Re: Will people on Verizon's legacy/grandfathered unlimited data plan still get unlimited data under 5G?
Benitez147
Contributor - Level 1

@jl8472 wrote:

"We get a lot of questions of how these legacy plans will be treated in a 5G world. At present time, Verizon has only extended 5G access to current plans, not legacy plans. It is unknown if the carrier will allow swapping of gUDP and pUDP SIMs into 5G devices once they are available. Verizon is under no obligation to allow grandfathered plans to have 5G access, as their terms of open access will not apply to the spectrum they are using for 5G, like it did under their LTE rollout."

I wondered the same thing about 5G.  Apparently Verizon was obligated to give 4G, they are NOT for 5G.  So us gUDP holdouts might be S.O.L.

Not sure why my reply got bundled in with the message I was trying to respond to. My original message was:

Where did you get that quote from? I agree with you about us being S.O.L. They were forced to follow stick stipulations when they won the auction against Google for the 700 MHz spectrum. It is better to play a wait game until Verizon finally addresses our gUDP, but worst outcome is that you won't be able to get a 5G device. Fine by me, as more people leave the 4G network and leave to 5G, 4G network will be less congested for us that are on it, so I assume we'll get higher speeds due to freed up bandwidth. The benefits of keeping gUDP still outweigh the negative benefits:

1. Unlimited GB of tethering

2. Can put SIM card in any 4G device

3. Not subject to deprioritization congestion like these new "unlimited" plans.

0 Likes
Re: Will people on Verizon's legacy/grandfathered unlimited data plan still get unlimited data under 5G?
shane245

No, Ive been grandfathered for 17+ years, had unlimited data, I just upgraded my plan on 10/7 with the start unlimited, we had 2 lines shared 500 mins w/ unlimited data, text. our bill for the last 15 yrs was runing us 125.00 per month, we always bought our phones at retail price. Grandfathered means nothing now. my bill kept going up. it had gotten to 178.79, and last month to 198.00 per month. (different weird taxes I never heard of was added to the bill).  I got the start unlimited , they told me my plaan was so old they've never heard of it. with my new plan, I have unlimited text, talk and data, my bill is lowere for two lines I only pay 162.91  per month, which is cheaper than my grandfathered plan. Almost all plans now come with unlimited text, talk , and data. More than likely you can still get unlimited under 5G, everyone can now whethere grandfathered or not. 

0 Likes
Benitez147
Contributor - Level 1

@shane245 wrote:

No, Ive been grandfathered for 17+ years, had unlimited data, I just upgraded my plan on 10/7 with the start unlimited, we had 2 lines shared 500 mins w/ unlimited data, text. our bill for the last 15 yrs was runing us 125.00 per month, we always bought our phones at retail price. Grandfathered means nothing now. my bill kept going up. it had gotten to 178.79, and last month to 198.00 per month. (different weird taxes I never heard of was added to the bill).  I got the start unlimited , they told me my plaan was so old they've never heard of it. with my new plan, I have unlimited text, talk and data, my bill is lowere for two lines I only pay 162.91  per month, which is cheaper than my grandfathered plan. Almost all plans now come with unlimited text, talk , and data. More than likely you can still get unlimited under 5G, everyone can now whethere grandfathered or not. 

Not sure what type of grandfathered unlimited data you had that is $198.00. I have 2 lines on my account and I pay $108.45 for everything. You have the Start getting [removed*] up over plan now. Now your plan is cheaper, but you're subjected network congested when a tower is busy any time. My plan will not have that with my data plan because it is not subject to deprioritization. I can watch a YouTube video at 12 p.m. or 5 p.m. and know it's not going to buffer on me. I also have "unlimited" minutes if you read the trick I typed a few replies back. Good that you're happy with your new plan, but seems like you made a bad choice. 

You could have taken the SIM card out and put it on a mifi device and anyone around you would get free WiFi on family trips or whatever.

*Content removed per the Terms of Service of the Verizon Wireless Community.

0 Likes
fredtheocelot
Enthusiast - Level 3

Thanks @jl8472 that's the clearest explanation I've seen.

"We get a lot of questions of how these legacy plans will be treated in a 5G world. At present time, Verizon has only extended 5G access to current plans, not legacy plans. It is unknown if the carrier will allow swapping of gUDP and pUDP SIMs into 5G devices once they are available. Verizon is under no obligation to allow grandfathered plans to have 5G access, as their terms of open access will not apply to the spectrum they are using for 5G, like it did under their LTE rollout.

This is my gUDP

Nationwide Talk 450 39.99
Email & Web Unlimited 09/16 - 10/15 49.99

Plus taxes fees etc.

0 Likes