Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Get it fast with In-store & curbside pickup or same day delivery.

Linux VPN won't connect through 4GLTE

NWProgrammer

Windows machines can connect VPN connections out, but Linux machines can't. They worked before, using a different ISP, so it's not the machine settings, something about Verizon or the 4GLTE is blocking the connection. Anyone else seen this problem or found a solution. Guess I'll have to go back to a different ISP if this can't get solved because I work from my Linux machines and need my VPN connections to make a connection out.

I tried DMZ'ing a workstation to see if something about the 4GLTE firewall was blocking it, but no go. I'm guessing it's something about the way Verizon encapsulates packets that's not liking the VPN packets, but can't find any helpful info on their site, and it's puzzling why a Windows laptop connected wifi will make VPN connections, but a wired Linux box won't. Using Cisco client on the Windows machine and vpnc on the Linux box, so the protocols should be the same.

To be clear, I'm simply trying to connect an internal vpn client to an external vpn server, and my connection to the Internet is through the 4GLTE router.

Labels (1)
0 Likes

Re: Linux VPN won't connect through 4GLTE

vzw_customer_support
Customer Support

We want to get you connected once again, NWProgrammer. What 4G LTE router are you using specifically? We would like to learn more about the specific device that is in use as we can advise of how to change the internal settings which will prove beneficial in the current situation. Thanks in advance.

ChrisM_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes

NWProgrammer

I've attached a screen capture of the info on the router I'm using. It is

a model T1114, and the version info can be seen in the pic.

Also, I forgot to mention in the original question that I do have the VPN

passthrough option enabled in the router settings, but I think that's

default anyway.

0 Likes

vzw_customer_support
Customer Support

Are you using a public address, NWProgrammer?  Its worth mentioned that port forwarding features on your Jetpack will not do you any good as long as you are using the NATs public IP. Even if you setup a VPN, the port forwarding options on your Jetpack are not going to be honored. However, you can configure most VPNs to allow port forwarding instead which is the only real work around. You should be good by reconfiguring your VPN.

AllisonC_VZW
Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes