Highlighted

Re: When will Samsung Gear S3 be launched with Verizon?

It has been shared thus far that one could use a T-Mobile or AT&T Gear S3 with a Verizon connected phone. For me, the monthly plan cost of a T-Mobile connected Gear S3 of $15/month was prohibitive (the $10 discount is only if you add the GS3 plan onto an existing T-Mobile phone plan).

What is new (for me) is that today, I learned that you can use T-Mobile's prepaid plan with the device. T-Mobile offers a $3/month prepaid plan which includes 30 minute of voice or 30 txt messages. Personally, it would be a rare occasion for me that I wouldn't have my cellphone with me, but I like the idea of being connected, just in case.

Here's the catch. The $3/month plan does NOT include data. My question to the community is: does that really matter? I like the idea of being connected to receive calls and texts. Gchat/hangouts would have been nice, but I'll survive. If I'm going out without my phone (jogging or something), I probably don't need email access for that hour. Any music I'll just play off the device storage. Am I missing anything that I would really need data for on a regular basis for when I'm cellphone-less? On those (hopefully) very rare occasions, you can pay T-Mobile $5/day or $10/week for data.

Thoughts? Just like everyone, I would rather pay Verizon $5/month for data/voice/texts on a gear s3, but not waiting and paying $3/month for just voice/texts is sounding very appealing given Verizon's silence.

0 Likes
Highlighted

I believe the gear s3 uses data to transmit voice phone calls. It's not same as a cell phone as I understand you use data to make voice calls. Also if you get tmobile version make sure you are in big city or have a T MOBILE tower close by. I live in area with only towerrs that tmobile rents or roams on and watch will not connect I had to return mine..

0 Likes
Highlighted

I knew too good to be true! Argh. I was worried that were true for text messages as I heard it passes through Samsung's server back to your cell phone prior to sending which is why txt messages from the gear s3 show your cell phone number. Voice over data seems like they're just trying to make things difficult.

0 Likes
Highlighted

Hey guys, I've been with Verizon for a long time and have a business account with them as well. and since the way they are treating me about this and other thing with my account i'm about to switch to t-mobile. also if you want the GEAR S3 got buy it from AT&T OR T-mobile and it will work on Verizon. how it works is just like forwarding a phone in this case the watch. you do it through the GEAR S3 APP I've been doing it now for the past week and everything works great! Hope this help all you upset people just like me!

Highlighted

It is my understanding that the remote connection to your phone is what gives the GS3 the ability to receive texts, whatsapps, and any other notifications.  The calls themselves can be forwarded, so you can receive even if not connected to cell.  This should mean that you can use a different carrier, but you do need data connection.  Am I correct?

In any case, if your cell is off or disconnected, I don't think messages or notifications can be received by the GS3, even with numbersync (att).

0 Likes
Highlighted

I want to use the S3 standalone without my smartphone. To make or receive calls and/or texts, direct cellular reception is necessary. The only somewhat reliable vendor with reception in my greater area is unfortunately Verizon. I am STUCK with Verizon. Verizon has always had an attitude problem. They are too rich and powerful to care about me and my needs and if I go away they could care less. That goes for pretty much for everyone else as well. They are smug and arrogant and I've had to put up with them for many years because no one else can get a reasonable signal to me. So here I sit and I'll be forced to wait without any information or consideration whatsoever. I'm ONLY a customer. What else is new.

Highlighted

Leader

I'm not understanding what your point is.

0 Likes
Highlighted

Exactly what you said Smiley Happy must have data and remotely connected any carrier...stand alone is calls only

Highlighted

Novice

Well, I just picked up the T-Mobile version. So far, so good. I haven't found anything yet that I can't do that I could do with my Gear S2 3g. It paired easily with my VZW S7 edge and began getting notifications immediately. I tested the remote connection feature by turning off my phone's BT radio off. I immediately started getting and responding to emails, texts and other notifications. Battery life is good so far and I expect it to improve as my first Gear S and then Gear S2 3g both started poorly and then improved after a few days/restarts. Love the bigger screen with same resolution as it makes everything larger and more easy to read.

I have 14 days to try it before deciding whether to keep/return it. Hopefully we will have hard info from VZW by then. And I really hope the Spotify app is available before I have to decide.

Highlighted

If think we ordered it online tmobile page we have 20 days ....lol

0 Likes