Highlighted

Novatel USB730L shuts down / reboots

We have one of these connected to a PepWave modem, providing internet connectivity to our household. My wife and I both work from home, with VPNs to our respective employers.

We used to have a Pantech UML295. It was reliable but not very fast; with COVID, we're doing more Zoom calls and needed more bandwidth. We moved to the newer, faster Novatel.

When it works, I can get about 21 Mb down and 7 up, which is quite nice. But ... it keeps dropping.

It rarely runs for an hour at a time with out dropping the connection, sometimes as often as every 10 - 15 minutes. When this means my connection to work drops ... that's a pain.

When it's working, I can point a web browser to 192.168.1.1 and get a web page from the actual device. When the router sees it as "down," that IP address doesn't work, which leads me to believe it's not just that the signal dropped, it's that the entire device is down.

Settings : Software Update shows software version:

1L
L2.58.8 M9x40FRN-3.41.1 1 [2017-05-10 23:42:00]

I checked to see if there were any updates. There were none. So I have to believe this thing is as up-to-date as it can get.

Is there something I should look for in the logs?

Is there some power requirement of which I'm not aware? I'm pretty sure the router has no problem providing the usual 5 VDC at up to 500 mA; dunno if it goes higher. I've tried connecting through my powered USB hub (able to deliver more than 2 A) but that doesn't seem to affect it.

0 Likes
Highlighted

Re: Novatel USB730L shuts down / reboots

Customer Support

Meower68, we appreciate the helpful information you provided. I see that we answered your previous post. Did you follow the steps we provided? https://community.verizonwireless.com/t5/Additional-Products-General/Global-Modem-USB730L-constantly...

-JacobG_VZW

0 Likes
Highlighted

I did as was suggested. It did not change the behavior of the device.

It works for a while, then "disappears," then restarts, then works for a while. It's not uncommon to have it cycle 10 times during business hours, when my wife and I are trying to work.

0 Likes
Highlighted

Customer Support

Thank you for taking the time to take those steps, Meower68. We'd love to take a closer look at your device. Please send us a private message to better assist.

UbaldoJ_VZW
0 Likes