Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Get it fast with In-store & curbside pickup or same day delivery.
Galaxy Active 2, LTE, numbershare
GPW1

I recently got a Galaxy Active 2 with LTE and set up with Verizon using numbershare. I am having an issue where if I use the LTE auto option, which seems to be recommended to avoid battery drain, every time it transitions from Bluetooth to LTE, I all the sudden cannot receive calls on EITHER my phone or my watch - the caller gets a message that a vmail mailbox has not been set up for this line (I do have vmail set up for my phone). This issue can only be resolved by restarting the watch. It does seem that I can also leave LTE off completely and thing work, aside from the obvious issue that I can't use the watch through LTE. It also appears that if I leave the watch in LTE on always mode, it seems to work. I understand this setting is not ideal because of batter drain. As far as I can tell there is an issue with how the LTE auto setting transitions. In the transition something fails to update either on the phone side or the network side. Has anyone had this issue and found a solution?  

1 Solution

Correct Answers
Re: Galaxy Active 2, LTE, numbershare
GPW1

I hate when people don't close the loop on these things. Here is how things worked out....

I spent hours working with Verizon. They didn't have a fix, nor could they isolate the issue. There is something broken with the Verizon numbershare integration and the Galaxy Active 2. While I didn't find a numbershare solution, I did find a tolerable work around after giving up on numbershare - the explanation is a bit long, but the actual solution is relatively simple: 

Steps:

(1) I had verizon disconnect numbershare and set my watch up as a standalone line. The watch works just fine this way (the issues were clearly numbershare related). Obviously it is operating on a different phone number than my phone - but this can be partially addressed.

(2) Set up conditional call forwarding from the phone to the watch - basically the call will eventually transfer to the watch if you don't pick up on the phone (goes to watch instead of voicemail).

(3) Connect Google voice vmail to the watch (I had already used for my phone). So basically Google voicemail is the vmail for the watch. This is also done through conditional call forwarding, though you need to register the watch number with Google Voice.  

(4) You will also want the watch set to LTE auto so that it connects to LTE only when not connected to bluetooth (this is better for battery life anyway). 

Functional result: 

SMS: The good news is the way messaging works, there is essentially no difference in how the watch operates without numbershare as does when it is setup with numbershare. You do need a remote connnection to your phone for sms to come from your phone's number, but my understanding is that is true with numbershare as well.

Incoming calls: If the watch is connected to the phone via bluetooth (and no LTE since I have LTE auto set), the incoming call shows up on the phone and the watch via bluetooth as it normally would. If I don't pick up, the call goes straight to Google Voice voicemail. Because the independent watch number does not receive calls when there is no LTE, the call basically goes straight to Google voice vmail. If I am away from my phone with just the watch on and it is connected to LTE, then if someone calls my phone it will eventually start ringing on my watch. The phone will ring first, but unanswered it goes to the watch line. It will only go to voicemail if I don't answer my watch. The key difference vs numbershare is that it is sequential (phone first then watch) rather than simultaneous (phone and watch receiving at same time). 

Outgoing calls: When the watch is connected to phone via bluetooth (no LTE), it dials through the phone as it normally would. If there is no bluetooth connection, then you can dial from the watch, but it will show up with the watch number rather than you phone number. This is obviously not ideal.  

All in all, the only differences are that incoming calls are sequential rather than simultaneous when the watch is on LTE, and you can only dial out from the watch number on LTE. Not a perfect solution, but most of the functionality is there without all the problems with numbershare. 

I do hope Samsung and Verizon figure out the numbershare issue. There is obviously something broken in the integration. What most likely needs to happen is that the watch should operate only as a data only connection, and Verizon needs to allow Samsungs "share calls and texts feature".  

View solution in original post

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Support

Have you synced the watch with the device, excluding activating the device with us? TaylorH_VZW

0 Likes
GPW1

Not sure what you mean - to activate with you I had to go through the app. To do that I had to first sync the watch with my phone. Most of the time the watch and phone are connected via Bluetooth. Is that what you mean?  

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Support

Yes, thank you. Do you have any bluetooth devices synced with your phone. This would include headphones, your vehicle, or etc. TaylorH_VZW

0 Likes
GPW1

I have Bluetooth earphones/headsets, etc.. Of course not connected all the time. The issue still occurs when there are no other Bluetooth connections. 

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Support

Have you been able to refresh the connection with your Bluetooth devices since this took place? JoseL_VZW

0 Likes
GPW1

Yes, there is no problem with my Bluetooth with any other devices. All my headphones work fine. There isn't an issue with the watch when only using Bluetooth. The issue is specific with how the watch switches between LTE and Bluetooth. 

0 Likes
GPW1

I don't know if this helps. The other thing that tends to happen when it switches from Bluetooth to LTE is that I get a bunch of spam sms messages ONLY on the watch (not on my phone at all), presumably sent to the number assigned to the watch. I also receive the messages my phone receives, these are in addition to those. I thought that smartwatch number was not supposed to be operational except as some means of facilitating numbershare, but there seems to be an issue with that as well.

0 Likes
GPW1

Very close to cancelling this numbershare thing and returning the watch. Today I spent 20 min where I could not receive any phone calls (and they also would not go to my vmail) and could not fix it by rebooting either the watch or the phone. Seems it was a different version of the same issue. Rather than failure happening when switching between bluetooth and LTE, it happened because I jumped directly from LTE always on to LTE always off. As far as I can tell the reason was something like this - If the watch is in auto LTE and currently not connected, then I can turn off LTE no problem. If the watch is connected to LTE on always on, and I switch directly to always off, then my call are block completely again, as per the earlier issue except rebooting phone and watch does not help. I have to turn on LTE auto on the watch, then make sure I am currently connected by bluetooth not LTE, then turn off LTE completely. There is something really broken with the numbershare system. The is some sort of network switch that needs to be turned on or off when the watch it turning LTE on or off, and in many of these transitions the network switch fails to turn correctly. When this  "switch" fails to turn, my calls cannot be received and do not go to vmail.   

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Support

GPW1, I understand that this has been a long process to have to endure for the connection on your Galaxy Active 2 and the device. Let's go ahead and take a closer look into this together. Please send us a Private Note for better assistance. JoseL_VZW

0 Likes