Highlighted

Why don't my Qi Chargers always work?

PittDoctorG

I have the wireless charging stand from Verizon and the long skinny plug that sticks into the tilted charger appears to have cracked. Now it has a diagonal slice that appears to have fallen off, and now has a very sharp and dangerous point. It will not always charge and you have to jiggle it for making good contact.

I'd hate to replace the entire unit. Does anyone know if a new charging cable is available, or if the long skinny plug has a name so I can buy a new one and replace the end? It would be pretty steep to pay another $60 because of a defective ten cent plug.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct Answers

Re: Verizon Qi Charger plug problem

7e18n1

That's a (female) barrel connector.  Find a precision caliper and measure the metric diameter and length of the metal connector. Measure the male pin diameter in the charging stand too. Once you know the size you can Google 0.7x3mm barrel connector to find the right one.

http://www.digikey.com/products/en/connectors-interconnects/barrel-power-connectors/435?k=&pkeyword=...

View solution in original post

Ann154
Expert

What is the charger model? Is it a micro USB cable or something else?

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes

PittDoctorG

It's the black one that has the red stripe all around it. Here is a URL (if allowed here): Verizon Qi Wireless Charging Stand - Verizon Wireless

0 Likes

Ann154
Expert

You didn't answer my other question.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes

PittDoctorG

No, I could replace the micro-USB. It is (or was) a proprietary very thin, round DC plug. Evidently it's delicate too. You can see it in this eBay listing if you zoom in. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Verizon-Charger-VZW3COIL-WC-Used-135886-1-/272484694945?hash=item3f715a7ba1

0 Likes

7e18n1

That's a (female) barrel connector.  Find a precision caliper and measure the metric diameter and length of the metal connector. Measure the male pin diameter in the charging stand too. Once you know the size you can Google 0.7x3mm barrel connector to find the right one.

http://www.digikey.com/products/en/connectors-interconnects/barrel-power-connectors/435?k=&pkeyword=...

View solution in original post

PittDoctorG

Dear 7e18n1:

Thanks so much! It is amazingly helpful to know what the actual connector is called. I just ordered a cheap $7 caliper on Amazon and will measure and order the replacement barrel connector. I assume I have to be mindful about the polarity and hope I don't destroy the unit by wiring it incorrectly.

0 Likes

7e18n1

You're welcome!    YES, polarity is an issue!

0 Likes