Highlighted

Re: When will Samsung Gear S3 be launched with Verizon?

Well, I've had the T-Mobile S3 Frontier Lte for 10 days now, with only 10 days left to return it before tied to their contract.  It was my intention to test the watch with T-mobile for 20 days to decide whether or not I liked it(my first smartwatch).  In the meantime, that would give Verizon  time  to provide details about the release date, its pricing and other options, but so far they haven't told us anything concrete, only hearsay.  I am afraid to wait for their release being that it might just be the Bluetooth version as someone has suggested, which I don't want.  So far the T-Mobile Frontier Lte is working well, but it would be nice to pay $5 per month instead of the $15(provided you sign up for auto-pay).  AT&T  is too expensive, they want a  $40 monthly recurring  fee for the standalone watch($30 for 1G of data and $10 device access charge).  Other than keeping my T-Mobile smartwatch, my only other option is to return the T-Mobile smartwatch and just wait on Verizon.  If Verizon only offer the Bluetooth models then I could always re-order from T-mobile..  I like the T-Mobile options because you  don't have to pay for the watch in one lump sum.  You can pay in  monthly payments interest free for up to 24 months or you can pay it off when you want and just walk away with the watch without a contract.  Now if Verizon could confirm it would provide those same options, I would be willing to wait.  Also, if I return the watch to T-Mobile, they may charge me a $50 or $75 restocking fee.  So my decision will be based on  concrete information from Verizon in the next 10 days.

0 Likes
Highlighted

It's a testimony to a product that it's being followed with 36 pages of comments and it isn't even available through the vendor that hosts the page.  I pay for two cellphones, an iPad, a "wireless" home number, and my Gear S watch.  I bought the Gear S watch at a Verizon store in Chicago a couple of years ago - right before Christmas.  It seemed like a natural when the ads for the new Gear S3 Frontier started popping up that I would upgrade my Galaxy Note 4 and Gear S watch.  I did upgrade the phone to an Edge, narrowly missing the Note 7 debacle.  But I'd have to say it's a disappointment realizing that the Gear S3 Frontier is available in a "lesser configuration" (bluetooth) or through another carrier.  I'm really happy with Verizon, in general.  Can't beat their coverage where I live, work and travel so I'm not going to have a meltdown and switch carriers. 

The functionality of the Gear S watch surprised me.  It is more discreet to glance at your watch to see who's e-mailed you than to fixate on a smartphone.  If the Gear S Frontier comes out in a Verizon cellular configuration, I'll buy one without hesitation.  Otherwise, I'll probably wait until the next best thing comes out.

Highlighted

Novice

The lack of posts recently either mean the holidays are consuming our distractions or everyone has given up all hope.  I was in a store last night and the guy had no idea about the S3 and was surprised that others were already selling them. Merry Christmas everyone!

0 Likes
Highlighted

I have given up not even worth posting we are not getting anywhere...I bought the tmobile version which by the way...they are upgrading their towers nationwide to be completed Jan 2017.. will vastly improve coverage...no where near verizon I would think  but better than nothing. I imagine when or if Verizon releases watch it will be full price up front and 5 or 10 dollars a month with data cap. Smiley Sad The spotify app on tmobile with unlimited data very nice works perfect. 

0 Likes
Highlighted

I've been laying low. Nothing to comment on until this morning when I noticed this link

http://www.samsung.com/us/support/owners/product/gear-s3-frontier-verizon

It's interesting to note that certain areas of the Samsung website have bits and pieces of information pertaining to the verizon gear s3 frontier. Most of the info does not  cross link to other areas in the site. This seems to indicate that it is a work in progress. In another section of Samsung.com, I noticed under Gear s3 Frontier.....2 more blank postings that indicated "gears3 frontier" and "gear s3 classic". This is exactly the syntax found. Notice it didn't say Gear s3 Frontier but rather gears3 Fontier. Also, each of these listings cannot be clicked onto. There is no info behind them. It appears as though these two listings are holding a place for new products. Could it be for verizon and sprint? You have to hunt to find this listing just mentioned but the link I gave you should help.

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to all. I'm sure we will have an answer to the gear s3 frontier verizon mystery in the coming next couple of weeks. Cheers

0 Likes
Highlighted

I had the chance to speak with a Samsung rep this past week who had conferred with his corporate headquarters in South Korea prior to our call. Here's the status of the S3 Frontier LTE on the Verizon network:

1. Yes, the S3 is coming to the Verizon network.

2. T-Mobile and ATT were able to get an earlier start, given the nature of their GSM-based networks. No, I don't know why the GSM networks would be an easier deployment.

3. Verizon's network is different (not GSM) and will require extensive testing by Verizon engineers before certification.

4. For reasons not shared with me, the certification testing has not yet started, but will start soon (in the next week or two.

5. Also for reasons not shared with me, the certification testing will not be complete for several months. Originally, I was told by a Verizon person that the work would be done by mid-1Q 2017. The Samsung guy said it looks more like the end of March or the first week of April at the absolute latest.

Don't shoot the messenger. I am only telling you what I heard from a well-placed source. I may eventually go with the Verizon version, but could do my own testing with one of the currently-working networks in the meantime. I need to find that the watch is useful, especially since I'll be using the iOS beta Gear Manager, before committing to a monthly contract. I suspect it will be, but I will want to know for certain.

Highlighted

Novice

That all sounds reasonable and likely right.  The unexplained thing is that Verizon had both the Gear S and Gear S2 3g, so it and Samsung have plenty of experience with Verizon's CDMA-based 3g network.  Too bad, by the time the S3 arrives at VZW, the AW 2.0 LTE watches will be out. But I expect they will have lots of performance and battery life issues. Tizen is WY more battery efficient than AW or Watch OS. I will probably go ahead and take the plunge on the T-Mobile S3. It is only $10 a month more with no contract, and I suspect that if VZW carries the S3 frontier, it will charge $50 or $100 more than other networks, like it is still doing with the Urbane 2d Edition LTE ($499 full retail).  Since I just dropped my tablet LTE access because of repeated connection problems, that reduction of $10 a month will make it a wash. If something else awesome comes out, I can stop the T-Mobile service and sell the S3.

But given that VZW is even worse on updates, I really don't see keeping a watch on it. VZW Gear S2 3g owners still don't have Blue Pack 1 updates, much less the Blue Pack 2 updates out today for S2 3g owners on other US carriers,  or the Spotify app. People wonder why smartwatches may be dying? VZW is putting the knife in deep with delayed availability, ridiculous pricing and even worse update delays.

Highlighted

If the release date on earlier post is right then it really makes no sense to purchase it. The S4 is already rumored to come out in 2017 and is suppose to be thinner and 20% more efficient. I would like to already have S3 but I'm not going to purchase it and then 6 months later have a better version come out.

Highlighted

Interesting, this is the first I've heard of the S4. I tend to agree with your logic but I'd like to find out more about both the watch and the release timing. Verizon is so slow that I doubt that the S4 could be released quickly any more than the S3.

0 Likes
Highlighted

Novice

Mid October 2016 it was released the s4 is going to have Exynos 7 dual 7270 processor to make it slimer and more efficient.  No date has be released for the s4 but end of the year would be a good guess

0 Likes