Highlighted

Re: When will Samsung Gear S3 be launched with Verizon?

Speaking of the TM route....

Why do you need to pay a $20 "SIM kit fee" when there is no SIM in this watch?

The watch uses an permanently installed eSIM not a removable SIM card.

Still at $10 more/month than Verizon (when/if they get it), is double my current S2 3G price.

BUT I like having the option of using a different carrier if a Verizon tower goes down is appealing.

Thanks for the info.

0 Likes
Highlighted

Agree.....

It's really an activation fee rather than a "sim starter" according to the guy a t-mobile which does make more sense.

That being said... I did get a card with a sim chip.  Guess if I ever need one.....LOL

0 Likes
Highlighted

Well it has to be coming sometime... Samsung has a page up for it now...

http://www.samsung.com/us/support/owners/product/SM-R765VDAAVZW

Screen Shot 2016-12-11 at 15.13.34.png

Highlighted

Novice

Thank you. This development is provisionally encouraging.

0 Likes
Highlighted

Unfortunately that support page has been up for some time now.... Smiley Sad

Highlighted

Novice

Final battery life update. As of 6:23 pm, the battery finally died. So, the, T-Mobile Frontier LTE in northern Virginia made it 84 hours with normal to moderately heavier use in both BT and standalone mode. I took it off the charger this past Thursday at 6:15 am, muted notifications between 10:15 and 10:30 pm each night, got up at 6:15-6:30 am each day and it finally gave out at 6:23 pm tonight. That is with calls,  notifications,  messaging, responses, Samsung Pay, Gear Navigator Standalone for 20+ minutes (on 3 of the 4 days).

If VZW ever does release it, not sure if the battery life will be near as good, but, given this performance, get this watch. AT&T, here I come.

0 Likes
Highlighted

Anyone with TM having issues connecting to network in stand alone mode?? I keep getting "unexpected network response" on watch??

0 Likes
Highlighted

While we're still waiting... can someone explain how Verizon is currently handling phone calls using cellular connected stand-alone smartwatches like the S2 3G and the LG Urbane 2 LTE?

I keep seeing reviews of how well AT&T's NumberSync works. And I've seen posts saying the hopes are that Verizon is working on something similar. So I'm just wondering how Verizon currently handles calls to stand-alone smartwatches. Of course I'm talking about when using the cellular connection on the watches, not the Bluetooth connection.

These are some of the questions I have...

• Is a separate number assigned to the watch?
  • If so, do people have to call that second number for the watch to receive a call?
  • I assume call forwarding can be used if the phone doesn't pick up the call... but what about if the phone has a dead battery? Will calls and texts to the phone still come through to the watch?
  • What about when making calls or texts from the watch? Do recipients see the second number?
  • What else makes AT&T's NumberSync feature better than how Verizon currently handles this?

I tried to get an answer from a Verizon representative on the phone, but she started by telling me the Gear S2 3G only works through Bluetooth. She actually said, "Gear S2 3G" when giving me that answer, even after taking a few minutes to research, lol. It's all about who you happen to get on the other end of the line when you call in like that. So that's why I'm asking here.

0 Likes
Highlighted

Novice

1) a separate number is assigned to the watch ;

2) no, unless the phone is not forwarding calls to the watch (an option in Gear Manager)

3) yes, if the phone is dead or off, messages an calls will not be forwarded (they will with Numbersync on AT&T if the phone is off, but not other notifications)

4)if the phone and watch are remotely connected through Gear Manager, texts will come from the watch as if from the phone. Calls made from the watch will come from the watch's number

5) the main advantage to Numbersync is that calls and messages will come to both devices, and will be made from the one number, even if the phone is dead or off

0 Likes
Highlighted

The LG Urbane 2 LTE uses the Verizon Messages app for "one number" capability similar to AT&T's number sync.  If you have never used it before, Verizon Messages, when installed on your primary phone and used for text massages, allows SMS, MMS, and voice calls to be sync'd between up to 5 more devices (like tablets and smartphones).  I, for example, use it on my Tablet to real-time sync messages, as well as make/receive phone calls from my primary number.  I use it a lot overseas to make/take calls over WiFi to/from my US Verizon #.  It uses your data service (WiFi or cellular) to sync messages and make calls (VoIP calls).  It also requires "Advanced Calling", aka VoLTE, to be enabled on your account, since it uses these features as the gateway for making calls.

Verizon made a version just for Android Wear so that it can sync with your primary number.  Your watch will still have its own number (just like a tablet), but phone/text service it typically disabled to it (like a tablet), making it a "data only" device. 

Sync'd devices DO NOT require your phone to be on to work.  You can use SMS/MMS/voice services from any supported device that has a data connection and has been setup to sync with your phone. Once your phone is turned back on, it will sync all the messages back to itself that you made while your phone was off, so each device is always up-to-date.

My *hope* is that they port Verizon Messages to Tizen to work with the Gear S3 (if it is ever launched).  Currently it is available for iOS, Android, Windows, and Mac OS 10.