Re: When will the LTE version of the Galaxy Watch be available?
Kohld
Contributor - Level 1

I for one, would like to see Verizon investigated for collusion with Apple to keep competitor products out of the marketplace. Or is it a coincidence that if you select Shop -> Accessories -> Smart Watches it takes you to the Apple subsite and lists only their products?

I know it is better to blame simple incompetence, as opposed to ill intent, but Verizon just seems too good at incompetence some days.

0 Likes
shmpl
Enthusiast - Level 1

The delay with Verizon and other carriers getting the Galaxy watch is no different then when Apple originally allowed ATT an exclusive promotion period with the iPhone.  T-Mobile has an exclusive introduction period with the Galaxy Watch.  That is why it is not available with other carriers.  Obviously the contract for this promotion period includes not releasing the date when other carriers will have the watch.  Very smart on the part of T-Mobile.  They are hoping that everyone who is impatient will switch carriers.  If your use of your phone does not depend on network strength nationally and globally, then switching may be an option.  Those of us who travel know better.

Blackhawk007

Would also love to hear the release date.

And for the record. I'm standing at the mall with my Frontier watch, turned off my phone, and just called my girlfriends phone. Seems to me like it makes stand alone calls. I use it to make calls all the time when I go to the pool and leave my phone in my hotel rooms.

0 Likes
gvanmeter81
Enthusiast - Level 2

Why does everyone keep bringing up the Gear S3, when we're talking about

the Galaxy Watch?

On Sun, Sep 16, 2018, 6:52 PM Blackhawk007 <forums@verizonwireless.com>

0 Likes
Flkiteboarder
Enthusiast - Level 1

A friend, who works for Verizon says it will be available Oct 29th.

0 Likes
Blackhawk007

We are all waiting for the LTE version, and false claims are being made about the existing LTE watch. This is making people believe these claims also effect the upcoming version.

I'm with ya. Just wanted to share that my current experience differs from the claims being made. So based off these personal experiences, I expect the new version to act the same way. I hope it does.

0 Likes
gvanmeter81
Enthusiast - Level 2

I know that it for sure has to be tied to a voice plan for LTE. I bought

the watch with LTE on T-Mobile. However, it wouldn't work as a standalone

because I didn't have a T-Mobile smartphone/voice plan. It wouldn't work

with just a plan for the watch. I returned it and am left waiting on

Verizon.

On Mon, Sep 17, 2018, 8:22 AM Blackhawk007 <forums@verizonwireless.com>

0 Likes
sccarlin
Contributor - Level 1

If you buy a Galaxy Watch on T-Mobile, it will work with your VZW phone through the Galaxy Wear app. When it is connected by BT to your phone, the app uses the BT link to exchange messages and notifications between the watch and phone.  When the BT connection is broken and the Watch is connected to the internet via its cellular connection, notifications and messages are transmitted between the watch and phone via the Galaxy Wear app on the phone and Samsung servers.  The app sends and receives notifications and messages to and from the servers, which send them on to, and receive them from the Watch, and vice versa.  As a result, text messages to your phone will appear on your Watch and can be replied to as if coming from your phone because they will be sent from the phone when it receives them from the Samsung servers.  This only works IF the phone is on and connected to the internet.  If it is not, the Watch will not receive messages or notifications from the phone. and calls and messa

I did exactly this with an S3 Frontier on T-Mobile and a Galaxy S on VZW.  The only hitch is that the T-mobile data connection is limited to 3g data speed.  T-Mobile uses the S3 LTE radio if you also have a T-Mobile phone line to connect the Watch to.  I switched to VZW when the S3 finally came out to take advantage of Numbershare, which lets you make and receive phone calls (and only phone calls, not messages or notifications) on the Watch to the phone's umber even if the phone is off.

I hope the S3 does come out by October 29, as someone is now claiming, or very soon.  I don't know about others' experience, but the S3 was awesome until the Tizen 3.0 update.  That has killed both battery life and performance on my S3. The lag is

0 Likes
gvanmeter81
Enthusiast - Level 2

No, It won't work. Not with the Galaxy Watch. Already tried for 3 days.

Read the fine print on the Shop Samsung app. Verified by Tmobile support.

0 Likes
vchat
Enthusiast - Level 3

I would only believe that release date if I see it in writing or an advertisement.  When the S3 was released false release dates for Verizon was given over and over again by their sales people.

0 Likes