Labels (1)
Tags (2)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct Answers
Highlighted

Re: FM chip activation?

Sr. Leader

You can't.  In some cases, the function is turned off in the firmware and a new one would need to be released by the manufacturer and Verizon.  In other cases, like the iPhone, the chip may have FM capabilities, but the hardware was not built with the necessary antena so Apple disabled the function.  Is this from the same NPR story that created a pseudo national emergency on this FM radio thing?

View solution in original post

Highlighted

Sr. Leader

You can't.  In some cases, the function is turned off in the firmware and a new one would need to be released by the manufacturer and Verizon.  In other cases, like the iPhone, the chip may have FM capabilities, but the hardware was not built with the necessary antena so Apple disabled the function.  Is this from the same NPR story that created a pseudo national emergency on this FM radio thing?

View solution in original post

Highlighted

Sr. Leader

You CANNOT turn on the FM in any Verizon phone were it is disabled.  I know someone who will chime in on this shortly.

0 Likes
Highlighted

Verizon only has 2 devices that are currently not retired that have the "fm radio" in the "music & audio" section of features. The HTC REMIX and Motorola MOTO E (prepaid).

I called into tech support before asking what devices had the FM RADIO in the features.

0 Likes
Highlighted

Leader

Most likely referring to the recent NPR story.

0 Likes
Highlighted

This (to me) is a very interesting feature & would love for it to be a possibility. Why not have the ability to use it if it is there.

Highlighted

Sr. Leader

Licensing costs and people unwilling to pay for it. The manufacturer charges for it.

Highlighted

The chip IS in most phones and available for use. Whether there is a fee to enable or not is irrelevant. If it is in my phone then it should be available to me as an option at the very least.

The idea is to be able to access radio stations (even in emergency situations) thru the airwaves, not through the cellular network. That way if verizon went down you could still access the world.

There's definitely some spin going on in this thread....

0 Likes
Highlighted

Sr. Leader

Then explain why when the correct files and the kernel are modified that a lot of devices don't work? It doesn't work like you think it works. There's plenty of information for hardware and software on XDA that disagrees with you.

Highlighted

Sr. Leader

Just like a car radio? A actual radio? I mean here in Hawaii for example there is no way you will rely on a cell phone even for fm radio. The battery alone is worth more with a charge than to use it as a radio. A $10 hand crank water proof radio has greater value.