Highlighted

Does Jetpack function as a Proxy Server?

Does the Jetpack function as a proxy server or can it be used with a proxy server to mask an IP address? We are conducting research and I need to protect the location of my volunteers.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct Answers
Highlighted

Re: Does Jetpack function as a Proxy Server?

Leader

Verizon Jetpacks operate behind Verizon's NAT firewall. All users will not have a publicly available IP Address by default unless you first setup a VPN, purchase a static IP from VZW or purchase a product that provides public IPs such as the LTE Internet Installed system.  The NAT breaks remote control technologies such as Remote Desktop, hosting Xbox servers, VOIP phones, Web/security cameras, home thermostat/smart devices, etc.

The NAT protects misc. connections from finding individual machines on the open internet, that is unless those machines reach out and create a connection on their own in the first place.  Once a VZW connected device makes contact with something on the web a pathway is established and communication can then freely exchange.

So depending on what you are trying to do you may not have to worry.  But if your volunteers have features automatically enabled like geotracking and whatnot, then those services will continue to be able to function.

What would be a safer bet, depending on what kind of a machine we are talking about, would be to setup a manual proxy on the device.  It could be a simple as modifying the Hosts file on a windows machine to redirect IPs from a certain segment back to the local host.  For phones and other mobile devices you might have to go through a 3rd party wireless bridge that supports the customizations you are looking for.

View solution in original post

Highlighted

Customer Support

wbexley - We certainly understand wanting to keep the location of your volunteers confidential for their protection and security. I welcome the opportunity to address your inquiry. Depending on the jetpack device, you may be able to adjust the LAN Settings and enter in desired settings for the IP address and subnet mask. I must advise however that altering the advanced settings may also impact the stability, performance, and security of the Jetpack device. Do you already have a jetpack device with us or were you inquiring about a particular one?

EbonyR_VZW
Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
Highlighted

Leader

Verizon Jetpacks operate behind Verizon's NAT firewall. All users will not have a publicly available IP Address by default unless you first setup a VPN, purchase a static IP from VZW or purchase a product that provides public IPs such as the LTE Internet Installed system.  The NAT breaks remote control technologies such as Remote Desktop, hosting Xbox servers, VOIP phones, Web/security cameras, home thermostat/smart devices, etc.

The NAT protects misc. connections from finding individual machines on the open internet, that is unless those machines reach out and create a connection on their own in the first place.  Once a VZW connected device makes contact with something on the web a pathway is established and communication can then freely exchange.

So depending on what you are trying to do you may not have to worry.  But if your volunteers have features automatically enabled like geotracking and whatnot, then those services will continue to be able to function.

What would be a safer bet, depending on what kind of a machine we are talking about, would be to setup a manual proxy on the device.  It could be a simple as modifying the Hosts file on a windows machine to redirect IPs from a certain segment back to the local host.  For phones and other mobile devices you might have to go through a 3rd party wireless bridge that supports the customizations you are looking for.

View solution in original post