Highlighted

Re: When will Samsung Gear S3 be launched with Verizon?

Novice

i personally do not think its asking too much for a release date of something other service providers have been offering for 3 weeks now.

Highlighted

Expert

There won't be any announcement on the release date until the device is ready to be sold. In other words, Samsung needs to finish getting the device to have all of the certifications and approvals from the FCC and other parties involved. This also includes the testing Verizon does to ensure that the device doesn't break the network. This testing usually doesn't occur until after or during the FCC certification phase. The FCC certification hasn't happened yet. Samsung was either lazy and didn't submit the Verizon model with the AT&T and T-Mobile models or the design schedule for Verizon model is several weeks behind the other two.

It would be worse if they announced something and almost immediately delayed the release or canceled it altogether. Situations like that have happened. The Motorola Droid Bionic completely changed design after it was announced before it was finally released. There was a smart watch an LG I think that was pulled from the shelf just before it went on sale before it was tweaked to fix a fatal flaw and eventually released months later. Then there is the whole Samsung Galaxy Note 7 debacle. Do you really want a repeat of that?

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

Highlighted

Novice

Quick update. I am in day 5 of my 14 day trial of the T-Mobile Gear S3 Frontier. Wow. Totally worth the upgrade from the S2 3g. Apps run much better and manage memory better, especially on memory heavy apps like Gear Navigator Standalone. New widgets and watchfaces are great. I finally have one with 4 complications: weather, battery, steps & heart rate monitor.  Biggest improvement is battery life. Yesterday, I put it on at 6:15 am and took it off at 10:30 pm. During the day, I used it for notifications, responses, messages, 1-2 short calls, but also over an hour of standalone usage during trips and walks, including using Samsung Pay, S-Health and Gear Navigator Standalone for a 20 minute trip. After all that, I had 79% at 10:30 pm. I muted notifications for sleep and left it off the charger overnight. At 6:15 this morning, I had 75%. So, 24 hours of normal to moderately heavy usage used only 25%. I keep BT, NFC and GPS always on, and wifi and Always-On display off (I don't think it is worth battery life to have it on while I am Not looking at it).

Despite the T-Mobile coverage issues and $10 extra costs over VZW's wearable charge, it will be hard to do turn this back in. But, with Numbersync, better GSM global use and its near VZW coverage, moving over to AT&T is looking really likely.

Highlighted

Of course not.  Specially when switching is such a difficult decision given long term contracts and different service patterns across the country.  Knowing would allow people to make informed decisions.  It makes you wonder if the expected term is so long that they know what the customers would do if we knew.

0 Likes
Highlighted

Novice

Day 2 battery test update. As of 6:15 am today, after 48 hours since being put on the charger, and having another day of moderate to medium heavy use, I have 46% battery left. Clearly this will make it for 3+ full days. Not sure it will make it to 96 hours, but it may make it to late tomorrow night.

Highlighted

Great solution for getting the device to work while maintaining you phone with V. 

For what is worth, I went with the AT&T option on Nov. 18.  I thought I would probably regret it since V would offer it within days...that didn't happen.  The more time passes, the more I feel it was a great decision at the time.

Regarding your inquiry,

Numbersync - This is the way the LTE watches should work.  I don't know why the other carriers don't offer something similar.  I had a GS2 for a year with V and didn't even know this was available with other carriers or that it was possible.  It is awesome.

Coverage - I can't tell what the phone/data coverage is everywhere, but where I use it it's similar to that of Verizon.  But for some reason, the phone's actual data speed is more than twice that of Verizon according to SpeedTest app (Vmax=12mbps, AT&Tmax=24mbps).  What is really impressive is that while traveling (I only tested in Mexico) the speed is much faster than in US (AT&TMEXmax=42mbps)...all those are a plus.  The watch itself works flawlessly while traveling as well.

I used to have Sprint and the coverage was awful, then Verizon for about 10 years.  I still have about 6 lines with V,  I never used T-mobile so I wouldn't know if better or worse.

My experience with Battery, Apps, and all functions is same as yours.  Very impressive development by Samsung.  I have Samsung Pay installed, but I haven't used it yet... The watchface options are great, but I still stay with the stock due to the Always-On mode version.  I love the look, most don't even know it's a smartwatch and are often surprised !  Always-On mode uses less battery than you think, I still use only about 35% per day or 50% if golfing with it (Golf Navi Global).

I hope my $0.02 helps.

0 Likes

Novice

Sounds great. I am going to start checking AT&T promotions about moving our whole family over. We finish VZW device payments in April, but if the incentives are right, I will make the move now. Really glad to hear about Golf Navi. When I use it on my VZW Gear S2 3g, it kills the battery in less than 9 holes, and that is with me turning off the app while waiting to hit or at tee boxes. Also glad to hear that Numbersync is not a battery hog. The initial reports I read after AT&T rolled it out complained about big battery drain issues. Not surprised about the better operation in Mexico. With the AT&T devices being GSM based, coverage and performance should be superior pretty much everywhere else in the world. Enjoy!

Highlighted

Novice

i honestly think i am still going to go with t mobile even if verizon dose release it between now and i wen i have the money to put towards the gear s3 just for that fact of the payment plan t mobile offers.  350$ is going to be a lot to shell out in one shot.  i have to prepay 150$ of the watch though t mobile so my monthly payments will be around 30$ or less with service which i am more than happy paying 

0 Likes
Highlighted

Well, since the possibility of never seeing this watch on Verizon still exists I pulled the trigger and went to T-Mobile.  $400 for the watch and the previously described $16ish/month for service ($20 activation/SIM fee).  I kind of like the idea of another network based device just in case I cannot get Verizon reception.  Expect delivery next week!

0 Likes
Highlighted

Novice

After a full 73 hours of normal to moderately heavy use, I hit 15% battery level a few minutes ago. Wow. Samsung finally cracked having a fully featured fully connected smartwatch with multi-day battery life. Get this watch. AT&T, here I come.

0 Likes