Highlighted

Re: When will Samsung Gear S3 be launched with Verizon?

I heard something about this but the information was pretty vague..

Ok so if you do not have a samsung phone what functionality are you missing then..

I would love to hear facts for once

0 Likes
Highlighted

Sr. Leader

SAINTPOLARBEAR wrote:

I heard something about this but the information was pretty vague..

Ok so if you do not have a samsung phone what functionality are you missing then..

I would love to hear facts for once

First and foremost SamsungPay functionality is missing because SamsungPay is required to be on the phone and is not compatible with non-Samsung phones. FACT.

The only messaging system which is fully functional is Samsung's own texting application which is not as good as many others on the market. Yes, you can receive notifications on the watch from non-Samsung texting apps, but you cannot view conversations or initiate messages except for on you phone. AW devices are able to do so with MULTIPLE texting applications of your choosing. FACT.

The only email system which is fully functional is Samsung's own email application which is not as good as many others on the market(in my opinion). Yes, you can receive notifications on the watch from non-Samsung email apps, but you cannot view emails or initiate emails except for on your phone AW devices are able to do so with MULTIPLE email applications of your choosing. FACT.

This goes on and on with MANY apps, requiring you to download an app for the phone and an app for the watch separately(which MOST app developers do not have or have interest in developing) instead of downloading a single app for the phone which itself has functionality on the watch as MOST(if not all) apps include for Android Wear devices. This is a MAJOR drawback for Samsung choosing to go with a DIFFERENT OS(Tizen) for the watch than it has on its phones. FACT.

0 Likes
Highlighted

Sr. Leader

rcschnoor wrote:

Well, the Urbane2 has a 57mAh battery while the Gear S3 has a 380 mAh battery. That is quite the energy boost.

Sorry, that should be a 570mAh battery on the Urbane2 vs 380 mAh battery on the Gear S3. MUCH better battery capacity on the Urbane2 than the Gear S3.

0 Likes
Highlighted

But did you hear when Verizon is releasing the product?

0 Likes
Highlighted

Novice

Apparently, Samsung Pay will work with Gear S3 on any Android phone running 4.4 or higher: http://www.talkandroid.com/305369-samsung.  And while the Urbane has a bigger battery, most users seem to think tizen is much more battery efficient than AW.

Highlighted

Sr. Leader

CORLAB67 wrote:

But did you hear when Verizon is releasing the product?

No and I don't really care UNLESS Samsung were to commit to FULL functionality with other android devices. I don't see why they would limit themselves in this way. Android has a HUGE user base and Samsung is effectively ruling out ANY of those people choosing to purchase their device who do not have a Samsung phone.

Samsung is reluctant to let anyone know HOW dismal the app selection is for their watches because there is no way to access their watch app store WITHOUT actually having one of those watches. That is why I was reluctant to purchase a Gear S2 for so long. Unfortunately, I did so eventually because I simply couldn't help myself. I have come to regret that decision as the watch is MUCH less useful with android devices OTHER than Samsung phones. It simply CANNOT interact with MANY apps which incorporate AW functionality into the phone app. Basically, you can see notifications on your watch and then have to pick up the phone in order to act on those notifications where you can actually take action on ANY OTHER android wear device without picking up your phone.

Yes, I have a Samsung phone and the S2 works well with it. I prefer other android phones(or APPLE devices for that matter) over my Samsung phone, though, and will only occasionally use my S2 as a result. I will normally be using another smartwatch instead which, being an AW/iOS device, has full functionality with either android/iOS respectively.

0 Likes
Highlighted

Sr. Leader

THAT is promising news! I may have to take a closer look, but am not hopeful if other apps simply don't work as they do on android wear.

0 Likes
Highlighted

Well that jus puts a pause on the whole thing for me now

0 Likes
Highlighted

Novice

Totally agree about full functionality and lack of apps. I think Samsung has finally realized that it will not have a dominant watch ecosystem. What I have liked about the Gear devices since the original S is the independence from the phone. While the app selection is poor, there are a few good ones I have been using. Gear Navigator Standalone offers full NAV using Google maps image and traffic routing info. It drains battery quickly because of using display,  GPS and cellular radio, but works well for driving,  biking or walking. The same developer wrote Places, which is a better version of the Yelp app. MyNotes in Gear is pretty good at syncing lists and allows you to make remote changes and then sync up.  The original Gear S had a decent Opera browser, but Opera gave up and didn't port it to the S2. TinyWeb is available, but sucks. Milk Music streaming actually worked well with BT earphones. I am looking forward to Spotify on the S3 (and maybe S2)

I haven't used an AW watch since trying the Moto 360 2d generation last summer. Originally I had the LG Watch.  Once I was used to independence from the phone, going back to a BT watch just wasn't worth it. Which is why I guess smartwatches he's have not really taken off: people don't see the value. 

0 Likes
Highlighted

So I spoke with Verizon today. Of course they did not have any information if they will be selling the watch tomorrow. I spoke with AT&T and if you pay the $349 the watch will be unlocked and you can get a sim card from VZW and use their LTE. It's a shame that the #1 mobile provider can not provide any update.

0 Likes