more expedient in releasing updates instead of having to wait for months.

Labels (1)
1 Solution

Correct Answers
Highlighted

Re: Samsung Gear S2 3G firmware update

Sr. Leader

jloberg1 wrote:

I haven't used the 3G features yet and am doubtful I will because if Verizon can't release the updates I may eBay this and get a non-Verizon one.

Disappointing that what I thought was superior is turning out to be inferior...

It isn't Verizon, it is Samsung. Samsung's website states that some of the features in the most recent update are ONLY available on the bluetooth model. They are not available on ANY carrier branded/4G/3G models. It is impossible for Verizon to release an update which is not given to them from Samsung.

As you can see on Samsung's website linked below, the supported devices do not include the Verizon 3G model, SM-R735.

Samsung Pay on Gear S2 Beta

Since THIS feature was not included in updates pushed to carrier branded devices, it is not unthinkable that other features were ALSO not included.Smiley Happy

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Highlighted

I'd like to know this, also. The 3G is so very far behind the non 3G. I "upgraded" to the 3G from a non 3G and feel like I went backwards.

Highlighted

Novice

No response from Verizon which is not surprising.  Don't want to entirely blame Verizon, but I have been told Verizon is holding up the firmware update. This is getting old as they are doing this with the Samsung Galaxy S6 Android M as well. Nothing will change unless people get the word out.

Highlighted

Exactly. I have the Samsung Galaxy S6 and still waiting for Marshmallow. It's ridiculous. If I had better reception in my area (even Verizon sucks), I'd switch to a lower-priced carrier with a better data plan. C'mon Verizon!

0 Likes
Highlighted

Community Manager
Community Manager

I apologize for any delay in our response, JRLttleJr. I understand your anticipation for new software updates on your device. While we do not have any information on when a software update will be available for any device, please be assured that we’ll push software updates when ready.

AntonioC_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the "Correct Answer" button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
Highlighted

So still no update for you guys correct?

0 Likes
Highlighted

Correct...not a [Removed] thing (*ahem* Verizon!).

Profanity removed as required by the Verizon Wireless Terms of Service

Message edited by Verizon Moderator

0 Likes
Highlighted

Sr. Leader

My Gear S2 has the latest software. What are you hoping to get?

Gear S2 Classic software update

Gear S2 software update

Regardless what the website says at those 2 links, Samsung says the 3G version of the Gear S2 is NOT currently compatible with Samsung Pay. That is only compatible with the bluetooth version, and I assume you do not need that update from Verizon but directly from Samsung.

Samsung Pay on Gear S2 Beta

0 Likes
Highlighted

Novice

It's completely ridiculous! The update's been out for two months now!

What's Verizon doing with it? The developers at Samsung come up with new features and fix some bugs, but we're not allowed to have them. Makes no sense.

Highlighted

Novice

I called customer service.

They were clueless.

The guy kept telling me about the update from 2 weeks ago.

He said they roll it out slowly.

I told him I had that update already.

I told him that I meant the one from July.

He also said, "well, it says right here that you should have Samsung pay on your watch now"

I told him I didn't. He was obviously just reading the update page.

He had absolutely no idea about any update.

Wish I could have sent him this:

Samsung Gear S2 update brings new watch faces, widgets, autiomatic sleep tracking, and more