Highlighted

Re: When will Samsung Gear S3 be launched with Verizon?

I agree that this is an unfortunate issue...Samsung/Verizon... both are held somewhat in contempt with me right now. 

Just an FYI... I purchased the Bluetooth classic version with the plan to wait for the "possible" VZW Frontier LTE version sometime between late December and never.  I have an LG V20 and VZW.  While I can get messages to the watch from my phone I cannot ANSWER FROM the watch.  The Samsung support page has the standard "may vary by wireless service provider and your mobile device" disclaimer of course.  I contacted a Sammy rep who told me that there is no message app for the classic and that I cannot answer texts from the watch as such.  Now if I had a Samsung phone (you mean like my Note 7...?) the messages would work....

...SO amazon will be getting a gift in the mail soon and I will be getting my $ back.

Somewhere there is a pooch and either VZW and/or Samsung are doing bad things to it....

Highlighted

Novice

RAYGRE25​, if you haven't installed Android Wear on your LG, try that. The reply functionality for non-Samsung apps seems to be dependent on the installation of that service. I've read elsewhere that this enabled the ability to reply for a number of notification types with the Gear S3 and non-Samsung phones.

0 Likes
Highlighted

Novice

I looked for a Verizon-reveal of the LTE-enabled Frontier for a week leading up to the watch's release on November 18th. I hedged my bet in ordering a non-LTE Frontier from Samsung where I saw my order languish for nearly three weeks. Surprise!; the S3 Bluetooth Frontier showed up at my door with three hours notice. I 'scolded' Samsung on their Facebook page and in return for my petulant behavior I paid full price for the Frontier. There's a lesson in there somewhere.

Cut to the chase; I have the V20 and S7 Edge. The Bluetooth Frontier integrates splendidly with the S7. So long as I don't go out of range of my phone the Frontier performs very well as an integrated smart accessory. I can still use Samsung Pay w/o the phone for up to five transactions without the phone being nearby/in range. This little bit of magic has surprised a few cashiers who hadn't seen this as yet. Once, SP failed me (I may have rushed it then gave up with customers in line behind me) and I had to ask, sheepishly, if they still accepted cash. They still do. Bottom line, I'm not feeling deprived in my not having the LTE-enabled version of this latest toy. For my needs the Bluetooth Frontier and the S7 do everything that I expected from the pairing.

0 Likes
Highlighted

Novice

@RAYGRE25, also meant to mention that you don't actually have to DO anything with Android Wear besides install it. No configuration required, you don't even have to launch it. But after you install, you should see additional actions for some of the notifications that you receive on the watch.

0 Likes

jdrumm,

Thanks for the reply and the info.  I had originally uninstalled android wear when I installed the samsung gear.  I installed AW and SG when I reset the watch and got the question if I wanted notification via AW,SG or some other unrecognized app.  I choose AW and SG.... no luck.  I cannot figure out how to get back to that so I might try another factory reset to see.

It's odd because I get the message, get the greyed out reply arrow and then the "check your phone"...ARRGH

0 Likes
Highlighted

So this time I selected AW only.  At this point it appears I get NO notifications on the watch....  I will continue to toy around with this

0 Likes
Highlighted

Novice

For what it's worth, AW has notification access disabled and SG has notification access enabled on my (Samsung) phone. But I know that I could not respond to non-Samsung app notifications (such as Hangouts and Gmail) before I installed AW.

0 Likes
Highlighted

Novice

just got off the phone with t mobile and i have to put 150$ towards the phone for the payment plans so looks like i will be going into a local t mobile this weekend and picking up a gear s3  the girl i spoke to on the phone was shocked that verizon was not offering it or giving any information.  she said that verizon is really missing out because the gear s3 is almost as popular as the apple watch right now.  shame on you verizon.  the competition  is willing to cash in on your loss...... 640$ per customer at your loss.  i dont think a date is too much to ask for especially since its now been out for 3 weeks.  i dont see many others waiting and either going with t mobile or a BT only version.  all money that verizon will lose

0 Likes
Highlighted

Instead of going the T-mobile route, I've decided to switch my accounts to AT&T and get my watch from them.  I like this better because AT&T has the number sync feature where the watch and phone can (effectively) use the same number.  Right now I'm half way through paying off my Note5 with verizon (I owe $320), AT&T will give me $650 to switch over to them with my phone trade-in.  I can get an $800 Samsung S7 Active and the watch will only cost $50 with the purchase of that phone.  So $850 minus the $330 from what's left of the $650 after I pay off my current phone equals $520, that I'm paying.  If I wait for Verizon I would buy the watch for $350 and still owe $300 on my Note 5, which would be $650.  So, I come out ahead by $130 and I have a new watch AND a new phone.  My bill will be $10 more per month at AT&T, but I'll get 1GB more of data (3GB vs 2GB), which I could use.  It looks like the watch is available for pick-up at my local store too.

0 Likes
Highlighted

If do go to at&t let ys know how it worked out for you and everything

0 Likes